Socializing

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 24th, 2006, 06:01 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So it's school holidays over here (end of therd term) and a dad came with his two daughters to get some keys cut. (dh is the town locksmith) As soon as I told Sarah 'theres two little girls out the back with there dad' she's off like a shot. My daughter is super social, something which gives me twinges of future dobt for homeschooling that I will be able to privide enough socializing opertunities for her in this town whith barly any other homeschoolers. If there are, they might be under the radar. (A lot go under radar in our state, about 20,000) So anyway dd goes bolting out and disapears down the side to were dh is cutting keys. I didn't hear anything then about 10 minutes later dd comes back in looking very down saying 'the're shy'
Dh told me later that dd had asked him 'why don't they like me'? Neather of the girls would even say hello to dd even though she asked them directly what there names were. Aparantly there dad answerd for them after awhile of silence. They wernt little little kids either, probably about 6 and 7 and going to school. I tried to explain that maybe they were just scared to talk to people they didn't know, but dd seems to have taken it personaly. She's just not use to social rejection.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
September 24th, 2006, 06:09 PM
ilovemy3wikids
I'm so sorry to hear that, my DD is the same way, she'll talk to anyone!

Guess I should hop on a plane and they can play together
September 24th, 2006, 06:33 PM
I'm sure my daughter would love that.

September 25th, 2006, 08:53 AM
choshojo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Some children simply won't be as social as yours. I think it's even a good thing that your daughter be exposed to children of all different sorts of personality so that she doesn't grow up thinking that everyone is going to receive her as warmly as she would receive them (it'd be nicer if the world didn't make that a necessary lesson, but it does).

As far as your concern about her future socialization, you can always try to find non-homeschooled children for her to play with regularly. I'm not sure how large of an area you live in, but if you have a local park you can take her to after your town's school hours, you might bump into some children there that your daughter might enjoy spending time with.

But also keep in mind that socialization does not have to, nor should it, mean socializing with just people of her age group. One of the wonderful things about homeschooling is that our children are often better-equipped to handle the real world as their peers can be people of all ages and they don't have the limitations of socializing with children who are exactly their own age, which I think can often hinder their comfort level with people of other ages.

It sounds to me that your daughter is off to a great start socially!

September 25th, 2006, 12:14 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awww, those kids were just weird!

I remember in the first grade in Eli's health, safety and manners book that it talked about speaking up and answering others even if you feel shy. That it is rude to just sit there and look like a deer stuck in the headlights.

My Remy is a strange one and does this when ANY new lady speaks to him. I think women just freak him out!

Eli on the other hand is a talker. He gets it honest, from me. *sigh*

September 25th, 2006, 02:08 PM
choshojo, I know it was a 'life lesson' and all, I just wish it didn't have to happen! I felt so disapointed for her.

September 26th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
"Hugs"
That is so hard. I can remember Madison coming home from school with complaints about the other girls doing her wrong and I just wanted to call them and say, "Who do you think you are?" It's so hard and you just don't know what to do about it. The good thing for your daughter is that they aren't girls that she is going to see on a daily basis or maybe even ever again. Just let her know that they were the ones with the problem..maybe painfully shy or something...so she doesn't take it personal. That's what I always tried to do if I knew that Madison didn't do anything wrong.
I know it's hard...so so hard .
September 26th, 2006, 08:54 AM
choshojo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
choshojo, I know it was a 'life lesson' and all, I just wish it didn't have to happen! I felt so disapointed for her.[/b]
I understand, it's very hard when our children get their feelings hurt. But we can't, and shouldn't, expect to be able to shelter them from every harshness if we want them to be able to function in the real world.

As long as your daughter understands that there is nothing wrong with her that made them have such bad manners or shyness around her, I'm sure she will be fine, and that's all you can really do about the situation.

September 28th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We're already dealing with mean kids because he's in daycare 2x a week. It really sucks but like somone said she doesn't have to see them again if she doesn't want to.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search