starting out, yet not a newbie

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 25th, 2006, 11:26 PM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
hi everyone! im valarie (23), wife to matt and mama to 2 boys - ricky 3.5 and christian almost 15 months.

me and dh have talked about homeschooling for quite a while and im realizing that at 3 years old my son is WAY mature enough to start getting some "lessons" and so we begin our home-preschooling journey. yet im new but not new to this. i was lead teaching a christian preschool class for about 4-5 months until i got big and prego and my class grew from 3 to 20 like overnight! so i stepped down. teaching was definitely not for me in that scenario. but i love the idea of teaching my own child and having the kind of fun i did have with my smaller classes, now with my own kids.

my oldest is 3 1/2 years old. he has an extrememly smart brain in him. he learns things really fast and can remember SO much more than we even realize.

so a few questions about preschool homeschooling. do you make your own cirriculum or have you bought one? i was thinking of just going to Learning is Fun (a teacher store here) to pick up some things, the family christian store to find some kids bible stories and activities and using some free online sites to get new and creative ideas...

i loved the cirriculum set up i had with my classroom before, i just wish i had more help. but with only 1-2 kids (and my own) it will be alot faster and easier. so im thinking of sticking with the same ideas...

do you have any tips for preschool? honestly, besides for writing and letter/number recognition, he knows alot. but i would like more structured learning time. it will keep both him AND myself more accountable for what we are learning.
˛ married to matt ˛
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
˛

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I ♥ triathlon, running & hot yoga!
September 26th, 2006, 12:17 AM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and

Quote:
do you make your own cirriculum or have you bought one?[/b]
I have done both. This year we have just done letter themes I made up, games and Five In A Row books.
Next year if I feel she is ready I would like to add in Math-U-See and Alphabet island Phonics.

Quote:
i was thinking of just going to Learning is Fun (a teacher store here) to pick up some things and using some free online sites to get new and creative ideas...[/b]
Sounds great to me.

Quote:
do you have any tips for preschool?[/b]
I think relaxed and fun is the key with younger kids. I would be very carful with giving much worksheet based lessons even if your son loves it. It's well known that after a few years on a diet of worksheets that many kids just get burnt out on them; just when they are becoming a more usful lesson tool. I would if I wanted a structured lesson time; set aside a special school time, but I would keep what I do in that time fairly unstructured. Your ds may be very diffrent to my daughter. There is no way at 3 she would have co-operated with a structured learning time.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
September 26th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome!
I just started homeschooling last year with mine in the 1st, 2nd and 4th. However, I didn't send any of them to preschool. I just felt that anything they needed to learn for preschool could be taught here and that they deserved to be home for 5 years of their life since they would be in school or working for the rest of it.
We are now in our second year of homeschooling....they are in the 2nd, 3rd and 5th. We are so happy with it.
As far as what I did for preschool...just like you said...used my own stuff. It was all they needed and they did great with the little Kindergarten entrance exam, so I know that got what they needed. Sam's has the Comprehensive Curriculum books that are GREAT!!!!!!!!!!
Have fun and come around often .
September 26th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Your oldest boy sounds like my oldest boy, Xander. He's going to be four in Feb. and is extremely smart and mature for his age. I started doing 'school' with him last year helping him with colors, counting and his letters and letter sounds. This year (we've only been doing school for 2 weeks so far) I've pertty much came up with my own curriculum. I've been printing up work packets on-line. (Check out some of the links these ladies provide. They are wonderful) My work sheets pretty much consist of coloring sheets. Xander loves to color. I have coloring sheets for bible studies. The only worksheets I have him really do are his letter tracing sheets. And then at the end of the week he writes the letter we're working on with out tracing it. I also use a lot of computer games. We just got this Phonics Success 2006. It's originally $20 but we got it on clearence at Toys R Us for $7. It's really simple but Xander loves it.
September 26th, 2006, 08:44 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
I think you've got the right idea about preschool - just pick up thinge here and there that you think he would have fun with and learn at the same time. I know that my son loves shape activities like tangrams (taking basic shapes and making them into pictures) and I actually found a set of those at Ross for $5 or something cheap like that. School stores are GREAT but so dangerous for me to go in to! I see SO MUCH stuff that I want!
I have a comprehensive curriculum book that I got to do for my son (3 1/2) to do while I'm doing first grade with Reilly and it covers shapes and colors, numbers, things like that. He hasn't used it much and usually spends his time playing with legos or play doh or things like that. (He's not hugely interested in starting school yet!)
I know that there are some great links in the Project Ideas Subforum.

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

September 26th, 2006, 09:08 AM
choshojo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello and welcome!

I think it sounds like you've got a good grasp on what you are doing now. I agree that pre-school should not be too structured, just find things here & there that work with what your son is most interested in and ready for but make the focus a bit more on fun than classroom-style schooling.

We started early in schooling as well. Nothing official or structured, but my son knew his letters, numbers, shapes and colors before his 2nd birthday and continued to reach other milestones this quickly. One of the main reasons why we homeschool is because of how advanced he is. He would be bored to tears in his age-based grade level. He is 5, which would have placed him in kindergarten in my state this year, but his studies are between 2nd-3rd grade already.

I still use my own curriculum made up of materials I find in all sorts of places. When he gets ready for 4th grade material, I will likely look more into some pre-made curriculums, but for now we are doing a great job with what I have pieced together myself.

September 26th, 2006, 03:33 PM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
wow girls, i didn't think i was that good already! seems like im going to do much better than i think. the one thing i always said i was NOT good at was teaching, it was th eONLY career i didn't ever want to do but her ei sit ready and willing to try with my own child.

choshojo - my son is probably going to end up the same way which is why i feel it;s time for more structure. i enver "thought" about what io was teaching him in everyday life, it just happened. and now he knows his colors (which took alot of time, he just didn't get them for some reason), he can count, he follows directions SO well, he knows his shapes, all that good stuff...but im realize that at going on 4 (in februaru) with all that other stuff to learn out of the way, he is very capable of learning recognition of letters and numbers (he recognizes the difference between them though!), but i also want to start writing with him. im SO excited about having you all here to help! lol
˛ married to matt ˛
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
˛

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I &hearts; triathlon, running & hot yoga!
September 27th, 2006, 11:35 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome and have fun! I have a son named Remy JUST LIKE yours! And he loves the structure of school work. We use a purchased curriculum.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search