Homeschool Energy Walks

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 27th, 2006, 07:32 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Homeschool Energy Walks

There are definite times during the day when the energy slumps. You know those moments. Your child starts to drift, they become more resistant, that time right after lunch, the late afternoon slump. Either your kids feel it, or worse, you do!

It's a sign that your bodies are running low on oxygen, believe it or not. Yawning is the bodies cry for oxygen. When the cells in your body don't get enough "good air" they begin to burn their energy inefficiently. They need oxygen to generate and use energy for you.

So here's the easy solution. A 10 minute energy walk. Here's a snippit from the research:

I have been doing research for many years on the mood changes that occur with short, rapid walks. My latest findings clearly indicate that brisk walks increase people's feelings of energy, sometimes for several hours. They are a more effective (and less fattening) pick-me-up than a candy bar and can reduce tension and make personal problems appear less serious. These changes can be subtle, but repeated over time they become very apparent. Short walks may even make it easier to quit smoking.

It sounds silly, but it's incredibly efficient for lots and lots of reasons.

First, it gets you and your child outside. Fresh air. Just the act of standing and walking gets the deeper breathing moving more oxygen to the brain and body.

Second, if you "pant" like a dog, you accelerate the re-oxygenation of your body and brain. Teach your children to focus their breathing from their diaphram (tummy moving in and out) as opposed to the upper chest (chest moving up and down). Move lots of air. Try emptying your lungs out all the way, then filling up.

Third, if you or your child were bogged down with an educational task, this gives their and your brain a chance to "re-boot" and approach it from a different perspective, and a fresh, energy-boosted approach.

The energy boost, keeps on boosting. For up to 2 hours. According to research:

"Twenty minutes after the walk, there were significant increases in energy and decreases in fatigue and tension. The effects lasted for at least an hour, impressive results when you consider that it took only 10 minutes of rapid walking to produce them. Even after two hours, the increased energy from walking was still present to a small degree."

If the weather is bad, even an arm-lifting, march around the house will do the job (according to research):

I later repeated this procedure with people who walked on a treadmill in a bare-walled room, to ensure that the mood shift was not due simply to a stroll through the attractive campus surroundings. Again, the energizing effect held true

Learn More

If you are interested in learning more, here are some more references you can check out.

Energy walks: don't touch that candy bar. A short walk gives you a longer energy boost and improves your mood http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_..._v22/ai_6652838
This is a great article with the original research. It makes a great read to find out other tidbits and ideas.

Lesson Plan on Oxygen and Cell Respiration http://ww.lessonplanspage.com/ScienceO2CO2Cycle47.htm
This is a great lesson to help your child understand how important oxygen and how its integrated into living things and the ecosystem.

The Cells Of Your Body http://www.biologylessons.sdsu.edu/c...lab7/lab7.html
This is a lesson plan that's perfect for homeschooling. There are cookies, Hershey Kisses and toothpicks involved. Couldn't be better

September 28th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm going to start taking walks after lunch

September 28th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with this. We've been taking walks or bike rides or doing yoga everyday. Once everyone starts complaining about how tired they are, I know it's time to get moving!

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
September 28th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Once I get the house in order and everything moving in a new rhythm then we will start getting out for walks midday

September 29th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We took ours today here at OurPlace . The weather was beautiful today...54F this morning. We saved our walk until after lunch. We put Ginger on her lease and the 5 of us walked down the road to see the nice animals that a neighbors keeps. They love to be fed and such, however, today there was too much male hormone floating around and it was like a big meat market down there . The kids didn't figure out what was going on, but that Ram was going to make dang sure that nothing would get in the way of the plans he had with the lady of the bunch. Needless to say, when Carter nearly started crying because the ram was butting and hurting the smaller animals...we got out of there. That was hard enough to explain, I sure didn't want to have to explain when the ram finally got all of his cards in line. Whew....so much for hanging out with them today. At least it was a nice walk there and back. It woke me up from my after lunch funk!! It was good. We will just have to walk in the other direction next time!!!!!!!!!
October 2nd, 2006, 01:11 AM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
Quote:
We took ours today here at OurPlace . The weather was beautiful today...54F this morning. We saved our walk until after lunch. We put Ginger on her lease and the 5 of us walked down the road to see the nice animals that a neighbors keeps. They love to be fed and such, however, today there was too much male hormone floating around and it was like a big meat market down there . The kids didn't figure out what was going on, but that Ram was going to make dang sure that nothing would get in the way of the plans he had with the lady of the bunch. Needless to say, when Carter nearly started crying because the ram was butting and hurting the smaller animals...we got out of there. That was hard enough to explain, I sure didn't want to have to explain when the ram finally got all of his cards in line. Whew....so much for hanging out with them today. At least it was a nice walk there and back. It woke me up from my after lunch funk!! It was good. We will just have to walk in the other direction next time!!!!!!!!![/b]
that's a little humorous.

this is article is great info!!! thanks.
² married to matt ²
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
²

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I &hearts; triathlon, running & hot yoga!
October 4th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Oh no Shery! I feel so responsible!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search