Homeschooling questions

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2006, 02:12 PM
*Ashley*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just wanted to ask a few questions. My DD is only 2 1/2 but we are seriously considering her schooling options. I have been thinking about homeschooling her for a while now and in light of what has happened in schools this week the Bailey,CO school shooting (only three hours from where we live) the Wisconsin shooting and now the Amish school shooting, I have been seriously considering it. I was never home-schooled and nobody that I know was so I know nothing about it. What does it entail? Do you have to buy a lot of materials? Do you follow a certain curriculum? Do you have to follow certain rules of the public schools so your child is learning the right/same things? Do you have to be super smart (I'm not and idiot, I just think that there are some things that I learned in school that I will not remember)? I'm sure I will have more questions soon.

Thank you Katarina for my fabulous siggy!

October 2nd, 2006, 04:08 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Oooo, girl, you are in the RIGHT PLACE!! to the forum!
I'm Lisa and my daughter is 6 and in first grade so we are in our second year of homeschooling. I wasn't homeschooled, nor did I go to a private school, so I only had experience with public school growing up. In fact, I would never have thought about homeschooling had it not been for my husband's suggestion! He listened to Christian talk radio all the time and heard a lot about the state of the PS system, and THEN the Columbine shootings happened and that cinched it for us!

As for some of your questions:

Quote:
Do you have to follow certain rules of the public schools so your child is learning the right/same things?[/b]
The rules for homeschooling vary from state to state. You can find out the regulations at theHomeschool Legal Defense Association. <-------- I put a link there for you!

Quote:
Do you follow a certain curriculum?[/b]
There are so many curriculums out there that I don't think they could all be named!! I think that most people just do a lot of research online and get opinions from people at places like this forum. There's also a site for reading curriculum reviews that I love. The link is Homeschool Curriculum Review

Quote:
Do you have to buy a lot of materials?[/b]
Well, you can honestly buy as many or as few as you need. I think that, so far this year, I've spent about $200 on books and supplies, which is more than last year and probably less than I'll spend as the grades go up and we add more subjects.

As for being super smart, I don't think it's necessary to be a super genuis or anything. I'd say that I'm of average intelligence (maybe even a little above, I don't know) and things are going just fine so far. I know that I couldn't teach The Kids calculus or anything like that, so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!

Oooo, girl, you are in the RIGHT PLACE!! to the forum!
I'm Lisa and my daughter is 6 and in first grade so we are in our second year of homeschooling. I wasn't homeschooled, nor did I go to a private school, so I only had experience with public school growing up. In fact, I would never have thought about homeschooling had it not been for my husband's suggestion! He listened to Christian talk radio all the time and heard a lot about the state of the PS system, and THEN the Columbine shootings happened and that cinched it for us!

As for some of your questions:

Quote:
Do you have to follow certain rules of the public schools so your child is learning the right/same things?[/b]
The rules for homeschooling vary from state to state. You can find out the regulations at theHomeschool Legal Defense Association. <-------- I put a link there for you!

Quote:
There are so many curriculums out there that I don't think they could all be named!! I think that most people just do a lot of research online and get opinions from people at places like this forum. There's also a site for reading curriculum reviews that I love. The link is Homeschool Curriculum Review

Quote:
Well, you can honestly buy as many or as few as you need. I think that, so far this year, I've spent about $200 on books and supplies, which is more than last year and probably less than I'll spend as the grades go up and we add more subjects.

As for being super smart, I don't think it's necessary to be a super genuis or anything. I'd say that I'm of average intelligence (maybe even a little above, I don't know) and things are going just fine so far. I know that I couldn't teach The Kids calculus or anything like that, so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!

Even though our daughter is only 2 1/2, you're on the right track by starting to think about this now and start your research. I found two books really helpful and encouraging: So You're Thinking About Homeschooling by Lisa Whelchel and Home Sweet HomeSchool by Sue Maakestad.
I hope you'll stay around here and get to know us! We're a good bunch of ladies!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

October 2nd, 2006, 04:25 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and

Quote:
What does it entail?[/b]
Well homeschooling looks quite different from traditional school, and as there are also a number of different methods each homeschool will look different too. You will find everything from school at home through to unschooling (life learning) Homeschooling can be a real paradigms shift as it will redefine what you understand about education. On the legal side of things (assuming your from the States) each state has it's own hs laws. http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp is a good place to start on finding out what your state requires. Sometimes the laws can seem hard to understand, and even if it isn't, local homeschoolers are the best way to find out the nitty gritty of living with your laws. Some states will have things that look complicated till a local can you how it's easier then it first appears. For example some states will have a huge range of subjects listed which can seem daunting, but much of that is actually covered in simply living and talking to your kids.

Quote:
That's up to you. Those catalogs are hard to resist! Some people hs on very little.

Quote:
You can if you want. Some people homeschool with an entire boxed set from one place. Other people will buy one publishers LA, another publishers Math etc. other people will make there own, and unschoolers will use none at all unless there child asks for one.
Now a days there are about a million choices you can make in what curriculum to buy! Well maybe slightly less then that, but the amount out there telling you to "buy us, we're the best!" will astound you. Don't be in too much of hurry to buy anything.

Quote:
The state or local ps can not tell you what to use, that's up to you. You home isn't a public school it's privet. Many states will have provision in there laws for you to call yourself a privet school.
If you homeschool you only follow the state laws which are fairly broad. They may say cover English, maths, science and history. It's up to you if you want your child to learn the same things at the same time as public schools, but I think once you have read up on homeschooling methods you will see there is a whole other world of possibilities out there. There is no right thing to learn at any particular time.
Heres a link to start you on researching some of the different hs methods/ philosophies http://www.geocities.com/homegrownkidsau/H...lemethods1.html

Quote:
Do you have to be super smart (I'm not and idiot, I just think that there are some things that I learned in school that I will not remember)?[/b]
This link should put your mind at rest on this.
http://www.hslda.org/docs/study/comp2001/H...Achievement.pdf

ps. Lisa must have posted while I was writing and beat me to it!
pss. Lisa you need to go edit that!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
October 2nd, 2006, 08:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey I know you!

These ladies really know what they're talking about! I can't really add anything. If you want I can send an idea of what I do with Xander and how much it costs me and what not. Just give me a PM.
October 3rd, 2006, 09:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
My state requires a curriculum and at times that scares me but I find a simple one that is really easy to do without a lot of "book" work.
Quote:
A lot of what we do is done through video-games, reading, games and feild trips. So a lot of things I ask for for his birthday or christmas. We really wanted to get a math curiculum (my son watched the demo all day.) however we keep getting educational games instead. My best friends are my libbary card and musem card. I've spent a good $80 dollars this year and estemate another $100. Just because of his leapster, puting together a computer for him and membership fees. I by any work book from the dollar store and request any text from the libbary so it's farely cheap for us. We will have to pay for a tearcher evaluation every year which runs about $25 - $50
Quote:
What does it entail?[/b]
It depends on the state. we have to have an evaluation every year. We're still truing to figure out what it entails for us. Mainly pations to just figure out what's best for all involved

October 3rd, 2006, 01:56 PM
*Ashley*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for all of your help. You will probably see me around soon to ask more questions. I have already started looking at the laws in our state. Now I just have to convince my DH and figure out how the heck we will be able to afford it. I sell Mary Kay on top of my regular job so if I could get motivated to actually run my Mary Kay business I might be able to afford to not work.

Thank you Katarina for my fabulous siggy!

October 3rd, 2006, 03:44 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi!
I am in Louisiana and do not have to follow along with what the schools here are doing. However, I do get my kids tested once a year, so I am on some of the same stuff that the schools are on.
As for curriculum...I use a lot of different things. I use some of the same stuff the schools are on, but I also use a homeschool curriculum for their English and build my own Science and Social Studies stuff. I like this flexibility.
As far as the cost, we don't spend anymore than I was spending on school fees and school supplies when they were in school. We don't need the school supplies like they did in school. Also, because they are getting out every day, we are saving on the yearly school clothes shopping that we were doing per child. So, we are actually spending less homeschooling than we were with them in school . And...........are so happy with homeschooling.
Bring any questions that you have here. That's what the forum is for...that and support!!!!!
October 4th, 2006, 02:35 AM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
well all i have to say is WHEW. i can sigh a breath of relief, alot of the info was stuff i have been wprrying about but didn't even know where to start in asking it all..
thanks from me too!!!
² married to matt ²
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
²

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I &hearts; triathlon, running & hot yoga!
October 4th, 2006, 03:13 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Jo! That link is GREAT! I know a lot of mamas that would love to read that! Wow!

October 4th, 2006, 03:18 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Isn't it just. I re-found that just the other day and would like every homeschooling mum and dad to have it bookmarked! It's a great pick me up.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search