New here and dreaming of homeschooling in the future.

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2006, 12:15 AM
bubblesispreggers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers
Just wanted to say hello! I know I'm quite a ways away from the time when my child will be in school but I already know in my heart that I want to homeschool. DH says that the kid will need the "socialization" of school... I just asked him how old he was the first time he smoked a cigarette (he quit when we found out we were pregnant) and who gave it to him... he shut up real fast. He still doesnt like the idea though.

I know that I am qualified to teach my child all the way up to 12th grade but I was lazy and not committed in school so I only got my GED. I feel that I'm qualified because when I was in 3rd grade my IQ was tested to be at 140 and I have excellent understanding of everything I learned... mainly the reason I was so disinterested in school was because I knew everything they were teaching me. The thing that gets me is that in TN you have to have a bacculaureate to home-teach grades 9-12. I also read that you can get an exemption to that rule but that requests for said exemptions are "arbitrarily denied"... what a load of crap! These rules only apply to homeschools that are not associated with a church schooling system thingy (don't remember the exact terms). I feel that these rules are not only unfair but bordering on unconstitutional... if the home schooling parent is involved with a church organization that runs a school that parent is only required to have a highschool diploma or equivalent but for me, a non-religious person I have to have a degree? I don't understand. sorry for the vent

I know I have a long time before I have to worry about this but I was wondering if anybody else had experience with this type of situation? Maybe we should just move right before 9th grade.

I'm so confused.

Thanx

Jenny

</MARQUEE>
October 3rd, 2006, 01:33 AM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and Jenny

I decided to homeschool many years before I even had my kids. Nothing I have seen has changed my mind, only strengthened it. You have a lot off time to woo your dh over to the homeschooling side. Maybe as you learn benefits to hs pass them on to him in conversation. I would also pass on the negatives as they come up of traditional schooling methods. If you read down the threads here you will see some very sad threads on the recent school shootings. Not exposing our children to such things I know is one of the top reasons people in the States homeschool.

If you pop over to a recent thread about 'feedback' you will see a link I posted which shows outcomes for hs and public school students. On there they also show how a parents level of education does not greatly effect outcomes at all.

I wouldn't worry about 9th grade just yet.......maybe when your dc is...3? JK I try not to worry about anything which is not a year or two in the dc future. A lot of things may change long before you reach that bridge.

ps. I really like your skinny blond blinkie, too funny!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
October 3rd, 2006, 07:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Have him read "Dumbing us down" If he says somthing he's really intrested ask him where he learned it. Rarely he'll accually say school. Like the last post said a lot of things change in 15 years. hey mabe you'll deside you want you BA before then or it'll be consitered unconstetutional by then or you'll move. Just consentrate on one year at a time. You may deside you want to help prove it's discrimination if you feel strongly about it.

October 3rd, 2006, 07:25 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
I agree. Try not to worry too much about highschool right now. You never know where you will be then. Plus, they have a lot of accredited correspondance type schools you could probably use to get around things.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
October 3rd, 2006, 07:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Heh... try to find a bunch of statistics that show homeschooling is making kids smarter. I got a whole bunch of information to give to my family when they said homeschooling was bad.. And as to the socialization part... tell your SO that there's homeschooling groups all over the place and there are homeschooling sports teams. That's how I finally told my husband that I'd be alright with it because there are ways to get them socialization. And now I'm on board with it fully. I don't think a day goes by where I don't look stuff up for homeschooling. I'm waaaaaaay into it.
October 3rd, 2006, 11:30 AM
Thanx guys for all the replies! I really appreciate it! I've already saved the link to the big "S" word in my favorites... DH is going to read it soon. I'm sure I'll be hanging out on this board more often and I am thankful for the support!

Thanx

Jenny

</MARQUEE>
October 3rd, 2006, 02:46 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, I didn't realize that was the law in TN. If I were you, I just wouldn't worry that far ahead. If I felt led to homeschool, I would just start it and trust God to work out the future. I hope that it all falls into place for you. You two look like a precious couple with the little one on the way. I hope to hear more from you!!!
October 3rd, 2006, 05:57 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
I just wanted to reply and say DITTO to everything that everyone else said and to welcome you to the board! Please come back lots and lots! Congrats on your wedding and your little one!!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

October 4th, 2006, 01:53 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad to see you over here!

October 6th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Thank you ladies soo much! I"m glad to be here and I really appreciate the support. DH is coming around. Especially after reading that article on socialization.

Thanx again!

Jenny

</MARQUEE>
October 6th, 2006, 02:56 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's so good to hear!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search