Well, it's over...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 8th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
Friday was his first day back in public school. It was such a LONG day!!! My other son isn't old enough for public school, and seems fairly content on continuing his homeschooling education, but Preston has been begging me since week two to go back to regular school. I didn't like the idea, they are going to hold him back when I KNOW he can do so much better than what they say. We'll see, if he likes it, then so be it, I did tell him on the way to the bus stop that I was going miss him, he told me "It's ok mom, we can still do homework together" I cried, 8-4 is one LONG day!!!!
October 8th, 2006, 07:59 AM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Friday was his first day back in public school. It was such a LONG day!!! My other son isn't old enough for public school, and seems fairly content on continuing his homeschooling education, but Preston has been begging me since week two to go back to regular school. I didn't like the idea, they are going to hold him back when I KNOW he can do so much better than what they say. We'll see, if he likes it, then so be it, I did tell him on the way to the bus stop that I was going miss him, he told me "It's ok mom, we can still do homework together" I cried, 8-4 is one LONG day!!!![/b]

I must have missed an earlier post, but why is he back in public school???? Your son is the same age as my older daughter. And why oh why is he gone from 8-4????? That's a horribly long day!

</div>
October 8th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry. How'd it go for him? What was his resons for wanting to go to public school? That's such a long day for so young. Didn't you just start homeschooling resently? what happend? Are they aloud to hold him back without your premition? Is there any way you can move him to the next grade on a trial basic?

October 8th, 2006, 02:09 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So long as you realize, if you are letting it be his decision, that kids can be fickle and next week might want home again. Sometimes the first year can be tough, because that’s how long it can take for you all to find a homeschool groove. If you change your mind, or he changes his, you need to tell him that hs, like anything else deserves a proper trial, like 6 months at least.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
October 8th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Stellaluna's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm sorry you guys had a rough first few weeks . I hope you don't take offense to this, but you are the parent Willow and if you really feel that it's in his best interest for him to stay home, then he should stay home. I understand it can be hard when he says he wants to go back to regular school and you probably feel like you're in some way causing him to "miss out" but Jo is right and a decision as big as homeschooling needs a bit of a longer trial run in order to give it a fair chance.

Everybody has good weeks and bad weeks and of course there are going to be bumps in the road but the longterm benefits really make up for all the bad days, doubt and hard work.

Best wishes to both you and your family!

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">Homeschooling Mom to Sam (3-21-02)

My Photography Website

My Blog - Pollywog in a Blog</span>
October 8th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry it didn't work out . I wish he would have wanted to give it a little longer, but I understand where you want to honor his wishes as well. I hope it works out for him there, or that he will decide for himself that he wants to be homeschooled. We will still see you here, though .
October 9th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
Well, it seems like I was the only one that wanted him homeschooled....everyone was against me. I feel like a failure putting him back into public school, but he is happy again, and he still wants to do our lessons since they are only an hour or two long. I thought I might get some peace and quiet on Friday while he was gone, but all I could think about was how much I missed him, and it felt worse then the screaming the kids did. I agree that 8-4 is a LONG day. He gets the bus at 8 and gets dropped off a little before 4 pm. I know that I am the parent and it is my decision, but my husband has a say as well, and he wanted him in school from day 1. I was outnumbered. They are not holding him back grade wise, he is still in 1st grade, but at home he was doing 3rd grade math. I told the principle my doubts about that, and she said that the class they put him in, the teacher was a 3rd grade teacher, so she will give him some harder math, and try to push him more. I really hope that she does, if I see him falling behind, or doing less than I know he can, I will not hesitate to pull him out again, for the last and final time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search