Columbus Day

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 9th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Anyone taking today off?
We decided to do a half day today. The neighborhood kids are home from school today so of course my kids were hoping for the day off too. But I just couldn't bring myself to do it. It might sound harsh, but Columbus was not a very nice guy and doesn't deserve a holiday in my opinion. We used the half-day to get caught up on some of our extra subjects that sadly get passed over too often for "more important" work, like Math and Spelling. So today we did Latin Study, Critical Thinking work, and some study of Maps and Globes. Our study of maps did lead to a discussion about Chris Columbus and his discovery so that was covered. Then the kids decided they wanted to draw their own maps, so M drew a map of our neighborhood and E drew a map of the downtown area of town. It was fun, but now we are done for the day and they can go outside to play with their friends.

So what did you do today? Did you take the day off or do anything special? Did you discuss Columbus?

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
October 9th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi,
We didn't take the day off because we were already taking 2 this week. As for Columbus, we have been spending a lot of time on him anyway. I didn't realize until the studying that we have been doing that he was bad in a lot of ways. It is kind of hard to read some of the stuff because my kids are like...wow, he was mean. Anyway, we didn't do any extra about him today. I just let them know that it was Columbus Day and that we weren't taking time off because of our other days off .
October 9th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Expecting1
Working in a bank I already had the day off but it's not paid since I'm only part time..phooey.
October 11th, 2006, 01:44 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We did our normal day and we did not talk about CC as I was not aware it was that day. LOL!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search