Don't kids learn from other kids?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Veteran
My other concern about homeschooling is that she/they would ONLY develop my way of thinking and problem solving (or is it taught to you how not to do that in the curriculums)?

Don't kids learn from each other in school? Maybe I am getting to ahead of myself, but of course I want to make the best decision for my children and not stiffle their unique abilities.
October 24th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi,
Actually, children do not have the opportunity to learn from one another in the classroom setting. There is only one way to see things in the classroom and that is the teacher's/curriculum's. It is so bad that even when the child is given an "opinion" question on a test, it can be wrong if the child's "opinion" isn't the same as the teacher's or the book's. Children are taught in school to all think alike...the way that they are taught there. If a child dares to think or reason differently, he/she struggles.
On the other hand, with homeschooling children are allowed to learn the way that they are most comfortable with. Yes, the parent has a certain style of teaching, but the child does not have to be molded by it. It has been the greatest thing watching my daughter develop her own learning style since taking her out of school. She has grown so much and learned so much about herself...her confidence has soared. All of this because she is now able to get "out of the box" that she was forced to stay in at school. As for children learning from each other....it has been amazing watching my three do this. If I am teaching Patrick Math and Carter wants to stop what he is doing to watch, I let him. The younger ones are learning things ahead of time by watching the older ones and the older ones are learning to lead and teach by helping the younger ones. I just can't say enough about the flexibility to learn at home verses at school.
Even if you are only schooling one child, she will grow more with different learning styles with her family and her instincts than she will sitting in a classroom. This I know!
October 24th, 2006, 11:20 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Well put, Shery!
Also, if you join some sort of homeschooling group that offers classes, your kids will have an opportunity to learn from someone other than you. I know that the group that I belong to offers numerous classes for all the grades, although we joined too late to get in on any this semester. Some that are offered are Spanish, biology, elementary science, algebra, and so on and so on. It's great - I can't wait to get involved!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

October 24th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
There is only one way to see things in the classroom and that is the teacher's/curriculum's. It is so bad that even when the child is given an "opinion" question on a test, it can be wrong if the child's "opinion" isn't the same as the teacher's or the book's.[/b]
We discovered this first hand last year on one of Jack's tests in public school. It really bothered me that the question asked his "opinion", and yet since it wasn't the "right" opinion he got the answer wrong. If it weren't for that question, he would have made 100% on that test. But since his opinion was "wrong" he missed the question and got a much lower grade (because there were only a few questions on the test).

I think part of the beauty of homeschooling is that the kids are more at liberty to discuss things (with each other, their parents, whoever) and form their own opinions/views. They're not criticized because they think differently than the majority. Also you, as their parent/teacher, can see where their interests lie and give them more opportunities to enhance their skills/knowlege. As well, you can see where their weaknesses are and can fine-tune the curriculum or just stay with a certain concept as long as is needed. They don't have to just move along with the rest of the class whether they "get it" or not. IMO, that just sets them up for failure. I have experienced this first hand with my ds. He was failing math in 1st grade because he has a different learning style and couldn't keep up with the class. This year, however, since we're homeschooling now, I'm able to see where he needs some extra help and we can stay with a concept as long as we need to. I'm also able to present the lessons in a more understandable manner for him. As it is, he's flying through math this year with all A's!!! His confidence level has soared and he no longer says he's stupid. To me, seeing him feel so much better about himself and not down-talk himself because he doesn't understand something, is priceless. I can honestly say that he would never have gotten that self confidence boost in public school.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

October 24th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Veteran
WOW, great input! I need to start researching what guidelines my state has. THANKS SO MUCH!
October 24th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
he/they would ONLY develop my way of thinking and problem solving (or is it taught to you how not to do that in the curriculums)?[/b]
as much as some times you'd like them to, they will not just develop your way of thinking. Children question everything and come up with there own solutions as long as you let them ask question (Which doesn't happen in school) and you answer them as quickly and honestly as you can.
Quote:
Don't kids learn from each other in school?[/b]
Only how not to be noticed talking by the teacher. My nefew gets in trouble all the time for trying to help his peers out (like repeting the instrutions) and I find that really messed up. I don't want miguel to think it's wrong to help people. Children do learn from each other outside of class and there's still plenty of time to play outside school.

October 25th, 2006, 01:28 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My kids have a wide group of people in our lives that help to shape and mold them into who they will be when they grow up. And they have the TIME to actually learn from these people.

October 28th, 2006, 05:36 AM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great answers everyone; I can't think of a single thing to add.

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search