At my breaking point....

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 27th, 2006, 01:54 PM
mommymel78's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies, I am hoping you can make me feel better. My son is 5, he started kindergarten in August. He had already done preschool & did great, no real problems. After 3 days at the new school he is sent home with a behavior contract saying that he will now be receiving sad faces if he get his name on the board more than once & happy faces if he is good. I was shocked that my 5 was already being labeled as a behavior problem. I mean he isn't perfect but he is not a bad boy. So almost daily he comes home with a sad face listing all the things he isn't doing. And twice when he has gotten a happy face one of the teachers have overheard us praising him & said "we had to give him warnings all day" basically saying he didn't deserve it. I have yet to see him come home with any school work, homework or anything else stating the positive. But they are more than happy to tell all about the negative. There is so much more to the story, but I think it would take me an hour to type. We have had a conference with the teacher, talked to the princple, tried to switch him to another school (no room) & move him to the other K teacher. The other teacher is wonderful & so positive with her students. When I go to pick up my son at school she is singing with her students & they are all being so good. When my son's class comes out the teacher is yelling for them to stay in line or at a student. It makes me cry & feel so bad that my son can't have the same positive experience as he did in preschool. Basically I am at the point where I want to take him out of that school & homeschool him. Our son isn't upset or sad to go to school but he is acting out. This method that these teachers have is not working with our son, otherwise wouldn't his behavior be getting better not worst. Personally I think they don't like him & that he is a target. The latest thing that has happened is he got a progress report, they said he has no basic skills, doesn't listen, is disruptive, & more negative comments. There was nothing on it that was positive. This is upseting my husband & I alot. I can't sleep, I cry almost everytime I pick him up. I hope that you don't think I am a bad mom for letting him stay for this long, I just was hoping that he would be moved to the other teacher. I worry that I won't be successful at homeschooling him. I'm just looking for advice, I have no clue where to begin or what I need. Thanks for reading my book.

</div>
October 27th, 2006, 02:38 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
{{{{{ big hugs mumma}}}}} what an awful situation, and no of course were not blaming you. Kids mature at such different rates, so it's totally normal for kids under 7 to be all over the place in developing skills. I'm sure if I sent my almost five year old Daughter to school I would also get back 'has no basic skills, doesn't listen, is disruptive' Schools however have to have cookie cutter policies where they try and have all students on a fairly even playing field. I am totally against the pushing down of academics to all preK and K children. If you have a child who is willing and able, great. But some kids need less academics and more time to just play and mature, and that's great too. lol sorry getting on my soap box a bit there. I'm sure your ds has lots of wonderful qualities that I'm sorry that teacher overlooked.

What you need is to know your state laws regarding homeschooling. Tell us where you are and will will try and help with that. Once you know what to do, you will want to formally withdraw your son from that school.
I would then be giving him a break from all academic expectations which is called 'de schooling' While doing that, that will give you time to research how you want to homeschool. There are many different methods and heaps of curriculum's out there. Feel free to ask us any questions you might have, and welcome to the board!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
October 27th, 2006, 03:02 PM
mommymel78's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks I appreciate your words they made me feel better.

We are in California & I know that Kindergarten isn't required, but what does that mean? Does that mean he can start first grade next year with no problem. And how to I formally withdraw him? Also what is the best curriculum for K. Thanks again.

</div>
October 27th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
*hugs* I'm sorry you and your son are going through this. I can understand your frustration and anger!

Here's the HSLDA has on the laws for your state
California Laws

Also go to places like Amazon and Barns And Noble's websites and put in a search for homeschooling books. And there's a bunch of sites on homeschooling on the net. These ladies have provided a TON of links that I've used.

As to where you want to start... trust your instincts and follow your son's que.

Don't be shy to ask these ladies for more help too... they're a wonderful support system.
October 27th, 2006, 03:50 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok, I think it changes once you have enrolled your child in K. Like if you never enrolled then you just carry on living until compulsory age at 6, but if you had a child who was enrolled then the laws for compulsory attendance start then. If that makes any sense. I'm not 100% on that, but I've heard people say that before about once there enrolled. Hopefully someone from Cal will answer you on that. if not the best thing would be to find a local homeschooling group who knows exactly what you need to do. http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/default.asp has each states laws. Cal looks to be pretty easy.

http://www.christianhomeschoolers.com/hs_letter.html Hopefully that site should be of some help with a letter of withdrawal to your sons school. Theres a few sites around http://www.cthomeschoolnetwork.org/CtLaw-L...0Withdrawal.htm is another. I'de just front up to the office with the letter and say 'I am withdrawing my son from this school as I have made other educational arrangement's. No need to give away too many details. Some schools are helpful but others can give you trouble, asking for things that are not required in the law.

Are you planing on putting your son back in school next year? If he can start first grade would totally depend on where his skills are at that time. There are many curriculum's, as to which is best is a mute point. lol everyone has there favourites. heres my favorite review site http://homeschoolreviews.com/default.aspx Plenty of people don't even use a bought curriculum for K. World book has a scope and sequence for K, but every district has it's own. Maybe ask at your sons school before you go to withdraw him if they have a list of attainments for K. heres the world book one http://www.worldbook.com/wb/Students...m/kindergarten hope those sites help.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
October 27th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry.... My sister had the same problem but not with the teacher but the school. She took him out and placed him in a different school the next year and did very well. you may want to visit http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/

October 28th, 2006, 07:00 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
I'm so sorry you've had so much trouble! I can only imagine how tough it would be to only have the teachers say negative things about your baby.....grrrrrr!
So, is your son definitely not going to be moved to the class with the good teacher? I wasn't clear on where that stood.)

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

October 28th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I hate it when teachers can only give negative feedback! I have a friend who's going through the same thing with her 2nd grader. They're considering homeschooling now, too.

Do your research (the ladies here have given you some great sites) and talk with your dh. I think it's very important to have your dh's full support. If you do decide to take your ds out of ps to homeschool him, even if it's just for this year, remember that learning can be fun. We do lots of hands-on learning with projects, experiments, field trips, etc. I can't imagine putting my ds back in the public school system after homeschooling just this short time (started this year).
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

October 29th, 2006, 09:17 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just wanted to give you a cyper hug. And tell you to just go with your heart on this one. Not what you feel everyone else wants you to do. Or what everyone else (society) tells you is normal and good for your baby. He is yours. And I know you will make the right choices for him. I am so sorry that you have had to deal with this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search