Lapbooking?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 30th, 2006, 02:57 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
I know that this has been posted before, but a friend and I were talking today about lapbooking and I think it's something that Reilly would enjoy. I just feel a little intimidated at the idea of getting started! So, what are some tips that you who have done this would give? Are there any sites that give good examples? I'm trying to think of some new things to do to make school interesting!!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

October 30th, 2006, 03:47 PM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok, First year here:
What is lapbooking!

</div>
October 30th, 2006, 07:04 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Krista...I will let the ladies here show off their lapbooks....You will love them.

I wanted to do one for Halloween...but I don't have a folder. I think I may make something along those lines though tomorrow.

October 30th, 2006, 08:33 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have done 3 lap books. First was more of a hands on play lapbook I made for dd on animals, the other two went with our FIAR books madeline and Ping.

Quote:
What is lapbooking![/b]
Lapbooking (also known as shutter books, flapbooks, and portfolders)is a creative way to display flat work on a gien topic. You take a file folder or a piece of large card and fold it so the front opens down the middle. http://www.canby.com/hockmanchupp/portfolder_instr.html This isn't set in stone, you make them how you want them, but that is the traditional style.

Into your folder you might have some mini books on your topic. Heres one way to make a mini book. http://library.thinkquest.org/J001156/maki...ibook/index.htm
There are many what is called 'folds' types of books. The books may be mainly picture with a caption or a number of lines of writing depending on the book and age of the child.

other things you can include may be a map, a file folder type game, photos of things you made or did such as experiments, a wheel showing little pictures say on the life cycle of a catterpillar or a frog for example. Also flaps to lift. I found if you have a picture or a map it looks best if you glue it to some colourful light card as a flap or colourd paper and glue it down in the folder. often items are put as flaps to give you more room underneath.

Some photos http://www.waldsfe.org/Snap%20Shots/..._flapbooks.htm
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/a_bzn_mom/al...n_mom/my_photos
They can be simple or very fancy. Mine are no where near Abzn moms. There is a yahoo lapbooking group you can join and a few sister groups which hold most of the photos.

I hope that kind of explains them. Lol tell me if thats as clear as mud.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
October 30th, 2006, 08:40 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry I kind of forgot to reply to you lisa.

Quote:
So, what are some tips that you who have done this would give?[/b]
Don't be too ambishous! keep it simple till you get a feel for it. Don't overfill it to start with. Make sure where posible make it your childs work lol it's easy to take over too much.
Tell me what it's on and I will see if I have some ideas I can think of/ link you to.

Ouch can you tell I didn't use a spell check?

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
October 31st, 2006, 03:59 AM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies; that looks pretty nifty!
I'll have to think of a topic to do this with Madison this year.

</div>
November 5th, 2006, 05:37 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
I've been curious about lapbooks..need to really look into what they are all about..lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search