Are Fridays difficult for you?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 3rd, 2006, 06:52 AM
machris's Avatar Veteran
I was in a store last night that had these flashcards, they had flashcards on everything from math facts, to insects, to presidents. I got an idea

basically you can put anything you want on a flashcard right?

and my kids like working with them when we do

So I was thinking of maybe making Fridays "Flashcard Friday"
I could have some with the characters of the story we are reading, and what else we are working on.
it would make Fridays more fun
and get us through that tough part of the week

DH thinks I am insane because this means more work but I hate to say "OK time for school" and hearing groans KWIM?

what do you think? and do you have any other ideas that can make Fridays a littl emore exciting/

THANKS

Mary-Ann

November 3rd, 2006, 10:12 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What makes Fridays difficult for us is trying to finish up everything. With so much going on all the time during the week, there are things that keep getting pushed to the next day. Well, on Friday, it has to all be done. Plus, this is the day that I do all of the "test" (Spelling, Reading, Vocabulary, Math, etc.). So, yes, it is a harder day than most.
Have fun with the cards. The kids do enjoy a break from the normal routine. Yesterday, I got out a board game that utilizes math skills and we had SO MUCH fun with it. We say around for a couple of hours and played that game and ate their Halloween candy . It was great and they learned a lot of their facts from it!!!
Have fun!
November 3rd, 2006, 12:16 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
I think that Flashcard Friday sounds like a lot of fun. Also, a friend of mine just turned me to the idea of "file folder games" which are just games that you paste into a filing folder. This friend had two books, one for preK which has numbers, colors, shapes, etc. and one for first grade, which covers addition, higher numbers, reading games, place value, etc. You just cut out the pieces and paste certain parts to the file folder and viola! You have a great learning game! She loaned the books to me and I'll post pictures when I get one put together.
Also, one thing my kids always enjoy for a school-starter is having "show and tell"! I have them choose something from their room and then they tell us what they chose (even though we've already seen everything they own!), why they chose it, what they like about it or what makes it special to them...things like that. It really cuts down on the grooooaaaaaaannnnnns that I sometimes hear when we start the school day!

Hope some of this was helpful!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

November 3rd, 2006, 01:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What we did this week was to spend our Friday doing all of our "elective" type subjects. So we did Recorder lessons, Latin, Typing, and a trip to the Library. Those are all things they enjoy and don't consider "work." We also met a friend at an indoor playland, so maybe that counts as P.E. I think I may try that schedule every week, saving Fridays for all the "fun" subjects.
I like the Flashcards idea too. My kids would probably enjoy it. They seem to like it when we do stuff like that. The other day we did a game where they had to make cards with a description of a family member on one side and the family member's name on the other side (It was actually an assignment from our 6th grade English book, but we all did it.) Then we mixed up the cards and took turns reading the descriptions and we all had to guess who it was about. They had a blast with that.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
November 5th, 2006, 04:03 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think a flashcard Friday would be fun!

I haven't really noticed that Friday's are like that for us. But we generally have a 4 day school week with a 5 day week here and there.

November 5th, 2006, 04:22 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Yeah we have a 4 day schedule and Friday's we call Fun Friday and we play games , and do crafts and such. Monday's are my hard day.. we usually go no where and do as much ( well with my 7th grader) as possible so we can have our 4 day school week!
November 6th, 2006, 04:07 AM
Kangaroo510
I think that sounds great if your kids would enjoy it. If my mom had bought flashcards and said "Fridays are now Flash Card Day!" I would have said "Can't we just do the regular stuff?". Haha. I hate flashcards!

For us (mind you we weren't overly structured) fridays was usually mall day. My mom and I would usually go to the mall and roam around, have lunch together and sometimes stop on the way home and get a slurpee from the 7/11. Now, this might not sound like good homeschooling practice but I'll tell you, I remember so much about those trips and it helped my mom and me to really build a strong bond. We are incredibly close. Basically I look at it as having a 4 day school week. Plus wich homeschooling ANYTHING can become a lesson. Even if we just went to the grocery store I got to help figure out what was the best deal and how much we were going to spend and keep track of the prices. Because of this I am a great bargin shopper to this day!

File folder games are great too! I used to use those when I worked with Kindergarteners. Fun and easy clean up to me!
November 6th, 2006, 10:40 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awww... I love that! I try to make those memories with my boys as well.

November 7th, 2006, 05:54 AM
machris's Avatar Veteran
thanks for the advice

M-A

November 16th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Sandra314's Avatar Homeschooling Mom
Send a message via Yahoo to Sandra314
We do pretty good throughout the week and then Friday comes and it's like "slow motion day" on everything we do. I'm thinking of cutting our week to just four days and using Friday for catch up days.

Married for 14+ years to the love of my life. Currently TTCing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search