Doing an "experiment" ON my kids!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 7th, 2006, 05:22 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
I've noticed that Reilly has seemed to be kind of cranky lately, especially when we're in school, and that got me to thinking about breakfast. Last year, I would almost always give The Kids a one piece of bacon or sausage with their breakfast. I stopped doing that over the summer because, frankly, who feels like cooking sausage in August? I started to wonder if maybe her crabbiness might have something to do with her not getting any protein in the morning. So I've decided to make sure that she (and Deco) get some sort of protein wih breakfast to see if that makes a difference. (It seemed to this morning, but I want to give it more days before I make a verdict!)

Now, does anyone have any ideas for sources of protein other than bacon or sausage? *blushes at lack of food pyramid knowledge!* Eggs are good, right?

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

November 7th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Peanut butter...GREAT any time of the day!!!
November 8th, 2006, 03:22 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
I second Peanut Butter.. we go thru a jar every 3-4 days around here.. if my kids get off kilter I always have them have some on a spoon..They love it and it def helps perk things up around here!
November 8th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Kangaroo510
Eggs are great to. I make myself an egg white omlette sometimes with some ham and cheese and that keeps me going all day! (you don't even miss the yolks!)
November 8th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Eggs, milk, cheese,nuts, seeds, are all souces of protein. What's important in the morning though is whole grains. Some real honest oatmeal (not the flavored stuff in little packages) with raisins or sliced fruit in it is great or even rice cakes with fruit spread or peanut butter. The whole grains keep em going longer throughout the morning, whereas something like breakfast cereal will make them hungry again soon. My two oldest are cereal junkies so they don't always practice what I preach, but at least it's organic, low sugar cereal.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
November 8th, 2006, 07:20 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
OH, I hadn't thought about whole grains! The Kids love oatmeal, and I usually DO give them "real" oatmeal and not the packaged stuff, just because it's cheaper!
Deco LOVES peanut butter, but Reilly doesn't like it...weird child, eh? What kid doesn't like PEANUT BUTTER?!? But, she will eat it on apples, so maybe I can try it on rice cakes and see if she likes that.

Thanks for the tips!!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

November 8th, 2006, 10:16 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
We are eating more whole grains since Jadziah got sick a few weeks ago..no more white anything in this house..
November 8th, 2006, 12:43 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds great...but how do you get them to eat it?

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
November 8th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Kangaroo510
Start young and don't give them other choices! That might sound tough but if you start it when they are young they don't know the difference. If your kids are older it might be harder.

The boys I nannied for would eat fiber one cereal or cheerios (the plain ones) for breakfast. They didn't have sugary cereal in the house at that point so they didn't know any different. They also ate whole wheat bread and other "healthy" stuff. Thats what I plan to do with my kids!
November 8th, 2006, 01:42 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My daughter use to eat so well up till she was about 2. before that she would eat whole grain cerial, after that she decided to drink her milk and not eat! She simply stoped eatting breakfast. I think from there other less wholesome foods gradualy creped in. Sigh. My ds now has pretty much always been picky. peanut butter and honey on bread, and fruit are his main stays. he barly touches meat or vegtables. Oh yes apart from hot potato chips! Again he will choice not to eat. Good luck! Hope your kids are better eatters then mine!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search