Any other organic families??

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 8th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Kangaroo510
I've seen a few of you on another board talking about organic foods and products and I thought it would make a cool board or maybe sub forum or something. This is something I am kinda new to. My brother and SIL have gone completely organic and have seen such great health improvements including weight loss and my parents do as much organic as possible but cheat a little! Right now I am bringing as many organic/natural products into my home as possible. We don't have a lot of money right now so that makes it harder but I think it's really important with the more you read about food processing. I notice on one of the other boards the ladies were talking about our girls developing faster and saying it might have something to do with the hormones in beef and milk. I hadn't ever thought of that but was wondering why are girls are growing up so fast! My SIL's developed so quickly. One started her period when she was 12, the next one was 11 and the third one is 10 and I know she must be very close. She has become so... uh.. developed. It's scary! Freaks my husband out! I brought up the milk/beef thing to him and he agreed that it was a good point. Something I'm definately going to look into. I told him "No non organic milk/beef for DAHLIA!!!". He agreed.. haha. We actually plan to give her nothing but organic foods or atleast all natural. I'm going to make her baby food but I'm seeing a lot more organic baby products so we will do the organic ceral and keep some jarred foods on hand for emergency.
Anyway, sorry for the rant! I just wanted to see who else out there was into this. I'm working on my organic baby blinkie (well, mine don't blink but that's ok) today!
November 8th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have always believed that the added hormones, also in chicken, play a part in the early development of our children today. It is so sad to me that children, especially girls, don't get to be children for very long. Our time to be children is short enough as it is . Good for you...I hope it works out.
November 8th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We do almost all organic or whole foods here. I hear from alot of people that they think they can't afford to go organic, but what I have found is if you give up all overly-processed foods from your diet and replace with only organic or whole foods (whole meaning 1 ingredient only(itself)~ or ~all ingredients listed are something natural that you can imagine growing from the earth) it is actually cheaper. If youre buying regular grocery items it is the processing and packaging you are paying for. And your health is paying for it too! (Organic milk however is expensive, but I have found milk that is not certified organic yet is antibiotic and hormone free for a decent price.) My suggestion for those who want to eat a whole, natural, or organic diet and don't want to spend a ton of money, when you go to the grocery store, only shop the perimeter of the store. You can get all the esentials from there- fruits, veggies,nuts, bread, meat if you eat it, dairy. Don't go down the aisles unless there is something specific you need to get, then just grab the item you want then get out of the aisle- do not browse. Just by following that rule, you will be eating way healthier and your bill will be less. Another good way to get organic or natural foods without paying a heavy price is to join a food co-op. We belong to one and I rarely need to go to the grocery store anymore and just about everything in the house is organic.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
November 8th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I respect you for following that rule because it just seems almost impossible to me to feed the five of us without it. I think of the days before big grocery stores when everyone grew and made everything. They worked very hard, but they were healthier, no doubt!
November 8th, 2006, 08:27 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
I think you were probably reading my post over on the AP Mommies board! I posted there because our neighbor had a friend whose daughter started her period at 7-YEARS-OLD!!!! That just blew my mind!
He and my hubby and I got started talking about the hormones in food, and I went to the AP board to see if someone could tell me what foods were the biggest offenders in that area. I'm definitely going to switch to hormone-free milk and beef, and possibly organic chicken when I can afford it. There's a company here that sells milk that's hormone free, and it's not any more expensive than the kind I buy at Wal Mart, so I'll be getting my milk there from now on. (Well, as soon as we complete the gallon we have!)

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

November 8th, 2006, 12:35 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A period at 7!!!! I would die!

Well, we eat as much as we can organic. We live in a small town and it is hard to find everything organic. Although I know that Amazon or yahoo opened a huge online health food store. I need to look. If you spend enough shipping is free.

November 8th, 2006, 12:47 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
we are slowly making the transition.. Jadziah is no longer allowed so many foods.. so we kinda HAD to switch..lol
November 8th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Kangaroo510
I do most of my shopping at our Super Target. They have a great organic/natural selection! I just went shopping today and everything I bought was organic or natural and somehow I stayed on budget and still ended up with the same amount of food as normal!

Walmart has really added a lot of organics too!

Yes, that was what I was reading. Seven years old. That is just so sad!

I even bought my husband organic oreos! I had to taste test a few and they are actually much like regular oreos!
November 8th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm pretty much addicted to Newman-O's.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
November 8th, 2006, 02:54 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How would you know what milk or beef had hormones? I wonder if ours is the same? Yikes.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
November 8th, 2006, 05:15 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Quote:
How would you know what milk or beef had hormones? I wonder if ours is the same? Yikes.[/b]
I'm not sure how it is there, but, from what I understand here, you can pretty much bet that if the meat or milk is not marketed as "organic" or "grain fed" or something like that, it comes from cows who have been given bovine growth hormone. So you have to go searching for it, I guess. I know that Braum's, the dairy company that I can get the hormone-free milk from, makes a point of advertising that their cows are "healthy".

Ug, the idea of Reilly starting her period in a year or two just makes me ill. I mean, I know that part of it is genetics on the part of the little girl who started so early, but I'm sure that hormones in food don't help.

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

November 9th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It's scary some of the things that's in regular milk. If we had more money we would go completely organic. There are some things we just won't buy normally anymore though. We are very strict about keeping organic milk, eggs, spinach, peanut butter, ketchup (not a neccessity but it tastes so much better). Those are just a few things. Like I said if we had more money... that's all we would buy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search