Interesting conversation I'm having with my mom

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 8th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Kangaroo510
dragonfly2_2005: The school system in Yorkville is so messed up.

Selah510: Why's that?

dragonfly2_2005: Heidi said she had to run a permission slip to school for Nic that he forgot to give her. You won't believe what it was for.

dragonfly2_2005: For permission to watch a PG rated movie.....Garfield! I said and what does watching that have to do with school!!!!

Selah510: Why are they watching a movie in school??

dragonfly2_2005: It's so rediculous. They complain about the kids not keeping up but yet have them watching sensless movies???

dragonfly2_2005: Not to mention that they get out early tomorrow and off Friday. So what a waste of a school week. This is where our tax dollars go.

dragonfly2_2005: There's something wrong with the whole thing.

dragonfly2_2005: Like the poor kids never get to watch movies at home.

dragonfly2_2005: I told her she should call the school and ask why they are wasting time with that.

Selah510: Right! That is just stupid! I'm sharing this with my homeschooling board!

dragonfly2_2005: Nic needs help with math (angles) but they can't take their books home. So how are the parents supposed to help.

Selah510: They can't take their books home?

dragonfly2_2005: I read in the paper that the new Grande Reserve school can't afford books for the 6th graders but.......they want to build like a zillion new schools.

dragonfly2_2005: She said they can't.

Selah510: WHAT?

dragonfly2_2005: It's really sickening.

I just wanted to share that. This is in Illinois where my mom lives. Isn't it sad that that is what is going on in our public schools?
November 8th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I sort of live near your Mom and I totally understand. When my kids were in P.S. I had many questions about why there was so much T.V. in school as well as other similar concerns which all led to us choosing the homeschooling road instead.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
November 8th, 2006, 02:16 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Totally sad..and people wonder why I pulled my kid out??
November 8th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know when I was in school we watched movies all the time. I also went to a Brewery in 8th grade.

November 9th, 2006, 07:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We watched movies too... but not things like Garfield... they were always those Educational ones. LOL Although in 6th grade we DID watch Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and then had to do a report on one of the historical figures they picked up.
November 9th, 2006, 07:16 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
I would be SO angry if they were watching a movie like Garfield (regardless of what they were trying to "get" out of it!)! I think I'd have to say, "Hey, send my son to the library with one of those math books that he can't bring home so he can work on his math!!"

PS is so messed up!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

November 9th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Veteran
A couple of weeks ago I enrolled my children in a small charter school (I won't go into all the reasons why).
Needless to say we lasted all of 8 days and now we're back to homeschooling. They would send home all the work I thought they should be doing during school hours and expect me to teach it to them at home 3-4 hours every evening during our family time. It's homeschool for us. I just wish I could find out how to figure out where my children stand in comparison to the ps children (like placement testing or something). But since none of that is required around here and I don't have a lot of money to spend on private type testing I guess I just have to pray they turn into educated adults.
November 9th, 2006, 10:30 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will not be telling my kiddos about this...they would want to go to PS!

November 11th, 2006, 06:52 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There is way too much TV in public school! And every parent has their own views on what is appropriate or inappropriate. Personally, I don't want the school deciding for my kids what they can watch. I think TV should be left out of public school unless it's an educational video to reinforce whatever topic is being studied at the time.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search