It's been a busy few days!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 12th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Kangaroo510
Hi!!!

I'm still here!!! It's been a little busy around here. My husbands little sisters are hanging around our place this weekend (they are also homeschooled) so I haven't had as much time to feed my JM addiction! Things have been going well though. Dahlia seems to be getting her sleep issues figured out. Two nights in a row she's slept for 6 hours straight. I hope I'm not speaking too soon on this one, I tend to do that!

I do have a random question...
When do you all start your schooling for the year? We never started until after Labor day because my mom and I always took a vacation at the end of August. Plus, I think it's silly that the public school kids start in the middle of August and then have a 4 day weekend. They ALWAYS have a "teacher workday" on the friday before so they can make it a long weekend. How convenient! I know Dahlia and I won't be starting until after Labor day!

Scary to think that by the time I'm starting school with her we will probably have another little critter hanging around!
November 12th, 2006, 01:44 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great to hear you got some sleep. How old is Dahlia again? Mine started 'sleeping through' at about 4-4 1/2 months. I put that in ' ' as we still get up most nights to our ds.

You can start school any time you want. We actualy go year round with breaks as we want.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
November 12th, 2006, 02:11 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
We school year round.. I have to have my paperwork in by August 15th with my Deputy Super so that is when we officially start our next year. but we school 7 days a week year round taking breaks as we need them.
November 12th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Kangaroo510
My little Dahlia will be 11 weeks tomorrow! She's gotten so big! It's kinda sad. Everybody tells you how it will go by so fast but you never understand until you are living it! Since she is breastfed, a 6 hour night is considered "through the night" so says my lactation consultant. I know some of them can go longer though. I'm happy with her only getting up once in the night.

I plan to do book type work during "normal" school months only but I think that it's important that learing/experimenting keeps on going all year round. Even over the summer I was encouraged to read and do fun stuff in the kitchen and I still got to help with the shopping! My bargin shopping skills are excellent!

Alison,
You have to turn work in? Is that on your own will or is that something the state makes you do?
Kitty,
How many kids to you have and what ages? I didn't see that on here anywhere.
November 12th, 2006, 08:08 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My daughter turns 5 in two days! See my siggy My ds is 2.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
November 13th, 2006, 04:58 AM
yup.. we have to turn in a Letter of Intent, a list whith picture or the actual stuff we plan to use and then either do standardized tests or turn in a portfolio of thie work so they can be "passed" on that grade level.Since this is our first year I'm a wee nervous about the portfolio. The approval was easy..I just photocopied the front covers and indexes of all the items I had,. not even using most of them at this point..rofl..
November 13th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Kangaroo510
Alison,

How do you feel about having to do that? I would hate that. I can understand why they want to know whats going on but that is exactly why I choose to homeschool, so it's under MY control what they are learning and nobody else has a say. Is that a state issued thing. You are in Mass. right?
I know when it came to Highschool I just had to make sure that I had the same credits I would have needed for the school district I was in. That was easy! I had most of them by 11th grade so all I had to do that year was 2 half credit electives and 1 full credit study. I graduated a year ahead.
Kitty,
I knew you had a daughter but wasn't sure about any others! Thanks!
November 13th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Yup//I'm in Mass.. doesn't bother me honestly..I think accountability is a good thing. They can not control what we teach or what materials we use..our Deputy Super just likes to know we are prepared. And I know of more than one HSing family that found their kids grade levels behind their peers whrn they made the choice to send them to PS's later, so I do think the accountability is a good thing.
November 13th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Kangaroo510
I think homeschoolers are often scoring higher than their peers. It's one on one vs. one to 30! Although I was never good at school.. I didn't have the best 'grades' but I am very street smart (not to pat myself on the back or anything) which I think can sometimes be more important. I might not be able to get a high score on a math paper but I can keep my checkbook balanced!

I do agree that accountability is important. I just don't care for it to be manditory. That's just me...
November 13th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I see the point of not manditory..and it would be nice if it wasn't/..but since it is here I deal. I think MOST HS'er are above..but just like with anything there are those that are not doing the best job they could.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search