Hello--question!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 13th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hey. I am from some of the other mommy boards. I seen this one and i am interested...
I am debating on homeschooling my kids. My daughter is 3 and i have one due in June. I have yet to put my daughter in preschool, trying to figure out if i want to...
Schools seem so scary now a days....and even though i hate to take her out of that "social" life of going to school, i will feel safer with her at home...i just dont know...
Just wondering- what are all your reasons for homeschooling? Do you think its better? And has it been hard to relearn things and teach them so far?

November 13th, 2006, 10:36 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Well we are only in our 1st year.. but I love it. My oldest is 12 and after the things he dealt with and we did no way my other 3 are stepping foot in a school. Teaching thus far has been easy..heck if I can teach them to eat, walk, talk and use the potty I can teach them anything.

As for the social end.. I prefer the wide range of kids and people they are exposed to verser the 20 something kids their own age they can't really interact with in a classroom.
November 13th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi my sons 4.5 and he's in preschool two days a week for friends because he doesn't have family or kids near by. Next year when we "officially" start homeschooling he'll be able to be in clubs/sports. We HS him before he was in Pre-School and do homeschooling on days he has off. Pre-schools kinda just play time.
Quote:
what are all your reasons for homeschooling?[/b]
1. I feel he doesn't have a strong Sence of self at 5 to stand up to all the outside stimuli 2. Learning is all the time and should be fun not in a desk for 6 hours a day 3. the ability to save for college because of cheaper costs. 4. the school not dealing with his asthma correctly 5.the amounts of Homework, tests and busy work.

Quote:
Do you think its better?[/b]
I've seen his effort and desire to do things steadily decline since starting pre-school. His writing is really bad now and he no longer even attempts to read thinking he can't read. He refuses to count any higher then his friends at school can and is excited that he's not going back in January. We are too.
Quote:
has it been hard to relearn things and teach them so far?[/b]
So far no the hardest thing is learning to trust him and myself. I'm currently in college (probably until he's at least 10) So I'm not expecting a lot of difficulties.

November 13th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Is there alot of out of pocket expenses? Do you have to pay out alot for all the material?

November 13th, 2006, 12:15 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
yes and no.. it can be done relatively inexpensively.. esp in the beginning. It's worth every penny though
November 13th, 2006, 01:53 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
and welcome to the board.

Quote:
what are all your reasons for homeschooling?[/b]
I have so many reasons. Heres a few of my top ones.
1. Freedom. We can go places, get up when we want, school when we want. We are not held to a schools schedule for the next 15 years. I don't have to get a Dr note when my kids are too sick to do school. I don't have to buy uniforms, my kids can wear play clothes.
2. Religious reasons. I want to be able to teach my child from a Christian perspective. I don't want to have to worry about someone trying to teach my kid evolution or sex ed or whatever else they have in mind.
3. Educational standards. I think homeschooling gives kids a better education. One that is tailored to there needs.
4. Family closeness. Schools foster peer dependence. Peer opinion becomes more important then family values. This develops the 'age gap'
5. being true to self. This is also to do with peer dependence and the fit in or be excluded mentality of school. I think it's an inherently bad idea to have large numbers of kids together without adequate supervision. It fosters bullying and gang behaviour. This happens in any large school setting.

Quote:
Do you think its better?[/b]
Oh yes. Every education method has it's own pros and cons. I'm not saying there aren't some cons to homeschooling. Such as having less time to myself during school hours. To me it's which list of pros and cons do you wont to live with.

Quote:
has it been hard to relearn things and teach them so far?[/b]
My kids are only little still. 5 tomorrow! and 2 so no so far it isn't hard. The great thing with homeschooling is you get to learn along with your kids. There are lots of curriculums you can buy and books and online resources. It's not all just coming from our own knowledge.

Quote:
Is there allot of out of pocket expenses? Do you have to pay out alot for all the material?[/b]
How much people spend on homeschooling is as greatly varied as how much people spend on there children's school. Some people spend very little using library and online recourses. Curriculum's vary a lot in price too.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
November 13th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks everyone. I think my hubby isnt too thrilled about the idea of it, but hopefully he will be supportive if that what i decide to do.

November 13th, 2006, 02:52 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Hi, Melissa, and to the board!!
I'm Lisa and I've got two kids - Reilly, our dd, is 6 and is in first grade. Declan, our ds, is 3, and we sometimes do preschool things with him when he's interested...which, at this point, is not often! So, we're in our second year of homeschooling.
As for our reasons for homeschooling, safety is up there as one of the top reasons. I always say that I decided that don't want to be the parent on the news after a school shooting or something like that, saying, "We never thought it would happen HERE!" (The Columbine shootings sort of helped to cement our decision, and that was before Reilly was even born!) In my home, my children will not be offered drugs, alcohol, or pressured to have sex...they are safer here.
Also, the quality of education that they will get will be better at home than in PS. I'm not a trained teacher, and I know that we will encounter things in upper grades that we will have to look into classes for, like algebra, geometry, chemistry, and things like that. Being able to teach one-on-one and tailor the "classroom" to their learning style are invaluable and, while things aren't always "sunshine and roses", I love it that I get to watch them learn and know that I have such a huge part in that. It's true that kids grow up so fast, and I love it that I'm not missing it.

ETA: We also have a concern about teaching our kids from a Christian perspective. I'm not going to keep them ignorant about people believing in the theory of evolution (meaning that they will know that that idea exists) but they won't be taught that it is a fact.

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search