I give up

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 14th, 2006, 11:33 AM
ilovemy3wikids
My dd wants friends so bad. The kids in my neighborhood are all in school and are not allowed to play with my dd cause we are homeschooling. I have looked in the larger cities around me and can't find any groups and tried starting one and no one is joining. My dd tells me I am a terrible mom cause I can't find her friends. I am 24 and homeschooling so no one wants there kids to play with mine. I don't know if I should give up on the dream of homeschooling or what
November 14th, 2006, 12:45 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
NO! You will find friends!

How have you tried to start up groups?

What city and state do you live in...you can PM me. I am a pretty good search person on the net.

November 14th, 2006, 12:49 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
That's insane.. people SUCK... You WILL find friends.. believe me.. you just have to find different avenues..
November 14th, 2006, 01:36 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry people have such bad attitudes. There not allowed to play because she's homeschooled!

Have you tried going down to the park, maybe a park a little further away if needed. DH quite often takes dd on a Sataday afternoon to the large park and she finds kids to play with. These of course arn't 'friends' but it is interaction.

Tell us were you live, I'm pretty good at finding things on the net too. You can pm too if you want.

I can't remeber if you were church going or secular people? Unless your oposed to her going to a church programme there definatly worth a look. Churches often have childrens programes which usualy offer better socializing opertunities then say dance class. I know dd dosn't have time at dance to really socialize and I guess your classes are the same way. Even if you are secular most churches would welcome your daughter.

Is she old enough for Daisy scouts or something like that?

I would also look on the yahoo groups, and see if there is one nearish to you. You might find some like minded people on one of those.

Please don't give up yet. You might find other kids club type things open up once she is 6 or 7.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
November 14th, 2006, 02:56 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
DO NOT GIVE UP! *wags finger* If the people in your neighborhood are unwilling to let their kids play with your daughter because she's homeschooled, then who needs them anyway? Honestly, it doesn't sound like they'd be the greatest influence anyway, especially considering the problems that you had with them being so rude a few months ago.
I think that girls can start Daisy Scouts or Brownies in kindergarten, so you could look into that avenue. Or different classes at the parks department - maybe something like an art class or something where she can do more socializing. I'm so sorry that you're going through this, but try not to let it get you down. (And don't let her guilt trip you!)

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

November 14th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi friend!
I agree with the others in that a church setting is the most wonderful place for your daughter to find friends. We are in a wonderful homeschool association, but it is the church setting that we are in that my children are finding friends and fitting in. If you are willing to become part of the church setting, this is my advice to you. Find a church that is big enough to offer enough for your children, but not so big that they will get lost in it. Also, see if you can find one where there are other homeschooling families. The church has been great for us because we are there 3 times a week. The programs that my children are in provide a lot of social time as well as organized time together.
With that being said.....please don't let your daughter's remarks affect you in front of her. My Patrick used to do me that way and the more I let it get to me and the more I fell into what he was saying, the more he used it. He finally said something one day and I went to my room and cried. He heard me and has never done it again. It is like he realized that I was a person with feelings and that I was only trying to do what was best for him. He still remembers that. He is a very sweet child, as I'm sure your daughter is, but he was playing around with the power he had. She feels angry, but let her know that just because she says that the situation is your fault, that doesn't make it so. You are an awsome mom...always trying to do what is best for your children. I have always been impressed with how sweet your heart is towards your children. Please don't play into the guilt.....not you who try so hard! "hugs"
I hope that you find a solution that works for all of you. I really hope that you don't have to send her to school just for socialization. You would be very disappointed....take it from someone who has had their children there. Kids are cruel in any situation.
We are here if you need us...always.
November 14th, 2006, 03:55 PM
ilovemy3wikids
First I want to say I love all of you, I love how supportive you all are. I cried today big time after many hours of her telling me I am a horrible mom and ruined her life I know she is using it against me but I feel so bad I love my daughter with all my heart and want what is best for her. Since I started her with homeschooling she has learned so much and is so bright! She has a passion for learning that I know would get lost if she were in school. I know she would want to be like "all the other kids" and I would lose that part of her that makes her so special !!

We are secular people which also makes it hard. There is one group around here but because even though we are Christian but don't base our whole curriculum around religion they refuse to let us in. It's not that I don't think religion is important we just don't attend church and don't teach nothing but ( not that I am against anyone who does of course!)

It's so hard cause it is winter here and only in the 20's-30's most days and my dd gets so sick in the cold, not to mention I don't want my baby boy in it either! I just feel so trapped. She hates playing in her room alone, but if she brought her toys down her here bro would put them in his mouth and choke She loves doing school work but I can't do that 24/7 with her lol!

I feel like a failure. It seems so hard to find any friends for her. All the art classes around here are at least $60 which we really don't have at the time. Girl Scouts is ran by the day of the little girl who lives next door and has no rules I'm just at a loss right now

I'm live right around green bay and appleton WI either area works
November 14th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Ugh hun.. I am sorry.. it is so hard to get out and meet people. I am just now really getting social. Are there any storytimes at libraries? We go to at least one a week.. this week alone there was myself and my 4 kids and 3 other HSing friends and their 10 kids (total)..
November 14th, 2006, 05:00 PM
heres one page I found- http://homeschool.meetup.com/cities/us/wi/marinette/ I hope that helps.

November 14th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, those are some great links!
November 14th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Yes you can even look the world over for homeschool contacts. preety cool. there are even some on there from our state.

November 15th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry to hear that you and your daughter are so sad. But she is only blaming you because you're the one that's there. It's easier and safer to blame you than to be upset with the neighbor girls. I doubt that signing her up for public school will suddenly mean the neighbor girls can play with her, espcecially since there have been problems in the past with them. Also, I agree that you would be disappointed with the type of socialization public schooled chilren recieve. I also know what you mean about homeschooling groups. It is so sad that our children are often excluded from support groups based on religious differences. I wish there were more groups open to all homeschooled children, but sadly the majority around here are religion-based and have big keep out signs for children of other faiths. I encourage you to keep looking however. Maybe you can check your area for a 4-H group, which I believe is free to join. Also look at all your local libraries for free programs. Most offer interesting classes for children of all ages.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
November 15th, 2006, 11:11 AM
I must be naive..or too new to this.. are their reallu HSing groups that are totally faith based? I think that sucks.. I started a group that has since merged with an established group ( that never did anything though) and we are of all different faiths.. the "worst" thing is that some of the ladies can't come to evening things because of church or bible study groups. Doesn't seem to be anything else that is an issue.
November 28th, 2006, 10:47 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How are you guys doing now?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search