Total vent @@

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 15th, 2006, 06:03 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Ok I had Youth Group with Noah tonight.. And I wasn't going to go but I am Kinda glad I did.. Because this is what I come home to and it wouldn't have happened if I had been home..

Eric tells me his mother came over ( as always while I am gone@@).. Eric said she asked him if we'd ever put the 3 youngest in public school... He says with out hesitating..NO no way it's not an option. HE tells her "look at Declan, reading , doing math , ding so well period".. THEN she must not have been happy with that so her hidden agenda came out.. She does not want HER grandkids Homeschooled.. So she offers to pay for the 3 littles ones to go to St Marks ... Full ride.. We'd pay nothing.. Eric tells her ... NO .. She then goes on and on about Declan and socialization etc ( anyone here think my kids have socialization issue's?? Seriously.. If you do tell me..cus I think we're fine..rofl).. Of course Declan is the main issue.. It's not the kids being HS'd..it's her precious Declan @@..whatever..

I know she thinks this homeschooling decision was all me..but it wasn't..not even close. The decision with Noah was all me, but the plan was to send the other kids to school.. Then as the summer progressed and we talked more and more and read more and more Eric totally said one night "please don't put my kids in the schools".. And yes Private school isn't public..BUT I went thru our towns private schools.. They are not the solution.. And it's just not what we want for our kids.

I am very proud of Eric if the whole thing went down the way Eric said it did.. He stood his ground and made it known it was his decision too.I am NOT looking forward to Thanksgiving at her house at all , even more now.. agh..I don't need to defend our choices to her!

So anyone have any good socialization links I can print stuff out from and get some good come backs from? I need to go into this whole holiday season well armed!
November 15th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Kangaroo510
Forget being well armed.. it's none of her business what you and your husband chose to do with your children and she has no say! Sorry, but that's just my opinion! I would love for somebody to tell me what I should and should not do as far as my childs schooling. Family is great but they need to stay out of certain areas of their childrens and grandchildrens lives!

It's great that your Husband (atleast I'm assuming he's your husband.. I apologize if I'm wrong) stood up for the decision your family has made! I'm sure you are doing just fine with your kids.

Tell her to butt out!!!

I'm fiesty tonight!
November 15th, 2006, 08:13 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
To some people offering information is like saying "you want a debate?" Those people are best served by a quick "We have reserched and made our desition, and we will not discuss this any more" If you think she can be educated, here are some links-
http://www.athomeinamerica.com/Article_4YearStudy.mv
http://www.naturalchild.com/common_o...ons/index.html
http://www.geocities.com/unschoolgra...alization.html
http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/zysk1.html
http://www.ericdigests.org/1995-1/home.htm

You will find a few gems to keep for future refrence in there.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
November 16th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How frustrating. It is hard enough to homeschool and continue to assure yourself that you are doing the right thing without family working against you! I really hate it that you are having to deal with that.
I will try to find some good things for you...there have been some good things posted here! I wish people would understand that so much of the school socialization is negative anyway...at least for 75% of the school population. Yes, there are the few percent who are very well liked by everyone and favored by the teachers who come out of it feeling great about themselves, but there are also those who struggle. Even for the child who doesn't fit into either extreme, there are circumstances that mold them...some good and some bad, but who is to know which way it will go. How much better to teach them the way that they benefit from the best and let the socialization come from more positive avenues. I was sitting here this morning thinking about how different things were for my kids...as far as socialization...since we started homeschooling. When they were in school, their school peers and teachers were all they ever interacted with because we didn't have time for anything else. Now, we are involved in so much that we could not have had time for before. The kids have made some great friends and are enjoying themselves...enjoying life.
Just don't worry about her....she is only seeing a small, distorted part of the whole.
Just put a smile on your face and show confidence....that is the best thing that you can do. However, it won't hurt to have a few reading materials in your purse on the subject either .
November 16th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Thanks Shery..this was NOT the week to hear this..rofl. I just called my mom and she told me that my MIL made a comment at Jae's party too.. SOmeone said something about them doing good and learning etc and she said "yeah when SHE's home"..so apparently I need to stay couped up in the house 8 hours a day to teach them..WHATEVER!
November 19th, 2006, 02:12 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Oooo, I think you should poke her in the eye!! Just kidding, obviously, but that would make me SO MAD!!!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

November 19th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Can I?? I'd love to poke her in the eye..rofl
November 19th, 2006, 06:58 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There ya go, well as close as I could find lol

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
November 19th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Ugh, how incredibly frustrating. I really hate it when family members (and friends) feel that they can impose their beliefs (whatever they may be about whatever issue) of my husband and I. I give them a strong "It's OUR child (or life, depending on what the issue is), not your's, so frankly I dont really care what you think is "best" or not." Which usually shuts them up.

Ugh at the "I dont want MY grandchildren to be homeschooled" comment. I would have said "Well guess what? I really dont care. I'm the parent, NOT YOU." But I can be mean like that... lol.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search