Do public schools just NOT teach Geography??

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 18th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
People often ask me: "Why do you choose to homeschool?"

And then the same people (who are at the very least 13-18, some older) ask me "So do you think you'll ever move to the USA?"

I live in Hawaii.

I think they answered their own question on why I choose to homeschool...
November 18th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hahahahaha!!!!!!
I can tell you that Geography is one area that I KNOW my children are stronger in than public school kids. I know that they know more than I did at their age. I actually teach Geography as part of our History lessons and Social Studies lessons. Any chance or excuse that I have to pull out our world map, United States map, and globe I do. I so agree with you that the kids don't learn it in school llike they can at home. It's just something that is hard to teach in that setting, I think. There is nothing like getting down on the floor with the map and letting the kids touch the places you are talking about. Also, being able to take the extra time to study different places and making sure that they know WHERE you are talking about is priceless.
I love it!!!
November 18th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
What I find amazing is that this hasnt happened like once or twice... this has happened SEVERAL times... at least 5 or 6! Just because Hawaii is a group of islands and just because its a little further away, doesnt mean its not in the USA! LOL. *smacks head* Silly silly people...

I believe you when you say that geography is easier at home to teach than at school. I was horrible at geography in school... heck I'm still horrible at it. (But hey, at least I knew that Hawaii was one of the 50 states, LOL)
November 18th, 2006, 09:54 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Even I know that Hawaii is part of the U.S.A!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
November 18th, 2006, 10:53 PM
JuneBug2006's Avatar Forever missing Gracie
Im in Canada and even I know that Hawaii is part of the U.S.......

Although I do recall geog being a part of my studies!
November 19th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Yeah, I had geography in school too... and I've always known that Hawaii is in the US, but I guess they dont teach it as well anymore or something... because I've had at least 5 or 6 people ask me when I'm moving to the USA, lol.
November 19th, 2006, 01:20 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Even if Hawaii wasn't part of the USA, who would want to move from there anyway!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
November 19th, 2006, 02:08 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
OK, wait a minute, wait a minute...are these people who LIVE in Hawaii who are asking this?!? Meaning, are there people over there, LIVING IN HAWAII, who don't know that you're part of the United States?!? I'm flabbergasted!

Plus, I agree with Jo, who would want to move from there? It's bee-yoo-ti-ful!
PARTY AT NIAMH'S HOUSE!!!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

November 19th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Even if Hawaii wasn't part of the USA, who would want to move from there anyway![/b]
Well they usually ask that after I complain about living here. I hate living in Hawaii. It's hot and humid all the time... and there are no seasons here so its the same weather year-round. I hate it, lol.

Quote:
OK, wait a minute, wait a minute...are these people who LIVE in Hawaii who are asking this?!? Meaning, are there people over there, LIVING IN HAWAII, who don't know that you're part of the United States?!? I'm flabbergasted!

Plus, I agree with Jo, who would want to move from there? It's bee-yoo-ti-ful!
PARTY AT NIAMH'S HOUSE!!! [/b]
No no no... its people on the internet who dont live in Hawaii (but still live in a US state).

Hawaii may be beautiful, sure, but I miss having seasons. I'm originally from the Mojave Desert in California and while we didnt have snow or anything there, there were still seasons and it wasnt the same temperature all year. There are no seasons here in Hawaii and its always hot and humid. Hawaii is a nice place to visit... but not to live.
November 20th, 2006, 12:19 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
You know, after I wrote that I thought, "Hmmmm, I loved visiting Hawaii, but I also like cold weather!" so I know it would bother me for it to be hot and humid all the time! Heck, I hate the summers here in OK so much that I'm always wanting to move farther north...but my family's here, so that won't happen!
How long is you DH stationed there?
And I can't believe that there are people here that don't know Hawaii is a state...that's pathetic. (I feel better, though, knowing that it wasn't Hawaiians who were saying that! )
Also, I LOVE your photobucket pics! You're such a cute preggo girl!!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

November 20th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Thanks! (about the photobucket)

Gwyddion (DH) is stationed here for three years... and since we just got here in July, there's only about 2 1/2 years left, lol. But he is thinking of becoming an officer (instead of being enlisted), which means they will send him to a college/university of his choice (but it has to be on their list of pre-approved colleges/unis). If he goes that route, then we are picking a university in Maine, which I was REALLY glad to hear. At the beginning of this year, we visited his family in New Hampshire, and we took a day-trip with them to Maine... and I LOVED it. Even in freezing January, I loved LOVED Maine. It was sooo beautiful and the houses were gorgeous (I always like to look at house-styles for some reason, lol).

Plus, if he goes the officer route, we will make WAY more money than we do now (I say "we", but he's the only one that works, lol). So I'm all for him becoming an officer.... but it is a big change to go from enlisted to officer. We shall see...

And yeah, I'm glad it wasnt Hawaiians saying that to me also! LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search