Thanksgiving!!!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 20th, 2006, 06:59 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
So, is everybody ready for Thanksgiving? (Well, everybody in the U.S., anyway!) What are your plans? Are you off school for the week or just on Thanksgiving?

We're taking Thursday and Friday off. I'd probably have taken Wednesday off as well, but decided not to since we were off all last week. My mom and our family are going to our friend Jan's house for lunch on Thursday and The Kids are SO excited. They LOVE their Aunt Jan! Then we have corn soup in the evening and go to a local outdoor shopping center for their "lights on" event - where they turn on all the Christmas lights and Santa "officially" comes into his little house. It's a 7-year tradition for us now!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

November 21st, 2006, 06:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We're taking the whole week off! Well except for today because we're going back for our second visit to the hs co-op. I'd almost rather not go, but my son made some friends there last week and really wants to see them again so I guess we're going. I have lots to do when we get home and tomorrow too since I am hosting Thanksgiving for the family this year. Somebody please tell me why I volunteered for this? I've never even cooked a turkey before!

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
November 21st, 2006, 07:12 AM
Oh, goodness, cooking a turkey is really very easy! Do you want my Fool-Proof Plan for a Fantastic Turkey?

November 21st, 2006, 07:19 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That sounds like a fun Thanksgiving Day, Lisa.
We have taken this entire week off, and it has been wonderful. The kids played with friends all day yesterday while I did as little as possible. Today, I am taking Patrick to a friend's house and picking up another little boy to bring home for Carter to play with.
Tomorrow, Madison and I will go buy things for Thanksgiving, Carter's birthday, and the boys' birthday campout, which is on Friday.
On Thanksgiving Day, we are going to my sister's to spend the day with my family. My dad and stepmom will be there as well as both of my sisters and their family, my brother and his girlfriend, and my sister's inlaws. I'm looking forward to it.
It is a busy week with the party and all, but I am trying hard not to stress about it. I should spend today cleaning my house, but by Friday, it won't look like I did. I will wait until closer to the day.
I hope you have a great day and a great Thanksgiving Day!
November 21st, 2006, 12:16 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
We're off all week..although I have been preparing lapbooks for the kids and other things for Noah. Eric is on vacation so most of what we've been doing is spending extra time with Daddy. Taejan has a cold..again..so he's been clingy as heck.. Thanksgiving is gonna be boring this year.. I hate when holidays don't feel special..
November 21st, 2006, 01:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lisa, yes I definitely want your fool-proof plan!

My Homeschooling Blog:
November 21st, 2006, 02:20 PM
OK, this is Turkey - Roasted Over-Night - from Virginia Reilly (my grandma):

~ Wash and dry bird with paper towels
~ Salt and pepper bird, inside and out
~ Stuff (if desired)
~ Melt 1 T. of butter per each pound of bird and rub all over it (I actually salt and pepper AFTER I butter the bird)
~ Line roasting pan with heavy foil, leaving enough to fully wrap bird. (She did 1-3 sheets of foil lengthwise and 3 sheets width-wise. You just want to have enough hanging over the edges to wrap over the eop of the turkey and seal it up!)
~ Place in 200 degree oven and cook overnight. Check in the morning - when the leg begins to loosen, the bird is ready.
~ Fold back foil and brown in 300 degree oven for 15-30 minutes - this gets the skin nice and crispy.

My mom says she'd put it in at about 10:00pm and it was usually ready to begin the browning at 10:30am or so. (we always have Thanksgiving lunch at about 12:00!) I know that's not very specific, but the idea is that you cook it on a low temp for a long time, which really makes it stay moist. I'd say plan to cook for 10-11 hours. That sounds like a huge, long time, but I've done it at least 5 times in my married life (10 years) and it turns out perfect! Also, you can cook the bird breast side down which lets the juices run into the breasts and makes them moist. You just have to turn it over to brown the skin.

I hope this helps!! I have such great memories of waking up on Thanksgiving morning and the house already smelling like turkey!

November 21st, 2006, 02:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That does sound nice and easy! We are not planning to eat until about 4 pm though so I may have to adjust the times. Thanks Lisa!

My Homeschooling Blog:
November 21st, 2006, 04:56 PM
Ewww, nothing like getting up at 3 a.m. to put in the turkey!! Hmmmm, there are also directions on the package for cooking them in, like, 3 hours...maybe that's the way to go!! Good luck!

November 21st, 2006, 07:10 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
We're going to a friends house to eat and watch football But I made this (for my siggy on another forum site) today... Since this thread is about Thanksgiving, I guess its fitting to share it hehe (even though its not Thanksgiving yet):

November 21st, 2006, 08:48 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like that Turkey recipie of your's Lisa! Does that cooking time depend on the size of the turkey? Also is it coverd in foil? We don't have thanksgiving but we do like turkey for Christmas and with my cooking I sure need a sure fire way of getting at least something right!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
November 22nd, 2006, 12:13 PM
Yes, the whole thing is basically loosely wrapped in foil. I usually lay two sheets lengthwise in my roasting pan, with enough to hang about 6 inches over each end, and three sheets widthwise with the same amount hanging over. As for the cooking time, we usually have a 15 pound turkey (that's an estimate!) and it cooks for 10-11 hours. If your turkey is smaller, don't cook it that long (obviously!). I usually put my meat thermometer in there as well, and look for the little button to pop up on the turkey as well.
Hope that helps!

User of Fool Proof Turkey Recipe (hitherto referred to as FPTR) accept and and all responsibility for the doneness of their turkey. Lisa accepts no responsibility for turkeys that end up either too dry or too underdone by persons using her FPTR. So nanny nanny boo boo!

November 24th, 2006, 08:10 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My Ninny Jack does it that way but in a HUGE roasting bag.

So....our week was crazy with family in and out. And then a quiet T day with just us and our kids. I made a YUMMY meal and we just enjoyed our time. Now...if I can get away with not having the family in and out tomorrow. I am feeling a little overwhelmed and hermitish.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search