Homeshoolers out there

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 27th, 2004, 07:27 AM
zonapellucida
Who are you?
Where are you from?
What are your child's ages and names?
What programs have you found to work best?
When did you decide to homeshcool? was it before baby or after the child had been in the system?
What do you do to take time for yourself?
June 15th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Who are you? Tami
Where are you from? Kentucky
What are your child's ages and names? Shanna (13) and Tamaira (5)
What programs have you found to work best? We use ABeka
When did you decide to homeshcool? was it before baby or after the child had been in the system? The year before Shanna was to start kindergarten.
What do you do to take time for yourself? Read or surf the net.
July 23rd, 2004, 09:18 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to chatterbox_n_floss Send a message via MSN to chatterbox_n_floss Send a message via Yahoo to chatterbox_n_floss
Who are you?Heather
Where are you from?NE ohio
What are your child's ages and names?Alexis 9.5 and Ariel 6.5
What programs have you found to work best? We used Five in a Row when older dd was in Hs kindergarten, but we haven't hs'ed in 3 yrs
When did you decide to homeshcool? was it before baby or after the child had been in the system? I decided to hs when my older dd was 4, but then after kindergarten and moving to Ohio who is much more strict than the previous our previous state, and dd wanting to try ps we decided to give it a try. But dd asked to be hs'ed again and we decided to go for it again this year for the long haul
What do you do to take time for yourself? I have a stitch group I belong to that meets twice a month. Dh is pretty good about giving me time for myself when he gets home. Plus during the day we have quiet time where we each do things for ourselves for an hour. I think this will keep on during our schoolyear
October 8th, 2004, 11:59 AM
mineforever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Who are you? I'm Charity and I'm 28

Where are you from? Alberta, Canada

What are your child's ages and names? Jacob(8) Kyler(4) April(2) Tyaett(1)

What programs have you found to work best? uhm.. I like the horizons math and plaid phonics for LA.

When did you decide to homeshcool? was it before baby or after the child had been in the system? Jacob was in grade1 and his teacher wsa retiring and just didn't care about teaching it seemed.. she called me a week before the end of the school year and told me that Jacob was very far behind in math (K level 0 not even knowing simple math like 2+3) and that his reading was terrible infact she told me she didn't even know what his reading level was.. I had had multiple run ins with her.. not sending homework home or telling me where they were at. she'd call me for meetings then forget why she called them.. I had had it and knew I could do a better job at home.

What do you do to take time for yourself? I come on here.. lol..or I go out with a group of ladies once a month to chit chat.. and I also go play volley ball every thursday night after the kids are in bed.
~Charity - SAHM to 6 Monkeys and expecting #7!!

October 8th, 2004, 01:08 PM
zonapellucida
I suppose I should answer too!

Heidi HS mom to Gwen 7, Isadora 6 and Amelia almost 4.

Mcgraw hill curriculum along wiht computer games and lots of net stuff. I actually use all the links I have posted!

I decided to HS after my kids had been in the system because the schools are so horrible in FL.
October 12th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Julie's Avatar Veteran
Who are you? Julie
Where are you from? Florida

What are your child's ages and names? Hannah 7 & Riley 5

What programs have you found to work best? We make up our own program from worksheets on different internet sites, with lots of general book reading in between. We don't stress too much (more along the unschooling method) and the kids seem to be flourishing and LOVE to learn.

When did you decide to homeshcool? Basically the same deal as zonapellucida. Hannah went thru about half of kindergarten and we decided to take her out.

What do you do to take time for yourself? I don't really do anything by myself anymore. As a family, to relax and have fun, we love going to thrift stores and yard sales. We also like hanging out at the park.

October 31st, 2004, 02:37 PM
NCSarah's Avatar Regular
Send a message via AIM to NCSarah
Hi everyone. I am new..my name is Sarah. I am homeschooling my four year old daughter. These boards are great..thanks for all the links..I will need them..and the help too!!

Who are you? Sarah

Where are you from? North Carolina

What are your child's ages and names? LeighAnna and she is 4

What programs have you found to work best? I've just been using some workbooks that I've picked up at a teachers store close to where my Mom lives and also at Target..they had some for only a dollar a piece.

When did you decide to homeshcool? was it before baby or after the child had been in the system? I once wanted to homeschool my other daughter who had a really hard time in K..but then once she was in the first grade..she blossomed and we moved into a different school district, thinking it was better than the one I left..well I found out it wasn't..anyhow..I tried putting LeighAnna into a preschool but, that didnt work too good..she was hesterical and I just have had so much to deal with the public schools..that I just don't want to go through it again..therefore..I am gonna really try to homeschool her. (Sorry this was so long)

What do you do to take time for yourself? Oh gosh..I forgot..lol. Umm..I guess my time is when I am working on my biz..I really never have anytime alone or just for myself with three girls..lol.

I really do look forward to getting to know you all and any suggestions, please I could use all the support and encourgement I can get!! Honestly, its a scary decision.

Thanks for listening to me ramble..
Sarah
January 13th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to mommy5 Send a message via MSN to mommy5 Send a message via Yahoo to mommy5
Quote:
Originally posted by zonapellucida@May 27 2004, 08:27 AM
Who are you?* Tina
Where are you from?* Ohio
What are your child's ages and names?* Stephen 14, Samuel 8, Joseph 5, John 3, Isaac 2
What programs have you found to work best?* We have used BJU for the schoolagers for three years and for the preschooler and toddlers I use lots of manipulatives and some worksheets from the web and Jumpstart workbooks.
When did you decide to homeshcool?* was it before baby or after the child had been in the system?* My eldest son went to ps through fifth grade but my other sons have never attended ps.
What do you do to take time for yourself?* I love to read late at night or surf the web after the kids are in bed or just sit in the dark and enjoy a cup of tea and the silence! LOL
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search