When should you start????

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 4th, 2004, 05:59 AM
tig2ger4lifemommy
I read many books as a teen being homeschooled from my mom's homeschooling books! LOL

When do you recommend you start your kids???

AND I'm looking for books to find to read to prepare....my mom got rid of hers! AGH!!! She had a ton!!!!

TIA!!!!!
November 5th, 2004, 05:48 AM
Julie's Avatar Veteran
I think you technically start "homeschooling" when they're still babies, unable to speak.
Singing the ABC song to them, pointing and saying "that's a bird".

Just keep advancing your "teaching" along with their age and you're doing what's called "Unschooling"

November 5th, 2004, 09:30 AM
tig2ger4lifemommy
Quote:
Originally posted by Julie@Nov 5 2004, 07:48 AM
I think you technically start "homeschooling" when they're still babies, unable to speak.
Singing the ABC song to them, pointing and saying "that's a bird".

Just keep advancing your "teaching" along with their age and you're doing what's called "Unschooling"
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

I remember reading on this a little just before my mom stopped buying books on homeschooling.

It is just making everyday activities learning, right? Like we do Patty Cake and she is learning to clap and now we are going to Heads, Knees, & Toes.

She is just about 20 mths, so I know I'm early. But we do the birds, cats, etc with her. She is very smart and really wants to learn. She doesn't verbalize everything we teach her but you can see her soaking it in. She right now, just became fascinated with books, so I've put her board books down for her. If she opens one to say a picture that has a cow, we point out the cow and she will mimic the word.

Am I on track??? I know she is smart and just want to do the best for her!
November 5th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Julie's Avatar Veteran
I tell ya, you're probably on a very good track doing just what you're doing....and just upgrading as you realize that she's got a grasp on what you've done so far.

That's exactly how I did things with my oldest daughter and she picks things up like nobody's business now ...she's seven and can read and write like a champ (any word, she can sound out with no help) . Excellent at math and LOVES to learn about anything science. She really almost teaches herself and has from the beginning.
With my youngest daughter, I went back to work when she was only about 6 months, so I didn't take nearly the amount of time with her day to day (plus I had a 2 year old at that point) so she kinda got the raw end of the deal...but the difference in the 2 is SO noticable.
Hannah (oldest) picked up reading like it was nothing. Riley (youngest) we're really struggling with the very basics of reading and we can't seem to get anywhere really.

I think that early learning "play" made all the difference. Just singing and pointing and acknowledging. I REALLY wish I could go back and do the same thing with my youngest as I did my oldest.

November 5th, 2004, 01:23 PM
tig2ger4lifemommy
Quote:
Originally posted by Julie@Nov 5 2004, 01:41 PM
I tell ya, you're probably on a very good track doing just what you're doing....and just upgrading as you realize that she's got a grasp on what you've done so far.

That's exactly how I did things with my oldest daughter and she picks things up like nobody's business now ...she's seven and can read and write like a champ (any word, she can sound out with no help) . Excellent at math and LOVES to learn about anything science. She really almost teaches herself and has from the beginning.
With my youngest daughter, I went back to work when she was only about 6 months, so I didn't take nearly the amount of time with her day to day (plus I had a 2 year old at that point) so she kinda got the raw end of the deal...but the difference in the 2 is SO noticable.
Hannah (oldest) picked up reading like it was nothing. Riley (youngest) we're really struggling with the very basics of reading and we can't seem to get anywhere really.

I think that early learning "play" made all the difference. Just singing and pointing and acknowledging. I REALLY wish I could go back and do the same thing with my youngest as I did my oldest.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

Sounds like you've really done this before! Would you give me any recommendations???

I have a almost 4 mth old son, too. I already see him watching and he already mimics things. He likes to sit and fiddle with his fingers. Well, DH played with DD Patty Cake and they moved to working on clapping. I saw DS actually working to try and mimic!! I couldn't believe it!!!
November 9th, 2004, 07:41 AM
Julie's Avatar Veteran
Hey Becky, sorry I didn't respond sooner

The only books we've read on the subject are The Unschooling Handbook by Mary Griffith (you can findit really cheap on ebay ) and we also bought one other book that I can't remember the name of right now but it was something like Homeschooling 101 or basic Homeschooling.

We did A LOT of research online. There's SO much info online about it as well as state by state guidelines that you'd need to get to know.

There's lots of websites where you can print out worksheets that are age appropriate. One we use a lot is at www.learningpage.com. We signed up for the paid membership on that one and then you get even more worksheets you can access...but they also have lots that are available even if you don't buy a membership. Especially in the very beginning, the free stuff was plenty for very young kids. But now, especially with Hannah doing so well, we find ourselves running thru the freebies too quickly so we've had to upgrade.

There's lots of links in this forum that you can find free, printable worksheets that should really do you pretty well for at least pre-school, kindergarten and first grade stuff. Then just add your day to day activities to that...like anytime they ask what something means, don't just tell them real quick what it is...take them to the computer or to an encyclopedia or dictionary and walk them thru the steps of finding the answers themselves....even if they can't read the answer yet...you'll be showing them HOW to find it for themselves later...they'll remember that

We also do things like help them write a birthday poem to their granny. They just think it's a fun, nice thing to do...but it's obviously teaching them at the same time. Go out and collect bugs and "inspect" them and have them tell you what makes one bug different from another. They reallyjust view it as fun time spent with the parents...but it's teaching them something they don't even realize.

Hope this helps just a little. It really sounds like you're starting out just like I did with Hannah...and that was a GREAT start

January 3rd, 2005, 04:00 PM
Regular
We are trying to decide about homeschool now. I've always taught, and done projects, field trips with the kids, though.

I know people that started in preschool, and others around k-2nd grade. I guess it depends on why and how long you want to do it.

Good luck!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search