Homework Myth quote...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 14th, 2007, 08:51 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
A high or rising average test score may actually be a reason to worry. Every hour that teachers spend preparing kids to succeed on standardized tests, even if that investment pays off, is an hour not spent helping kids to become critical, curious, creative thinkers.[/b]

May 14th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
AMEN AND AMEN! WAHOO!!

May 15th, 2007, 05:18 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I LOVED that statement and so totally agree! I live in a VERY highly rated school system. It's considered one of the best in the country. On paper. It's all about the test scores and to be so highly rated based on test scores is frightening if you ask me.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 15th, 2007, 05:48 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sooooo true!

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

May 15th, 2007, 07:06 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Yes, yes, yes! Where did you find it?

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 15th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ok...I'm going to try and not get too fired up. This is EXACTLY the reason DH insists on HS. Here in FL they have the FCAT and these teachers now specifically train these children to pass this test and that's all that they have time for. This school system is so messed up by this test! The schools are rated by their test scores, they are wanting to give teachers bonuses based on how the children do on the FCAT and a student can not pass third grade until they pass it. They also can not graduate without passing it. This has resulted in my cousin who is 12 and in the FOURTH grade! I guess it's better to have a 12 year old in class with 9 year olds!! It is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!! How they think they can measure a child's learning by ONE test is beyond me and now they are being taught NOTHING else other than to prepare for this test!

May 15th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Ok...I'm going to try and not get too fired up. This is EXACTLY the reason DH insists on HS. Here in FL they have the FCAT and these teachers now specifically train these children to pass this test and that's all that they have time for. This school system is so messed up by this test! The schools are rated by their test scores, they are wanting to give teachers bonuses based on how the children do on the FCAT and a student can not pass third grade until they pass it. They also can not graduate without passing it. This has resulted in my cousin who is 12 and in the FOURTH grade! I guess it's better to have a 12 year old in class with 9 year olds!! It is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!! How they think they can measure a child's learning by ONE test is beyond me and now they are being taught NOTHING else other than to prepare for this test![/b]
That's how it is here in Texas, too. Only here it's the TAKS test. If they don't pass the TAKS, they don't pass the grade. It's insane! I don't think one test score should dictate wheter they should pass or fail (or graduate or not). As has been said before, testing isn't a true reflection of the child's ability/intelligence. The schools here also teach to the test. They teach the kids to take & pass the TAKS actually beginning in 1st grade!
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

May 15th, 2007, 07:33 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Same here in Mass..it's the MCAS tests..Noah literally spent 4 days a week after school last year learning the test.. he has always gotten perfect or near perfect scores on them yet he almost failed 6th grade..WTH??
May 15th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
The schools here also teach to the test. They teach the kids to take & pass the TAKS actually beginning in 1st grade! [/b]
Starting in FIRST grade?? Thats insane!!

May 15th, 2007, 08:59 AM
It's all over the place thanks to No Child Left Behind. Here in VA they call the tests the SOLs. Could they have come up with a better acronym?!?! (It means standards of learning, but the OTHER meaning seems to apply as well.) I feel really bad for the kids who are simply "bad" test takers.

Smaller on the Outside

May 15th, 2007, 09:29 AM
I just don't understand why they insist on hurting children this way? Why don't they all wake up and see that teaching to a certain test is not teaching. It is mass manipulation!!!! These poor kids! How can they ever be expected to go out into the real world that they can't cram for? My husband has the hardest time with the people he hires to work for him. They cannot make their own decisions. Everything is too hard and they want you to tell them what to do every moment of the day. He has to make little charts for each one so they know what is expected. And he has to give treats and rewards! It is insane! See what this whole testing well thing has done????

May 15th, 2007, 09:29 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Yup..then on the flip side Heather you have kids like Noah that can ace a test like that yet can not actually grasp some of the concepts..yet because he did so well on the tests they think he can so he gets left behind!
May 15th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Yeah, teaching to the test makes no sense. You know, my mom was a good test taker, but they made her excessively nervous since even in her little private Catholic school in the 50s and 60s there was a huge emphasis on doing well on tests. And so she chose not to go to college because she couldn't bear the thought of taking even more tests. She was thrilled when I tested Ani (since we have to by law for proof of progress) just sitting in the chair with her, very low-key, in a sort of "hey let's do this fun thing" sort of way.

Smaller on the Outside

May 15th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Here in FL they have the FCAT and these teachers now specifically train these children to pass this test and that's all that they have time for.[/b]
We lived in Florida for a while. My sister in law and cousin in law where sent to graduate there. The teacher actually told my husband that the reason why the kept failing the FCAT was they were thinking to much and coming up with there own conclusions. It was hard for them because that's what was expected on NY regencies. Yet college seemed really easy for us because we didn't take everything at face value. Did you know in Florida you have to take a standardized test to get your college degree now?

May 15th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
All I know is FL has a truly messed up school system. It's so SAD!

May 15th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Quote:
The teacher actually told my husband that the reason why the kept failing the FCAT was they were thinking to much and coming up with there own conclusions.[/b]
I believe it!

May 15th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Good thing Ani's not in a public school in FL then! After all she's already thinking for herself and coming up with an answer that works for her.

Smaller on the Outside

May 15th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
QUOTE(Jenneve @ May 15 2007, 07:20 AM)
The schools here also teach to the test. They teach the kids to take & pass the TAKS actually beginning in 1st grade!

Starting in FIRST grade?? Thats insane!![/b]
Yep, 1st grade! They actually start them with multiple choice questions and teaching them HOW to fill in the little oval! Crazy!!

Quote:
The teacher actually told my husband that the reason why the kept failing the FCAT was they were thinking to much and coming up with there own conclusions.

I believe it![/b]
This reminds me of a "test" Jack had taken in 1st grade (ps). I got so mad when I reviewed his paper because there was a question that asked his OPINION about whatever it was. But it was marked as WRONG because it wasn't the RIGHT opinion. It's like the teacher was saying that the kids were entitled to their opinion as long as it was the same as hers.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

May 15th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Wow... I wasn't aware opinions could be wrong.

Smaller on the Outside

May 15th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
question that asked his OPINION about whatever it was. But it was marked as WRONG because it wasn't the RIGHT opinion[/b]
That's like how the FCAT is. It would ask what do you think the author was trying to say. We actually had to spend time at home prepping them for the test saying "okay, what's the answer that is a little related that you would mark wrong" and that would usually be the right answer or "now dumb down your answer". This was the test they had to pass to graduate. If they didn't they'd get a diploma that said they attended high school for four years. I could go on and on about the FCAT. it's one of the original reasons why we decided to home school. Let me clarify I by no means think kids in FL are stupid but that is the worst test I have ever seen.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search