Controlling Montessori Mess???

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 18th, 2007, 06:47 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I really love the Montessori-type approach of allowing children free access to suitable tools/materials. But, ugh! How do you teach them to keep control of the mess w/o standing over them and nagging all day!?

Dr. Montessori claimed that children naturally crave order and quiet. She never met my kids.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 18th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Do you have very specific places for the things to go? I don't know if there is an Ikea anywhere remotely near you, but they have these really cool cubby sort of things that you put drawers in. Ummm... hard to explain, but I always think they'd be great for Montessori stuff.

Here, you can kind of see the type of thing I am talking about in this picture. We use one as a toy cabinet in the rec room and one in my closet for my sewing stuff. They have three styles, but we really like the stepped type. There are three sizes of drawers. Green is one deep, white is two deep, black is three deep.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 18th, 2007, 10:15 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Love the bins Heather!

Have you tried the little rugs that they must keep the mess on? I will be trying this soon myself.

May 18th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Heather, those bins are really nice. The closest Ikea would be about 9 hours from us... not exactly close. Their prices seemed to be pretty good, but shipping furniture doubles the cost in a lot of cases. (I've been shopping for bookshelves, too.)

Chelita, I haven't thought about using little rugs. Hmmm....

Problem is, my older kids are just as bad as the little ones. They have NO concept of organizing. With their toys I just take them away when it is a problem, but I'm reluctant to do that with "school stuff" because that defeats the whole idea.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 18th, 2007, 10:48 AM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
I don't know we have the same problem. I have bins for everything but no one will bother to put the stuff back unless i tell them too. It is quite fustrating, even more so for DH.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
May 18th, 2007, 02:46 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Dr. Montessori claimed that children naturally crave order and quiet.[/b]
(Lol have been wanting to use that picture for awhile!)
Hmmmmmm, Kids you need to read Montessori!!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 18th, 2007, 06:21 PM
SOME kids do. Cameron does. Ani on the other hand...

Smaller on the Outside

May 19th, 2007, 06:55 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
I have a couple of plastic three drawer cabinets that I got at Wal Mart that I use to organize things. They're probably not as sturdy as the Ikea things, but I'm sure they're not as expansive either!

This shallower one I use in the schoolroom closet for paper and crayons and glue sticks, things like that. If you had more than one, I think they would stack on top of one another fairly easily. It was something like...$10, I think?

(yes, there is REALLY ugly wallpaper in the CLOSET of the schoolroom!! Blegh!)

This one with the deeper drawers is actually in Reilly's room and came with wheels that could be put on it. We use it for toys, but it could be used for larger craft type items.

I kind of had to giggle at the "children naturally crave order and quiet" because that's such a blanket statement to make when, as Heather said, you can have two kids in the same family who crave totally different things!! I think that kids like boundaries and knowing exactly what they are allowed to do and not to do, but sometimes that doesn't fall in the realm of "order and quiet"... did that make sense?
Sorry, I got OT!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

May 19th, 2007, 11:35 AM
We've gone through so many plastic storage thingies from Wal-Mart, I've probably spent as much as Heather spent on her nice cabinet! I'm thinking I'll have to get my men out in the garage. We have a ton of lumber out there, and how hard can it be to make boxes?

As for the "order and quiet" that observation could stem from the type of children Dr. Montessori worked with. They were kids from the slums of Italy. I can imagine such a child would welcome cleanliness and peace as a welcome break from hanging out in the streets. And, of course, this was in the day long before TV, computers, and video games! Most of those kids wouldn't have even owned toys.

May 19th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Our cubbies were cheaper than you'd think. We got them on sale for $49 (I think they're like $79 now not on sale) and $1/$2/$3 for the drawers (also on sale, they are a bit more not on sale).

Smaller on the Outside

May 19th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Oh, I know... that furniture was VERY reasonably priced. But I would have to factor in shipping...

May 19th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Yeah, I understand shipping is a killer from Ikea. We have two Ikeas within reasonable driving distance. One of those things about living in a major metropolitan area.

Smaller on the Outside

May 20th, 2007, 11:24 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Quote:
Our cubbies were cheaper than you'd think. We got them on sale for $49 (I think they're like $79 now not on sale) and $1/$2/$3 for the drawers (also on sale, they are a bit more not on sale).[/b]
Wow! That is a good price!

Yeah, the problem with the cheaper stuff is just that....it's cheaply made, so might not last as long. Jennifer, I think you've got the right idea - have Chuck make some for you!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search