Need a good book! HELP!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 18th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay I have been on a reading spree. I have read like 5 books in the past 3 weeks and suddenly can't find anything that interests me at the moment. I have been in the middle of Les Mis' for a couple years now and I keep thinking 'Okay, its time to finish it.' But I am stuck right now with them talking about the convent. There are so many parts that just drag and then some that speed me forward. It is dragging right now. I just finished a great book about a Christian missionary in China during WWII called The Small Woman. Now I am looking at the books on my shelves I still haven't started. I am in a book club that is doing Persuasion by Jane Austen, but I can't bring myself to read it. Anyway, anyone have any suggestions? The ones that I have yet to read on my shelf are Moby Dick, Watership Down, The Last of the Mohicans, Anne of Windy Poplars and there are more. Anyone read anything good lately? I feel in a slump and nothing looks good right now. Maybe I will read Little Women again or Black Arrow for the 3rd time, but I really want something new and none of my classics sound good at the moment. UGH!

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

May 18th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Stellaluna's Avatar Super Mommy
I recently read "The Prestige" by Christopher Preist and "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. Very different books, but both really good. I'm finally finishing up the Narnia series with "The Last Battle" and will probably read "The Kite Runner" next (which I've heard excellent things about as well!

Happy reading!

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">Homeschooling Mom to Sam (3-21-02)

My Photography Website

My Blog - Pollywog in a Blog</span>
May 18th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Some of my favorites are Farenheit 451, Bridge to Terabithia, and To Kill a Mockingbird. I'm reading Devil in the White City right now. It's a parallel book telling about the making of the 1893 Chicago World's Fair and the most prolific serial murderer in US history who was in Chicago at the same time. The stories are not totally connected exactly, but the happened at the same time. It's very interesting and I really love it since it's history and true crime all rolled into one (my favorite two genres). Cameron's listening to Eragon tonight. He watched the movie and just loved it and wanted to read the book, too. Fun part of that one is Christopher Paolini is a homeschool graduate. Ummm... On my list of books to read is the set of non-Little House Little House books. The ones about Laura's mother, grandmother, etc. And then sometimes I like to read things that are just light, easy, and fun. Like the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series (I love those four books!).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 19th, 2007, 07:20 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Well, if you like light, Christian fiction, The Potluck Club series is really fun.

Also, some of my favorite books of all times are Hawaii (by James Michener), Memoirs of a Geisha, The Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood, The Bonesetters Daughter, by Amy Tan...and lots of other books by her...(the only one I've not liked by her is Saving Fish from Drowning)...Gone with the Wind, and a book called Icy Sparks about a little girl growing up with Tourette's Syndrome.

Oh, Heather, the book you're reading sounded so good that I just went and requested it from the library!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

May 19th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Another book I love is Johnny Tremain. Historical fiction, set at the beginning of the Revolutionary War.

Smaller on the Outside

May 19th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Some good ideas ladies thanks. I am trying to get into Persuasion I decided. Its good so far. I guess I will have to see what else I can find when I am done- if I get done with it. I am just not in an Austen mood, but I need something to read.

ETA: I also love historical fiction. Maybe I will try Johnny Tremain. Anyone ever read Moby Dick? Its one I have always wanted to read, but just haven't yet.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

May 19th, 2007, 01:12 PM
We read the great illustrated classics version and have all decided that is one book we never, ever desire to read in its normal version. Jamie read the first 100 pages when he was in high school. He switched to the Cliffs Notes because he just couldn't stand reading it anymore.

Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search