phonics

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2007, 07:37 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We use Explode the Code for phonics and then just books for reading. I also include some of my own little games/activites to reinforce what they're learning with ETC. Here are some examples of the favorites:

Letter Bingo--I give them a card with all the letters they're learning/have learned; then I call out words beginning with those letters and they have to find the correct letter on their card & put a sticker on it

Memory Matching--just play like Memory/Concentration; sometimes they match lower case letters only, sometimes they match the lower case letter to it's upper case form; I usually have them tell me a word that begins with that letter when they make a match; sometimes they play matching pictures and then tell me what letter that picture begins with

Pin the ? on the ? (insert letter & object beginning with that letter)--played like pin the tail on the donkey

Scavenger Hunt--go searching either inside or out for objects beginning with a certain letter
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

May 21st, 2007, 07:42 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Declan and Jae both learned their letter sounds from LeapFrog Letter Factory.. they both use the Explode the Code series and Declan also uses HOP and a Sight Word series which he loves!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search