I'm finally gonna jump in here

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
I've lurked here for a little while, and post occasionally in the Labor and Childbirth forums. I know Chelita IRL and she brought me here. I've been looking around for the "right" homeschool forum and just haven't found it. But discussion here seems to be diverse enough and slow enough that I can keep up (unlike the other places I've looked at). Besides, I'm on that Just-Bought-My-Curriculum high and I want to share it !

So, I'm Charlotte, homeschooling mama to Samuel (6) and Atley (almost 4). We started homeschooling rather abruptly this fall and only did about half of a year before we both decided we didn't like what I'd bought and that it was next to impossible to get school done with Atley in preschool every morning (we put him in school when we thought Samuel would also be in school, but it didn't work out that way). So we've had about a 5 month break from school. It started about the time Samuel started to read at a very advanced rate and I suddenly didn't feel guilty not doing school because he's reading two or three Magic Tree House books a week! LOL!

Yesterday was Atley's last day of school and after quite a bit of reading and research and frustration (ask Chelita!), I've decided on WinterPromise Children Around the World. I didn't buy the whole thing and actually changed up some of it quite a bit, but I feel confident that it's something we'll be able to stick with and not get too bogged down. We'll start the WP as soon as it comes in (in a week or two) and then in the fall we'll add my own geology course that I'm working on right now and phonics, language arts and math.

For those, Samuel will do First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind, and Right Start Math (B ), starting in the fall. Atley will do Ordinary Parents Guide for phonics and possibly Right Start Math (A) also starting in the fall. I anticipate having to buy two to three levels of math this year, since we haven't really done any math yet, but I suspect that he'll pick up on it pretty quickly with the right math program.

It would be so nice if it all worked out as well as I have it laid out here, but I know that probably won't be the case. LOL!
May 19th, 2007, 03:51 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi, welcome back. I remember you posting here a few months ago. Actualy it's those cute matching outfits your boys are wearing that I remember!
My kids are Sarah 5 1/2 and Daniel 2 1/2. We are mostly doing home made games and a few workbooks at the moment.
Sounds like you have everything well thought out!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 19th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Stellaluna's Avatar Super Mommy
Hello and welcome to the board!

I have a Samuel too (just turned 5) who is just starting to get into "The Magic Treehouse" books as well !

Your curriculum for next year sounds great! I've just recently decided on what to use for next year as well so I'm still having that decided on a curriculum exhilarated feeling too . We'll be using either Winter Promise American Story 1 or Animal Worlds, Winter Promise Language Arts grade 1 with LA grade 2 readers, Math U See and an assortment of other things for art, music, logic, and history/geography.

Once again, welcome!

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">Homeschooling Mom to Sam (3-21-02)

My Photography Website

My Blog - Pollywog in a Blog</span>
May 19th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That sounds like a great plan! I'm sure your boys will do just great! My DS is 4 and we've been doing some things this year; mostly workbooks and fun activities that I throw in myself. He seems to respond very well to workbooks so I'm going with it! I'm buying our first real curriculum this summer- we're going to do alpha omega's 123 Read, abeka's math and bob jones bible Plus I still have to decide on a handwriting booklet for him. I'm thinking penmanship to praise or a reason for handwriting- He knows how to make the letters now he just needs an excuse to use them!
Anyways, welcome back! I hope you stick around a little bit more!

May 19th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Oh, Charlotte!!! I'm glad to see you here You know me... Heather, age 29, married to Jamie, 31, for 9 years on the 5th of June. Ani's 7 now, Cameron's 5 1/2, and Fritz is 10 months. We are using Sonlight and have discovered that literature based learning is just perfect for my kids.

I can't believe Samuel is is 6... I remember when he was born... then again I can't believe Ani is 7 either.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 19th, 2007, 07:25 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany

It's nice to meet you even if you called us slow. I'm Jennifer, ending our sixth year of homeschooling. My kids names and ages are in my siggy. Sounds like you're more organized than I am, and I supposedly an old hand at this!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 19th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm Tisha, 25, DH, Doug, 31. DS, Eathan will be 4 July 23 and Garrett will be 17 mos June 6. We have been doing very small things to learn numbers and letters, but this year I am wanting to put together a preschool program for Eathan. I'm completely new to homeschooling, but I'm getting it figured out. Thanks to WONDERFUL advice from these helpful ladies.

May 19th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
Slow in that there are only about 6-10 new topics since I wrote this. On Mothering, I'm a whole page behind already! I just can't keep up there. And it seems more personal here.

Heather, nope, I can't believe Ani's 7 and Samuel's 6 either. I remember when Cameron was born, too...I think he used Samuel's kissaluvs .

Retroactive--I think sometimes that interest in workbooks is an age thing, too. My 4 yo would LOVE all workbooks (and has done more than his share thus far, actually), but he's a more auditory learner so I know at some point the workbooks wouldn't work for him anymore. Though we might end up supplementing with workbooks until then because he thinks he has to have a workbook to be "doing school." LOL!

Oh, and it's TOTALLY time to update the siggy. Those pics are...two years old? We had pics done just the other day and I'm awaiting the proofs so I can do a new one. Rest assured the outfits are just as cute, though .
May 19th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi and welcome!
If you are a friend of Chelita's, then you have to be a cool person! I know her IRL too! Maybe she can introduce us. As soon as we can finish school for the summer....which will be this week.....I want to have Chelita and her boys over to swim and play. Maybe you can join us .
I look forward to getting to know you!
May 20th, 2007, 01:09 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Hi, Charlotte!! Welcome back!! I love the pace of this board as well, and there are not so many ladies on here that you feel like you don't actually know anyone.
I'm Lisa and my kids are Reilly, who is almost 7, and Declan who is 4. We're going to be finished with first grade here in two weeks, so I'm super excited that summer is coming! (I'm a little bit jealous of Shery, being done in a week! ) Your curriculum sounds really good! I've looked at the Winter Promise language arts stuff a little bit because I'm still trying to decide what route to take as far as LA goes next year. We use Math U See for math and then just read stuff for reading.

I'm glad you came back to the board and I look forward to getting to know you!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

May 20th, 2007, 06:28 PM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi!

I am pretty new on here myself. Not new to hs'ing though. I was hs'd 8th grade on and my dh from 3rd grade on.

My kids names and ages are in my siggie!

Looking forward to getting to know you!

Oh, and hs'ing is great for an advanced child. They can go as quickly (or as slowly) as they need to. My dd reas about 2-3 grade level, but her math is probably end of 1st....science I am not sure, but ahead. Hs'ing is nice because it really doesn't matter what "grade level" it is...we just do what is right for that child at that time! And that is difficult for ps to do because of the number of children in each class.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

May 21st, 2007, 08:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi and Welcome!

I'm Jenny. I'm happy you found us. These ladies are wonderful!

Xander is right in the middle of The Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading... (is that the title I'm not sure) and he'll be using First Language Lessons too.

And in a weird coincidence I'll be able to remember your name really easily. My midwife's name was Charlotte too.
May 21st, 2007, 04:56 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Charlotte! I am so happy your here!

And your "plan" sounds great.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search