Hi, I am new here

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 20th, 2007, 02:10 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Hi! My name is Rebecca and I am 27 years old. I have 2 sons, Bryce who is almost 8 and going into 3rd grade and Scotty who is almost 4.

Like most parents, when Bryce turned 5, I started him in public schools. Bryce is very outgoing, hyper, and full of energy and he has really excelled in school. However, no matter how smart he is or how well he is doing, I feel worse and worse about the state of our public school system. I live in a small mountain town and wonder often about the quality of his education.

This bring me to Scotty - my absolute last child, for sure! LOL But he is so different than Bryce. He craves one on one learning and thrives that way. He is not as social as my other child and really learns differently. Also, he has a late birthday and we had some trouble figuring out "preschool" issues - I don't want to start him when he is 5 in Kindergarten - I want to wait until the year he is turning 6. Apparently that takes an act of congress around here! Faced with this, I started exploring other options. Having once been absolutely against homeschooling (thanks to a mom who turned me off to it long ago with her own attitude), I turned in that direction. I have met several moms in my town who homeschool and their kids are among the brightest I have met! They are well rounded, nuturing, and very loving kids. They tend to be more involved in church life and less involved in finding bad things to do.

I bought several books, have read and read on the internet about homeschooling, and have finally decided this is totally for me! I am going to start with my youngest son this fall. I am going to do pre-k here at home with him and then we will start a pre-k/kindergarten cirriculum the following fall. Just so I keep true to my original plan, I will not fully engage him in Kindergarten learning until the fall when he turns 6, but I hope to have him ready long before that. What I need help with is finding guides to help me plan for his learning - I have one book that is GREAT and packed full of activities for us to do. I plan to start those on Monday with him. They are fun and educational and I think he will really enjoy them even though it is summer.

Since Bryce is very much against me taking him out of school right now, I plan to leave him in his school while I work with Scotty. I want to learn all I can, work on my own skills and get the hang of this rather than jumping in at 3rd grade and failing him! However, I do plan on taking him out in 7th grade and homeschooling him. I feel like middle school and highschool are the times when good kids are most likely to stray.

Anyway, enough about me. I look forward to meeting you all and learning as much as I can from you!
May 20th, 2007, 02:33 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to the homeschooling board and welcome to JM! I see this is your first post. I love this board, the ladies are all super friendly and suportive here.

I have two kids, Sarah 5 1/2 and Daniel 2 1/2. Sarah would have been in prep (like kindergarten)over here if we had gone the school route. She could have legaly gone to first grade as they did a revamp of the system and kids born in 2001 could get in sooner. *sigh* From next year the cut of will be July thankgoodness, but for this year it was made right up to December. Her birthday is two weeks before cut of and she is totaly unready for first grade work. Not that I ever planed to go the school route, but just saying I understand about jumping through hoops to hold back a year. Apparantly the board of education would have wanted to know why. Sarah is a rightbrained kenetic type learner, totaly unsuited to school type learning. I am so glad we homeschool! Love the freedom.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 20th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to homeschooling and welcome to our boards! The girls here are soooo helpful!!
My son is four and we are also doing a pre-k/K thing right now.
Here's a link that helped me:
http://www.worldbook.com/wb/Students...ulum/preschool
There are also several books out there like What your preschooler should know- I think that's what that one's called. They have them for just about every grade now.

Kudos on wanting to wait a little longer to start K- I think kids are made to grow up way too early these days!

May 20th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Welcome! I am Heather, 29, married to Jamie, 31, for almost 9 years. We have Ani, 7, Cameron, 5 1/2, and Fritz, 10 months. We've homeschooled from the start. I was homeschooled for a few years myself.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 20th, 2007, 05:18 PM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi!

Sounds like you have a great plan!!! And I can't believe they tried to give you a difficult time about waiting until the year he turned 6 to start K!!! Oh, because he is 5 (or close) he MUST start school now--nevermind if he is ready! It really sounds like you are making the best decision for Scotty and your whole family right now!

I am Sharon. We decided to homeschool from the start--although this is our first year actually hs'ing. My dh was hs'd 3rd grade on and I was from 8th grade on.

Looking forward to getting to know you!

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

May 20th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi I'm Lisa. my son will be 5 in June and working on 1-2 grade work. He's a kid that loves moving and never sits. I mean it's a challenge to get him to stay siting to go to the bathroom. I know TMI. He would get in so much trouble at school because of this and probably discourage him. Plus I don't know how they would get him to be quiet for two seconds . He has some issues that we are trying to deal with through marshal arts.Within the first week I'm sure they'd say "socially" he wasn't ready and send him to pre-k even though academically he's ahead.

May 20th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm Tisha!! DS Eathan is going to be 4 in July and we are planning on starting our HS with a pre k/K program. This will be our first year and I am completely new to all of it!! These ladies give wonderful advice and are VERY helpful! I love it here and I'm so glad I found it. Can't wait to get to know you better! Best Wishes for your HS journey!

May 20th, 2007, 06:30 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany

Hi, I'm Jennifer... nice to meet you! I have five kids (names and ages are in my siggy) and we are finishing our sixth year of homeschooling.

Your description of your sons reminds me a bit of my oldest two. Robert went to public preschool and kindergarten. He loved it, and he's the type of kid that probably could have learned to play the system quite well. Raechel, OTOH, would have been lost in a classroom. I am SO THANKFUL that we were led to homeschooling!

I hope you like it here!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 21st, 2007, 07:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi and welcome!

I'm Jenny. I have three sons, Xander, Lucas, and Aiden. Xander is our only school aged child. He's just finishing up Kindergarten. Lucas likes to do 'school' because his big brother does. So he does a lot of coloring and learning his abc's.

Keep reading the homeschooling books. That's my biggest advice. I wish I would have done more of it when Xander was smaller.
May 21st, 2007, 07:38 AM
momroma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to momroma
Hi and welcome! My name is Jodi.....I am married to Troy for 11 years, we have 4 kids, Trevor, 10, Adelaide 7, Owen is 4 and Noah is 3 months....I am new to homeschooling too....just getting things figured out myself!
I wish you the best and again Welcome!

Trevor 14, Adelaide 11, Owen 7, Noah 4, Oliver 2 weeks!

May 21st, 2007, 06:29 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just wanted to say hello and add....that my Eli did maybe a month of schooling for kinder. He needed that time to play and mature a bit. It made a world of difference. Don't let others make you feel guilty for doing what is right for your child!

And...here in LA you don't have to start until they are 7 if I am remembering right. That is important because they aren't all ready by age 5. Most aren't. Heck, I hear my public school moms around me talk about all their kids getting held back in first grade due to starting them too early. Stick to your guns!

May 22nd, 2007, 06:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Just wanted to say Hi and welcome to the board!. I'm from Illinois, but just came back from spending a week in the Smoky Mountains. They're beautiful!! How lucky you are to see that everyday!
Congrats on your decision to homeschool. Sounds like your son will thrive from it. Have fun and ask lots of questions here. We just finished up our first official year of homeschooling and absolutely loved it! Already can't wait for next year.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search