Contractors

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 20th, 2007, 07:21 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
This is our first home and I recently hired my first contractor to fix a window.

That was two weeks ago.

I'm stuck with him, since he was the only one out of seven in the area to even return my message. He was supposed to be here last Wednesday. He called me on Thursday evening saying maybe he'd be out Friday, but if not then definitely Sunday afternoon.

Guess who didn't show up today?

I'm not grumpy about it, and thank goodness he didn't even ask for me to give him money yet. It would be nice, however, to get that cardboard removed... it is just embarrassing.

And I thought getting maintenance at an apartment was difficult...

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 20th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Good luck with that! DH broke out our bathroom window when he was redoing it and my brother (well he is like a brother) has a window business and it still took 2 weeks to get it fixed.

May 20th, 2007, 08:43 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry. I kind of feel bad for them as well as you seeing we are in trade ourselves.....Locks not windows, but yes sometimes things can take awhile to get too!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 20th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I'm not sure how some people can stay in business if they don't even return calls. Not showing up when they say they will without letting you know really annoys me. I can totally understand being busy, but to not have the courtesy to let you know that day won't work out drive me up the wall.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 21st, 2007, 07:58 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I'm really not upset, but it is a little irritating for the exact reason that Heather mentioned. I understand that up here they have only a few months of the year during which major jobs can be done. However, when he says "I'll be there sometime Friday" I feel obligated to make sure I stay at home on Friday. Making a phone call to say you can't make it afterall only takes a minute. Jo, I'm sure you guys probably don't go days without even calling somebody who is waiting for you.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 21st, 2007, 12:56 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Ooooo, don't get me started on contractors!! Long story short, we got thoroughly and completely screwed over by a contractor who did some major remodeling on our home a few years ago. We took him to small claims court and everything...won the case for $2300, garnished his bank account for $325 because that was all that was in there, and never heard from him again. I'm sure he's out there, fleecing some other poor sap now.
Suffice to say, I'm less than trusting of people who come to our house to do things now...even the carpet cleaner guys!

(Unfortunately he made some money off of my dad/your mom, too! You know the work in their kitchen? Yeah, that was Richard...or D!CK, as I like to call him!)

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

May 21st, 2007, 01:47 PM
momroma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to momroma
I'm with ya...we had a guy come LAST summer to put a gutter over our door and paint it, he got it put up...then never showed up again to paint, it is half done, all payed for....and now....can't find the guy. It was a minor job, but would have been nice to have had it completed. He did mention when he was here that he had just gotten out of prison....hmmmmm.....

Trevor 14, Adelaide 11, Owen 7, Noah 4, Oliver 2 weeks!

May 21st, 2007, 04:01 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
weeelll... I am quite sure we have fluffed up a few requests, like forgetting till the next day. Not emergincies of course! Dh always finishes his jobs though! Yesterday he asks for $20 and the guy gave him $50 and said it was worth it. So horay for happy customers!! leaving stuff unpainted is definatly not on. Dh even cleans up any sawdust hes made with his dust buster. He sure gets some eyes for that. Let me tell you nearly every trade guy whos made a mess here left it here!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search