Who's on the Hot Seat?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2007, 09:35 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Between going out of town and getting this icky cold I've been negligent in putting someone on the hot seat. This week it's Jo (Kitty-Cat). Let's give Jo a busy week!

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 21st, 2007, 12:59 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Heeeere, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty! Heh, heh, heh!

OK, Jo, here goes...
  1. How did you meet your husband?
  2. What were you like in high school?
  3. What is your favorite movie?
  4. What is your biggest fear?
  5. What is the grossest thing you've eaten...aside from Vegemite? (Haha, just kidding!)
  6. What is the craziest thing you've ever done for love? (ETA: Meaning, like, sing under someone's window in the middle of the night or something like that...I didn't want you to think I was some kind of pervert or something!)

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

May 21st, 2007, 01:42 PM
momroma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to momroma
I love these....heehee!

What was your childhood like?
What was your favorite past time as a child?
Are you reading a good book right now?

Trevor 14, Adelaide 11, Owen 7, Noah 4, Oliver 2 weeks!

May 21st, 2007, 03:06 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Lisa your so sweet.....

How did you meet your husband? At a Christian singles camp! Yes really I had totaly been in the dumps for some time getting over an ex and my friend told me I needed to get out and that I was going to camp with her! So I got draged ..ah taken to camp were I met this sweet guy. Lol who couldn't even get our names straight! He thought she was Jo and I was Roberta Lol so he asks someone for Robertas address so he could write to me...Bwhahahahaha (ok I need my smilie page up)

What were you like in high school? Shy, quiet. But with a bad attitude to school, teachers, and school work. Thought the whole thing was a torturous waste of time!

What is your favorite movie? Oh golly I never know what to put for these questions. Whatever I last saw that really made me laugh. It changes.

What is your biggest fear? That something bad will happen to my kids. Which I guess all mums have. Apart from that it is definatly big hairy spiders!! I am totaly paranoid after an encounter I had when I was 12.

What is the grossest thing you've eaten...aside from Vegemite? (Haha, just kidding!)
Haha! One spoonfull of (I can't remember how to pronounce or spell this) Kernas burgers clops. I will have to ask dh how it is prononced. This is a German dish Mil makes for dh and his dad. gag! It has these very pale meat ball things floating in it...

What is the craziest thing you've ever done for love? (ETA: Meaning, like, sing under someone's window in the middle of the night or something like that...I didn't want you to think I was some kind of pervert or something!) Lol! Hmmm nothing I don't think...singing under a window would mostly result in mass evacuation so I stick to little cards!

What was your childhood like? I had a great childhood apart from school. My friend and I would spend lots of time playing outside, playing Monopoly and Legos. I also watched way to much TV, while eating bowls of rice bubbles.

What was your favorite past time as a child? Playing legos. Dad gave me a table and I would set up an entire world on it.

Are you reading a good book right now? I havn't read a good book in ages. I seem to read homeschooling mags and catalogs and that is it. Soon as we get Dumbing us Down I will start to read that.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 21st, 2007, 04:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
This is fun...

How old were you when you got married?
How did your husband propose?
How long did you date him before he popped the question?
What is your favorite thing to cook?
What's your favorite thing to do when it's nice outside?

May 21st, 2007, 06:16 PM
How old were you when you got married? 33, I am a late starter.

How did your husband propose? We went up the Bunya Mts for dinner and he proposed outside. I knew he had been planning to for awhile.

How long did you date him before he popped the question? 9 months. Took him 3 months to get the nerve up to ask.

What is your favorite thing to cook? I am not much of a cook but probably my rice salad as it's about the best thing I make and it always gets eaten. Apart from that I really enjoy making a special cake for my kids birthdays.

What's your favorite thing to do when it's nice outside? Take a picnic to the park.

May 21st, 2007, 07:08 PM
  • What makes you laugh a lot?
  • What is your favorite thing about your husband?
  • If you could go back and tell your high school self some advice, what would it be?
  • Where did you go on your honeymoon?
  • Does the water really swirl down the drain backwards down there?
  • Do you eat the chooks that you raise?
  • Are you impressed that I said "chooks" and not "chickens"?
  • What is your dream vacation?
  • What does your dream home look like?
  • What did you do before you had kids?
OK, I'm done for now!
*grin*

May 21st, 2007, 08:15 PM
What makes you laugh a lot? Lol everything! I laugh pretty easily it seems. I laugh at tv shows, stuff I read on here or something silly dh says. One time we were car sharing to Bible study and Wendy said something which made me laugh and her kid pipes up from the back seat "Why is she laughing" meaning why are we driving with this crazy lady mum! Which of course made me laugh again! I tell dh that laughter is good for you and that he needs to laugh more. I will be cracking up and he barly regesters a smile, lol so I tickle him to get a chuckle!

What is your favorite thing about your husband? His sweet nature and gentleness. He's also quite funny...well at least to me.

If you could go back and tell your high school self some advice, what would it be? Oh heck that kid sure needed some advice. I would tell myself to stop flunking around, stop skipping school and to do my work. Also to stop being so worried of everyone elses opinion of me. May as well get used to being weird young!

Where did you go on your honeymoon? We went to South Molle Island. It's miles away up the coast, it took us a couple of days to drive up as we couldn't aford to fly. http://www.seethewhitsundays.com/opp...mi/smolle.html And guess what, we saw someone from our town there!

Does the water really swirl down the drain backwards down there? haha don't you mean does it swirl the right way?

Do you eat the chooks that you raise? *clutches chooks to her self in a protective stance while brandishing a pocker at Lisa* Does that answer that.

Are you impressed that I said "chooks" and not "chickens"? very!

What is your dream vacation? I would love to go back to England and actualy see it. I went as a kid to viset the relies and saw basicaly nothing. I would love love love to see Rome and America as well. I would take all the time that I needed and stay in B&B's. In reality we are hoping to save up enough to go touring around Tasmania with the kids in 3 or so years.I went 10 years ago and loved it, dh has never been down there.

What does your dream home look like? Something with lots and lots of storage! It would have 3 bedrooms as well as an office and a school room. Not that I would do school in it probably but would just be great to keep everything together. It would probably be an old done up Queenslander with the mouldings, stain glass and wide varandas. Outside I would like a wild cottage garden and an old tree that is good to climb for the kids. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queensl...(architecture)

What did you do before you had kids? I have done a few things. mainly though I was a kindy pre-school assistant and a nanny.

May 22nd, 2007, 06:26 AM
When's your birthday?
What's your middle name?
When's your anniversary?
Who's your hero?
What's your favorite flavor of ice cream?
Do you call them mobiles or cell phones or something else?
What happened to your first baby?
What was her name?
When was she born?
(Ignore those three questions if you'd rather not answer.)
How'd you come up with your kids' names?
Isn't it weird how similar educationally Sarah and Cameron are?
How long ago did your ancestors arrive in Australia (if you know)?

Smaller on the Outside

May 22nd, 2007, 02:44 PM
Bumpity Bump!

Smaller on the Outside

May 22nd, 2007, 03:56 PM
When's your birthday? 8th of September

What's your middle name? Margaret

When's your anniversary? 2nd October

Who's your hero? Oh hard question....Daniel from the Bible would be one. Lol it's too early to think yet.

What's your favorite flavor of ice cream? An Italian brand that dh bought this tiny little cup of when were on our holidays last March. It started with G... I will have to ask him when he gets back from the gym. Otherwise macadamia would be my regular favourite.

Do you call them mobiles or cell phones or something else? Lol they are called mobile phones here.

What happened to your first baby? Thatís ok I will answer. I don't often get to talk about her.
Our first baby was diagnosed with anencephaly at the 19 week scan. This is a neural tube defect, related to spina bifida but little known. Instead of the spine it affects the skull, brain and top of the face. Some babies are less or more effected but none live. I carried her to 33 weeks then developed polyhydramacis.(sp) That simply means excess fluid. Sometimes babies with anen don't swallow the amniotic fluid like a normal baby does and so it keeps building up. I was measuring about 42 weeks at that stage and was in quite a bit of pain so the Dr said it was time. To carry on risked rupture. Since then I have learnt that American mums have been offered fluid reductions but this was never offered to me. It was up to me what kind of birth I wanted and I decided on the ceasor. I met the nicest lady during this time. She had had twin girls, one who had had anen. She was also a midwife and she thought the ceasor was best too.

What was her name? Her name was Elizabeth Joy. I felt led to call her Elizabeth which means God's promise. It just came to me one night when I was asleep. I think it was God's way of promising us other children as well as the promise that Elizabeth would be in his care. Joy just seemed to go with that and felt right.

When was she born? She was born on the 10th August 2000, was just under 3lb and lived for 40 minutes.

How'd you come up with your kids' names? I am a name storer, so I already had the list of names in my head that I liked. My girls names were Sarah, Rachel and Kathryn. The boys were Daniel, Andrew, and Alexander.
I was friends with a family who I met 15 years ago now, whose second daughter was named Kathryn. She was the sweetest little girl and I always said if I had a daughter I would name her after her. By the time I was pregnant again, Sarah was my favourite.
I liked Sarah because it was Biblical and seemed strong yet feminine. I also thought it would not be misspelt or mispronounced. People are always misspelling and mis pronouncing our last name. I can't count how many times I have been called "Mrs Ride el" or worse Mrs Riddle! Lol the name is Riedel, as in Rye(like the bread) and del. Seems simple to me.
But I still wanted to use Kathryn but felt it didn't flow with Sarah so I changed it to the Irish form of Kathleen. So Sarah is Sarah Kathleen.

Daniel is one of my long time favourite names too. It is after one of my favourite Bible men. Also again most people know how to spell and pronounce it. I choose James as his middle name as it seemed to flow well and I liked the idea of nickname initials. Sometimes we call him DJ. I did think about Alexander James and rather liked the nick AJ better then DJ, but dh shot that down saying AJ means army jerk! Lol.

Isn't it weird how similar educationally Sarah and Cameron are? Very! I think they are both right brained kinetic learners. I've noticed Cameron will have a spurt then Sarah will or vise versa. I think they will make great pen pals!

How long ago did your ancestors arrive in Australia (if you know)? I am only first generation Australian and thankfully those 'ancestors' are still alive and kicking! Dad came over in 1952 and mom I think was 1956. They both came over on the "white Australian Policy" Quite raciest the Gvt was paying $10 to white, preferable British people to emigrate.
My dad was actually born in India but back then it was British occupied so he was considered British too. My ancestors as far as I know are English, Irish and I believe maybe Viking.

May 22nd, 2007, 04:46 PM
Jamie's cousins in Australia went from England to Australia in the same time period (a couple years after your mom) through that same program!

Smaller on the Outside

May 22nd, 2007, 04:59 PM
I think the Gvt must have been pushing it as the best thing since sliced bread.

May 22nd, 2007, 05:33 PM
Ummmm, $10 to move to a different country? That doesn't seem like much incentive!

Thanks so much for sharing about Elizabeth Joy. My husband's cousin had a daughter born last year with anacephaly and my heart just broke for them. They also found out at 20 weeks and tabatha carried her to 38 or 39 weeks, I think. They named her Kayman.
  • What is your favorite kind of flower?
  • Was it "gelato"....the ice cream?
  • Will you have more kids or are you done?
I think I'm running out of questions!!

May 22nd, 2007, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Ummmm, $10 to move to a different country? That doesn't seem like much incentive![/b]
Lol, well it was the 1950's so it would have been worth more...But I guess they also talked up how great it was here, and 1950's was aparantly a wonderful time of opertunities here. Normaly you have to pay and go through hoops to emegrate so to be invited as a young person must have been quite exciting I would think.

Quote:
Thanks so much for sharing about Elizabeth Joy. My husband's cousin had a daughter born last year with anacephaly and my heart just broke for them. They also found out at 20 weeks and tabatha carried her to 38 or 39 weeks, I think. They named her Kayman.[/b]
It's actualy good to be able to share sometimes. I'm so sorry for them, it is such a heart renching time. Does she belong to the Yahoo group? That was a wonderful suport.

What is your favorite kind of flower? Roses

Was it "gelato"....the ice cream? yes that sounds like it!

Will you have more kids or are you done? I am 40 and very done!

I think I'm running out of questions!! Awwwwww!

May 22nd, 2007, 06:39 PM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
*Do you know that you are hilarious? (Not in a I am laughing at you way at all of course though!)
*Do you lean more toward unschooling, classical, or something else?
*What is your favorite color to wear?
*What is your favorite color schemes for decor?
*What is your current house like?
*What is your least favorite color to wear?
*What colors would you never want to use in your decor?
*Are you still clutching your chooks and holding a poker?
*What is your favorite dessert?

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

May 22nd, 2007, 07:41 PM
*Do you know that you are hilarious? (Not in a I am laughing at you way at all of course though!) I've been told I am funny. Sometimes I think I am just corny.

*Do you lean more toward unschooling, classical, or something else? More towards CM (Charlotte Mason) I plan to use copy work, narration, nature study and art appreciation. I also like unit studies and am slowly writing some history ones. Well re-writing *sigh* because when I changed to my new computer I lost about 30 lessons. Lol so I am right back at the start, up to about lesson 7.

*What is your favorite color to wear? I love pastels, my brides maids wore lilac. But I am trying to move away from those and am buying more browns and greens lately.

*What is your favorite color schemes for decor? I love the federation colours of cream, forest green and burgundy. Thatís more for the outside. I still like green and burgundy, but paler for inside. A bit of cream and or pink with that. It has to be the right shades though for me to like it. Not something hideous like lime. Our first flat had lime green kitchen benches, ick! I like wooden kitchens with those little lead light windows on some of the cupboards **dreams**
I would love to do my daughters room up with a princess theme and maybe do one wall purple. For my son I like dinosaurs and one wall red... maybe; would that make him hyper? Lol he doesnít need any help with that!

*What is your current house like? Old! Mostly pale grey walls. It was the 1948 Mill house. Like many house here it is up on small stumps. (They are not called stilts) This is due to the black soil, which moves houses and can crack windows. The design is quite useful as when you come in the back it is like a little alcove large enough for my computer and a couple of book cases. off that is a shower, basin and toilet which use to be used by mill workers as a clean up area. It was a very tiny place originally. What is now my laundry, kitchen and ds bedroom were added on I think in the 1960's. I thought a year ago that I was going to have my old kitchen done up but that fell through and all I got was one new bench! It's still been great as I finaly got my dishwasher out of the shed and into my kitchen and having the extra bench space has been wonderful. The bedrooms are nice and large and all 3 have built in cupboards. We then have a nice bathroom with a claw foot bath. There is also a front alcove/entrance, which isn't much of an entrance as it is taken up with the kids play kitchen and is always a huge mess! Well yes my entire house is a huge mess I confess! I am allergic to housework you see.... hmmm does that fly?

*What is your least favorite color to wear? Orange, lol even though I am using it here, orange is my least favourite colour.

*What colors would you never want to use in your decor? Black, orange, lime green!

*Are you still clutching your chooks and holding a poker? Lol, if Lisa comes anywhere near with her frying pan I sure will.

*What is your favorite dessert? Oh thatís a tie between the Aussie pavlova and one of those chocolate layer black forest type cakes with a dollop of ice cream. Yum!

Sorry for making some of these so long! Sometimes I can talk.

May 22nd, 2007, 07:57 PM
Kangaroo510
Ok, here goes...

*Can my family come and stay with you?

I want to raise Chooks too!

How about we trade.. you want to come to America? You can stay with me. It might be a squeeze in my 2 bedroom townhome but we will make it work. Then we'll travel back with you and you can teach me how to raise chickens! I think it sounds like a plan!

Ok, that's all of my questions.. mind went blank!
May 22nd, 2007, 08:04 PM
Lol Kangaroo!

Can my family come and stay with you? Sure, I will even toss the junk of the spare bed.

How about we trade.. you want to come to America? You can stay with me. It might be a squeeze in my 2 bedroom townhome but we will make it work. Then we'll travel back with you and you can teach me how to raise chickens! I think it sounds like a plan! yeha! Are you paying for the plane tickets??

May 23rd, 2007, 04:16 AM
Quote:
*What is your favorite dessert? Oh thatís a tie between the Aussie pavlova and one of those chocolate layer black forest type cakes with a dollop of ice cream. Yum![/b]
Mmmmm, pavlova! *drools* My friend Natalie's mom used to make that for us. Yum!

Quote:
*Are you still clutching your chooks and holding a poker? Lol, if Lisa comes anywhere near with her frying pan I sure will.[/b]
*gasp* I'd never chop up and fry your chickens!! I only fry pre-chopped, dead, nekkid chickens! Yours are safe around me!
Side note: Have you ever heard the Smothers Brothers bit about the chicken? One brother, Tom, talks about how his mom always liked the other brother, Dick, best because Dick had a dog and Tom only had a chicken named Frank. It's SO funny! "YOU CAN'T TAKE A CHICKEN ON A WALK!!" *laughs, wipes eyes* Sorry, I grew up on the Smother's Brothers!
  • Have you ever taken your chickens on a walk?
  • How DID you decide on chickens...oops, chooks....for pets?
  • Do your chooks have names?
  • Is one of them named Charlie Chook? Because if I had a chook, I'd TOTALLY name it Charlie Chook...actually, I'd probably just name it Chook since we call them chickens over here and "Chook" would just sound like a name to other people. HEY! You should get another chook and name it Chicken!!
  • Have you ever hotwired a car?
  • Neither have I...like I said, I'm running out of questions!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search