5 Books are Here: My Initial Reviews

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2007, 02:12 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
A few of my books arrived today. Some are for Children Around the World (WinterPromise) and some are just stuff I thought would be fun.

My initial reviews, in case you care :
Material World (for WP): AWESOME. I love the pictures of families in here. It shows families with all of their worldy posessions from lots of different countries. Suprisingly, some countries like Brazil and Argentina aren't all that different in their worldly posessions. But some, like Mali and Uzbekistan, are. The Uzbekistani family of 7 is pictured in the snow with a pile of quilts and rugs, a dining room table, a china cabinet, a barn, a summer and winter house, a cow, two dogs, and ONE bed. Their only "appliance" is a butter churn.

My only complaint would be that it's rather dated. Most of the photographs were taken in 1993. While things probably aren't that different in the US and other stable countries, I wondered as I read about how the fall of the USSR in 1991 influenced Uzbekistan, if things have changed for better or worse in the 14 years since the family was photographed? Overall, a VERY interesting resource, though. And great for my kids because even at this young age, they'll be able to visualize what other families do and don't live with.

Window on the World: When we Pray, God Works: this isn't actually on the WP curriculum I chose. I bought it instead of Listen to Us: the World's Working Children (because that concept seems a little hard to explain, not to mention harsh for ages 4 and 6). It's a good discussion of religion in other countries, worded at levels that kids will understand.

Wee Sing Around the World: Again, not on the curriculum, but I bought this for Atley because he loves songs and music so much. The kids love it, of course, and I find it terribly obnoxious. But it has a good selection of songs on it and has a song for just about every country we're going to study with WP. I'm not 100% how I'm going to incorporate it, but I think the kids will enjoy it even if all we do is listen to it in the car.

National Geographic Student Atlas of the World (for WP): It's an atlas. What can I say? I do like that it's not too juvenile (like I would imagine the Usborne Atlas being) but that it's written on a kid level.

The Earth: the Geography of Our World: This is the book that I'm basing our entire year of geology on. I love it. Every page has an experiement on it. For example, to learn the water cycle, you plant seedlings in a sideways 2-liter bottle and watch how the plants use the same water over and over again. Or to see how water changes the earth's surface, you make a pile of sand and gravel and use a watering can to pour water gently over it, then watch the "rivers" that form. It asks you to make a puddle in the yard and outline it with chalk or pebbles or string and see how long it takes to evaporate. Then is suggests doing it again in a shadier spot and seeing if there's a difference in the amount of time it takes to evaporate. It's a little book and could easily be mistaken for a cheezy kid book, but I'm very happy with it. I think it will make our self-guided geology study much more successful! I learned something just skimming it that I never knew: the delta region of a river is called such because it is a triangle and resembles the Greek letter Delta. You learn something new every day, especially as a homeschooling mom!!
May 21st, 2007, 02:29 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Sounds like good stuff! It's amazing how much I learn/re-learn with my kids (when we did Konos Africa-in-a-Bag I learned why the area of water is called a Delta when we learned about Egypt - Nile Delta). It is interesting how similar so many countries are the US, and then how some countries differ so greatly. I've been reading the blog http://www.sixintheworld.com since last summer. They are an American family that is taking a on year trip around the world. Their observations on the similarities and differences of countries are fascinating to me.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 21st, 2007, 03:53 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the reviews! That last book sounds rather interesting.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 21st, 2007, 06:34 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Of course we want to hear all about it!

I really love them all. And I look forward to hearing about your fun schooling this year.

I am a sucker for experiments and hands on stuff...so you have to share pics of those.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search