Awards...Trophies!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2007, 11:00 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
I kinda copied and moved my own post here, but this is something I wanted to share...

I told a story in another thread about a guy I dated in highschool failing out of college because he had always been the best and suddenly he wasn't...he had to study *God Forbid*. And he was really smart - made all A's effortlessly all his life, 32 on his ACT, Valedictorian, etc etc etc. Dropped out his first year of college and became a drug addict until his first child was born in 2003. Then he got it together, studied, and finally graduated college - with all A's of course. LOL

N - E - WAY!! My oldest son is in PS because he loves it and is thriving and utterly refuses to let me homeschool him. He knows Scotty is homeschooling and he keeps telling me "but mommy, I have to go to regular school so I can win my awards!" The last two years, he has won more trophies and medals than I can count for his academic excellence. I think that is great...BUT knowing what I know about my highschool sweetheart....here is my thinking ..... I am going to get trophies for my Scotty at the end of the year - "hard worker," "best homeschooled boy on earth"...LOL If awards motivate kids, then awards they will get. But I am not going to base it on him Being the best....just so long as he is DOING his best! Hopefully, Bryce will see these awards and decided...hey...homeschooling is cool too! Oh, a girl can dream, can't she???
May 22nd, 2007, 02:09 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Very sore subject for me. As you know, my three started out in public school. Let me just say that they award and trophy them to death. The sad thing is that it is always the ones who are gifted and don't even have to try hard that end up getting the stuff. So, basically, they got rewarded over and over because God blessed them with being gifted. That's not to say that none of them had to study any or that they weren't good students. My complaint wasn't that they did get rewarded, but that those who actually had to work hard for their grades and still might not have gotten A's never got rewarded. It was like handing a trophy or reward to a child and saying, "Here, this is because God blessed you with beauty." So, the whole reward thing in the public school is a sore subject for me. I even wrote a letter once to the principal explaining how, when they give a reward for something that EVERY child should have an equal chance to acheive it....they didn't listen...just kept giving them to the same kids that always got them. VERY FRUSTRATING....very!!!
It will be done in the right way if you do what you said you were going to do. I think it will be GREAT for your homeschooled child to see that he can get them too...you go girl!!!!!!!
May 22nd, 2007, 02:41 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I find it really sad that they give so many awards and trophies in public school. It makes school about the award and not about the learning.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 22nd, 2007, 03:12 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
The one award that Bryce got this year that I am really proud of is his perfect attendance. He was there every single day - never missed a beat. And not because I was mean and made him go...but because he was 1. lucky and never got sick enough to miss and 2. he loves school so much he wanted to be there! That is one award I am so proud of him for.

The other awards are fluff. He had all 4's all year long. That means he mastered the areas of competency for a child his age - and not that he had straight A's because he worked hard. He also won a medal for accelerated reading - meaning he can read better than some kids. We live in a VERY POOR area where a lot of the kids in ps here are lucky they are there because that means they get to EAT! I am not kidding. To think that these kids are going to excel at reading is absurd when probably the first book they ever saw was in Kindergarten! It isn't fair. The kids love it - but I would so much rather they spend time teaching and not so much time rewarding in individual merit - at least not in 2nd grade!

Oh - and I was telling dh yesterday...I worked briefly in the school system on a volunteer basis and doing service learning projects for AmeriCorps. In that brief time, I did tutoring. Now, someome tell me how everyone can say "homeschooling doesn't give them the opportunities they have in ps, etc." But when a kid needs help, when they are struggling hard to learn, what happens??? They call in someone to work ONE ON ONE with that student. IMO, that is just case closed for homeschooling. There is no better way of learning than one on one and even the ps recognizes that!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search