would magic tree house be to hard?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 23rd, 2007, 02:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Miguel's a kid that doesn't feel he can read or do math. We did a reading test and he score 5.2. Then later I had him take a different one later (this one included writing and spelling and it put him at first grade) I want to give him things that he can do with ease to build his confident. Do you think magic tree house would be to hard?

May 23rd, 2007, 06:12 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Probably not. They are pretty easy and I've found if they catch a kid's attention they'll stretch to read them. You may want to read the first one to him or have him listen to it on audiobook to see if he likes them. Some kids don't and if it is the slightest bit too hard and he doesn't like them it can make him less likely to want to read.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 23rd, 2007, 08:53 AM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
How much reading experience does he have? My concern would be that they're chapter books and some kids aren't familiar with the concept of chapters and get frustrated that the book is "too long." The Magic Tree House series is usually considered a 3rd-4th grade level.

At www.bookadventure.com you can choose books for him to read based on grade level, then set up a reward plan where when he get X points, he gets something fun. We like that site a lot, but have taken a break from it recently because if the book is above a 2nd grade level, they require 90% comprehension to get points. My 6 year old is reading 4th grade books and getting a 80% of the questions right, but then getting really frustrated because he doesn't get any points. We'll probably go back to it in a few months, when he's getting more out of his reading.
May 23rd, 2007, 09:15 AM
Stellaluna's Avatar Super Mommy
The reading level on the books themselves place them at the 2nd grade reading level as does their Lexile mark (170 and the 2nd grade range is 140 to 500).

Most kids around here read them in 1st to 2nd grade so I figured that between those three things they could be placed pretty solidly at a 2nd grade level .

Sam can read them fairly easily and like Heather said they're high interest so kids really want to read them.

The best way to find out is to pick one up and have him read. If he struggles with more than three or four words per page he might not be quite ready yet. What types of books has he been reading lately? That should give you an idea of whether he's ready for them as well.

As for getting an accurate reference point for where your son's reading level is at I've found this test to be reliable. It does cost $20.00 to take but it's very comprehensive and thorough.

http://www.letsgolearn.com/

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">Homeschooling Mom to Sam (3-21-02)

My Photography Website

My Blog - Pollywog in a Blog</span>
May 23rd, 2007, 11:24 AM
Quote:
The Magic Tree House series is usually considered a 3rd-4th grade level.[/b]
According to the RL note on the backs of the books they are in the 2nd grade year level.

Stellaluna reminded me of a sign in our local library. It's the five finger approach. It says to have your child read a page in their book and put up a finger for each word they can't read. 0 fingers means it is too easy (but doesn't mean they should never read extremely easy books of course!). 1-2 were good, but still easy enough. 3-4 means it is challenging, but still okay if the kid isn't frustrated by it. 5 or more fingers means it is hard and will likely be too frustrating and it is advised to pick out another book.

Smaller on the Outside

May 23rd, 2007, 11:46 AM
Veteran
Maybe its MTH that's 2nd and Hank the Cowdog that's 3rd or 4th. Regardless, they would definitely be advanced for an "average" 4 year old.

The 5 finger approach is what we use when Samuel's choosing books to read on his own. It works fairly well but isn't 100% reliable.
May 23rd, 2007, 11:54 AM
That is very true. I wouldn't recommend MTH for an average 4 year old. However, Miguel is not average at all. He's advanced. Ani was reading the MTH books at Miguel's age.

Smaller on the Outside

May 23rd, 2007, 01:26 PM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have you done this assessment? It was pretty good.

Reading assessment test

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

May 23rd, 2007, 03:46 PM
Veteran
Quote:
That is very true. I wouldn't recommend MTH for an average 4 year old. However, Miguel is not average at all. He's advanced. Ani was reading the MTH books at Miguel's age.[/b]
Yep, that's why I qualified it with average. I'm not saying her son is average. She asked if they'd be good books for a 4 year old who is testing advances who doesn't like to read. Well, I don't know, but I can say they're too much for the average 4 year old and someone not used to chapters might not like them. So I'm gonna bow out of this discussion now.
May 23rd, 2007, 08:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
see I'd have to order it to be delivered and convince him that it's the next in "starfall series". However with the games we play he reads graciously, squashed, astonish without even wincing but give him a page that doesn't say starfall and he can't read even if it's a word like we. I know it's wrong to lie but that's the only way he'll read anything other then starfall is if we convince him it is. I would only have him do a chapter a day the books he reads now are 68 pages and he finishes them in less then 10 min. I'll post his scores from the the assessment that Sharon gave. I'll take him to the library tomorrow to do the five finger approach I've never heard of it. So two and three is on level right?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search