School Room!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 23rd, 2007, 06:50 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
Today was Scotty's very first day of homeschooling!!! I am so excited. We learned all about the capital letter A. He traced some, wrote some, picked them out of his blocks, one of his puzzles, and a magazine. We talked about apples, astronauts, alligators, you know the drill. I also took pictures of him and had him make a big A for our refrigerator. We are going to do a letter a day until he starts to forget some and then we will go back and review at his pace.

Anyway, in doing our first day of school, I learned I need a homeschooling room! I am sure most of you have a place where you designate homeschool activities too! I want to do it here in my office so we can do computer games some days as well. I have a big bed in here right now, but I will be moving it out and hopefully I can find a little wooden round table with chairs to put in here...a kid sized will do for this age. I know I will need storage and I want to get kid friendly buckets and such. We already have a small chalkboard and dry erase board, and I am sure he will enjoy using that as well.

So my question is...can I see pics of some of your rooms?? I'd love to get some ideas from the experts.
May 23rd, 2007, 07:47 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
When we first started homeschooling I wanted a room or space, too. As time has gone on I've changed my mind. When we moved here I was all excited because the rec room could be a combination homeschool room/playroom. In the end we've discovered we like doing school at the dining room table best. We keep the books in part of the bookcase that is part of the entertainment center.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 23rd, 2007, 08:11 AM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
We don't have a schoolroom either. We have some educational things scattered all over the house, actually. Samuel has a full wall map mural in his bedroom and we use that. I have a globe that I can pull out when needed. We have a bookshelf near the computer dedicated to school books and there are drawers in the dresser in the living room that hold games, craft supplies, glue, scissors and construction paper.

I'm working on getting the 4th bedroom converted into a more kid-friendly space, but still not a school room. I'm hoping I'll be able to find some shelves to store the craft supplies in a more organized fashion for them and I intend to put up our current educational aids on the walls in there, like the flag poster I got from dollar tree and the map that we'll use to document our explorations this year. They still won't be "educational aids" though, they'll be more like kid friendly decor. I'm really big on NOT having a classroom in my home. That's why I homeschool: so my kids learn at home. We like to do our work at the dining room table or at the kitchen island. That way I can do things that need to be done (dishes, laundry, etc) while still supervising the schoolwork and being there to answer questions/provide help.
May 23rd, 2007, 08:32 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
I am a type A personality. LOL I want everything in one place all neat and orderly - I have this vision of a little classroom looking place in my office. Am I being unrealistic???
May 23rd, 2007, 10:20 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Probably lol But that's okay. Some people DO have schoolrooms and it works great. I've found that most don't. It's whatever works. I've also noticed new homeschoolers are much more likely to have a school at home vision and over time it just evolves to not being so school-ish.

Like Charlotte, we have educational stuff all over. It's just the school books that are in the bookcase (the entertainment center is in the dining room right next to the table, by the way, so they are extremely convenient to where we do school). I want the other educational things where the kids are so they can play with them whenever. I want them to know that learning doesn't happen in a vacuum (or a building or a room) but instead happens wherever and whenever and never really stops. We have a US and a world map on our living room wall at kid level, for example. It's not uncommon to find Ani "teaching" an invisible class about the states and capitals or the countries in Africa or whatever. Even the baby likes to stand in front of it and look at all the colors.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 23rd, 2007, 11:41 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
We didn't have a specific room for stuff and it drove me nuts ( type A also..plus very OCD).. so last month we took the 5th bedroom and made it an office/"school" room. We dont DO school in here that much but I do have a small table for the wee ones and the computer desk for Noah to use. Having 3 kids 5 and under and one pre-teen I needed a place Noah can come and do work in peace. We don't have a dinning room so most work was/is done at the kitchen table..but seeing that our playroom is OFF the kitchen it can get rather rowdy..so when needed we move in here! I also doa lot of work for my MIL's dance studio so having a space I can calmly do that has helped a LOT! I like having all ( or most) of my school stuff in one room.. I have 3 kids I am currently educating and my 7th/8th grader has a lot of bigger books..lol
The computer area

My craft closet and book shelf with the tad poles

Another bookcase/file cabinet and the hamster:

There is also a closet I have another file cabinet in and a lot of Noah's stuff!
May 23rd, 2007, 01:00 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Type A and OCD over here too! LOL We have a large home, but all the space we have is being accounted for. HOWEVER, that is going to change today. I do have a classroom in mind...but mostly because I want a place where Scotty can come if he wants some peace and quiet to work in...or even if he just wants to get out his ABC puzzles and work on them. I also want a place for our activity board and for review.

LOL Now that I think of it, I think I want it in the room more because I dont want it spread out everywhere! LOL I want Scotty to have a space, but really I just want everything in one space. Thanks for the pics. I will let you all know if, in a few years, I end up a type B personality with school stuff in lots of different places! It just may happen one day!

Charlotte - I just realized your underlined words were pictures. What an AMAZING map in your son's room! I love your home as well. So pretty!
May 23rd, 2007, 01:21 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here's a couple of ours.

May 23rd, 2007, 01:56 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Lovely room as well. I have a vision of something that grows with Scotty too - right now I want the alphabet on the wall. Later, though, I want a big map - I am just so excited...all the possibilities! Thank you all for sharing your rooms.

Alison - I love the colors in your room...and you look sooooo organized!!
May 23rd, 2007, 02:23 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
and you look sooooo organized!![/b]
Alison IS so orginized!!! makes us type B sloppies sick! Just kidding! Her school room looks great.

Charmie I love the wall map in your sons room. Awsome!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 23rd, 2007, 02:53 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
Our big map was $99 plus shipping, I think from www.murals.com or something like that. It was Samuel's 5th birthday present but it was a PAIN to put up.

I'm loving the pictures, BUT, not being a type A person (or being too type A--I can't get it PERFECT, so I don't do it!), I choose not to have a school room. Everyone I know who has a schoolroom has a MESSY schoolroom and I know that would be me. So, I just don't do it. There are certainly times the idea appeals to me, though!!
May 23rd, 2007, 03:08 PM
Gee thanks..lol..Yeas I am organized..to a fault..believe me it's really not a trait I like about myself at times..lol The colors are actually because it was Taejan's nursey..lol..that's Mickey Mouse yellow and red..lol.. before that it was Space blue when it was Noah's room..then it was the red/yellow with that blue stripe and Pokemon stuff when it was Declan's room..lol..
May 23rd, 2007, 09:26 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Well gee, Jadziah (beautiful Name BTW) was the only one left out of the fun of having that room, huh??! LOL

I understand the organization thing. I thrive when things are neat and clean and orderly. Clutter and mess depress me! Literally - I get depressed.

I did his school room tonight - the best I could without a big trip to walmart. I have SO MUCH MORE TO DO. I need a real school table and this bed has to go! I also want a border of the alphabet and numbers to put up on the wall for him to see. But here it is for now.

May 24th, 2007, 04:30 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
That looks awesome!!

All day yesterday I thought, "I've got to get in there and get some pics of our schoolroom!!" and then I didn't get a chance to do it. I'll get some today, even though you're done and don't need any more ideas!

We have a teeny, tiny house, but we're blessed because our diningroom happens to be smack-dab in the middle of it and made for a perfect school room. Even though it's in the middle, it's kind of closed off from the rest of the house (it actually used to be a bedroom!) so if it's messy I don't have to stress out about it affecting how the rest of the house looks.

We need a specific place to have school because Reilly's the type-A personality that needs the structure and continuity!! Plus I do like having everything contained in one room.

I'll post some pics later. I love our schoolroom!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

May 24th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, Lisa, you do have a cool school room. You should post pics.
We have started doing a lot of our work at the dining table because, as you can see, the white on in our school/play room is a bit small. It seemed fine last year, but doesn't seem to be quite big enough now. There are still times when one or two will be in one room while the other is in the school room....or dining room. I just let them get where they are the most comfortable. We do all of our Science, History, and Social Studies in the school room.
Post some pics.
May 24th, 2007, 07:55 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
Can't wait to see your pics!! I can always use some new ideas. I am really frustrated about the table situation. I want something so much better than a folding card table and my office chair!!
May 24th, 2007, 09:39 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
We don't have a room. We have school at the kitchen table and on the couch. We store books in a bookcase with a door on it, and art supplies in a metal "crate" shelving system.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
May 25th, 2007, 04:03 AM
OK, here are the pics that I took yesterday!

Yes, the cat is sitting on the table. That's where his food is...it's the only place where the dogs can't get to it to eat it! Spoiled cat!

In case it seems confusing, the pics basically progress clockwise around the room. The thing I like most is that the table where we do 99% of our work is actually our diningroom table, so we can just clear it off and move it into the center for a holiday meal if we need to! The funniest thing about Reilly sitting at that little desk is that that was the first time all year she's sat there to do any schoolwork! Usually she's at the diningroom table, farthest chair on the right.

May 25th, 2007, 04:04 AM
I love your room !!!
May 25th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Awww, thanks! I like how it turned out! It's certainly "school-y"!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search