Good Morning!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 24th, 2007, 04:59 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Good Thursday monring all!

How is everyone? What's up for today?
We are heading to a local creek to play and hang out and picnic with some friends.. then we have guitar lessons. At some point Noah is going to begin researching head injuries due to no helmet being worn and do a small report. I caught him without his on yesterday when he was with his friends. Given his seizure disorder I am less than pleased to say the least... I know he just wanted to be "cool" and what not because only one of his friends wears a helmet too...but I am dissapointed in him that he would even take a chance knowing what it could do to him! SO we will embark on a graphic lesson and maybe by the end he will really understand why helmets are so important!

I hope everyone has a GREAT day!
May 24th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
It drives me crazy when kids don't wear helmets. Cameron, at 5, is already trying to get me to let him go helmet-less because [insert name of every kid he knows it seems] doesn't wear a helmet when they are on their scooter or bike. One of the little almost 10 year olds I teach at church had a scooter accident and she ended up pretty skinned up and bloody but her head was fine even though it hit the ground pretty hard because she was wearing a helmet. I hate to think what would have happened to her if she hadn't been wearing her helmet.

Today we are just hanging around the house. Jamie has class tonight so he won't be home until after 10. We're still off school since Ani's still in FL. I'm still trying to get rid of this stupid cold. It's a lot better, but not gone yet.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 24th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am very guilty of not enforcing the helmets. Mine have never worn them on their bikes, but they only ride them around the yard. What I feel guilty about is not enforcing it with Madison's new scooter. I should have been more consistent to begin with. I know what a head injury looks like, and it is not pretty. "sigh" Thanks for giving me something to think about.
We are having our last day of school here today. Carter has a game tonight.
Have a great day.
May 24th, 2007, 06:01 AM
We are in process of building a half Pipe for Noah and we already told all his friends..no helmets and elbow/knee pads no using the half pipe..period. I am glad I have the little extra ammo of Noah's seizures on my side..but still I am very vigilant about helmets.. I even make the kids wear them when they ride those Little Tykes cars down my hill..lol.. just not a chance I will take..kwim?
May 24th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow, I'm guilty of not enforcing the helmets as well. Eathan only rides his bike in our yard too, but when we go to the park or something he has to wear it. In FL it is a law for minors to wear a helmet, which I think is crazy b/c people who drive motorcycles don't have to wear one. I guess I need to start being more strict about his helmet. He only has one head, right?

May 24th, 2007, 10:05 AM
We have the law here too.. as for just ebing in the yard..well they can fall there too and esp in kids the weirdiest knock can cause so much damage.. we still don't know why Noah has seizures so for us it's a double whammy.
May 24th, 2007, 10:23 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
We did school this morning - continued writing our A's, working on the number 1, and we had a TON of fun coloring and gluing some cows as we sang Old McDonald. Then a friend dropped by - another homeschooling momma (with 5 kids!) whom I hadn't seen in a long time. She and I had a good visit. As soon as I shower *eek* I am going to go to town and find a nice, kid friendly table cloth for this sad little card table! LOL Then it is off to dinner with my husband tonight while the kiddies stay with grandma! Fun time.

We don't wear a helmet either. We used to and I just let it go. I will get the kids one tonight when I am at wal-mart. You are so right about the safety and it is amazing with how diligent and obsessive I am about my kids health and safety, that I let this go by the way side.
May 24th, 2007, 10:55 AM
I am BEAT.. 2.5 hours at the creek..what fun we had!!! I can't wait till I can blog it..lol

And yeah..I understand..sometimes we let things slide.. fo rme helmets have always been a non issue..you just wear one.. I used to babysit for a Neurologist and the stories I heard...
May 24th, 2007, 02:55 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm with Alison on this, My daughtwer always wears a helmet. No helmet= no bike here. Helmets don't have to be daggy! dd is blue with funny bugs all over it. ds for when he's on dh bike seat is dd old one which is bright pink lol with butterflys! Luckly he dosn't care yet! DD had a small head and we had a heack of a job finding one to fit her at 18 months when we wanted her to go behind dh on the bike seat. We had to hunt up and down to find X small. She didn't fit into the common size of small till she was 4. If they ware it from the start it just becomes something you do, like putting on your seat belt in the car.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 24th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Exactly Jo.. Taejan has been wearing one since last summer. I think each kiddo has 2 in fact.. just in case. Noah has to wear his on his bike, roller blades, scooter, skateboard..whatever. All the kids do.. I get upset when I see kids wearing them and their parents aren't..that saddens me..and when people wear them and the chin is too loose or not even strapped on..what good is it going to do??
May 24th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Ani's a hot pink Baby Bratz and Cameron's is bright red Power Rangers SPD.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 24th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Cameron and Declan must have the same one.. plus Declan has a skater style Cars one!
May 28th, 2007, 02:08 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
and when people wear them and the chin is too loose or not even strapped on..what good is it going to do??[/b]
Oh yes, seeing that annoys me no end!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search