I'm so mean....

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 24th, 2007, 02:19 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I decided I'm putting the kids through summer school. Aren't I mean!? We are just way behind in math compared to what I think they are capable of. It has been almost a year since our move to the UP and seven months since we bought the house, so I can't really use the move as an excuse anymore. I still plan to unschool for the most part, but they are just not picking up the math that they should be. So I've got 12 weeks of summer school planned, then I'll feel okay taking off again when the baby comes. Considering we get like 17 hours of daylight in the summer, they won't miss out on outside time at all. Don't feel too bad for them.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 24th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
yeah with 17 hours they can spare an hour or two. . When are you due?

May 24th, 2007, 02:30 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Well if you're mean then so am I ..we are/will do school all summer!
May 24th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yep! Add me to the meanies list! We're doing school all summer until our baby comes too!

May 24th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We're really just starting with our school, so I guess until Eathan learns the seasons, he will survive.

I'm sure your kiddos can spare a couple of hours with 17 daylight hours.

May 24th, 2007, 03:26 PM
LOL.. yup..heck mine know the seasons and I still don't want them to ever stop learning..we will change our style based on weather but we will not stop..lol
May 24th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When we are for real in "school" I think we will go year round and take breaks whenever we want. I think I like that better than hot and heavy for a while and 3 mos off. It would be hard for me to start back with that long of a break.

May 24th, 2007, 03:36 PM
I could say that we've always done school year-round... or I could say that we don't "do school" year-round. It kinda depends on how you classify unschooling. It was just an eye-opener for me to realize that if we had stayed with the public school model, Robert would be in middle school. It just doesn't seem possible that the child will be old enough to drive in a little more than four years!!

Baby is due September 22nd.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 24th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
My kids will be in school straight through the summer so add me to the meanie list.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 24th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Yeppie..I am not the only MEAN mommy!lol
May 24th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Stellaluna's Avatar Super Mommy
What a bunch of meanies!

We're taking the summer off. I think I need the break and time to recharge more than he does though .

We'll keep up with reading over the summer of course but around here summer days are for swimming, playing outside with friends and good ol' lazy summer relaxing.

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">Homeschooling Mom to Sam (3-21-02)

My Photography Website

My Blog - Pollywog in a Blog</span>
May 24th, 2007, 05:05 PM
LOL..well we have lots of the lazy fun days too.. a good part of our learnign will be unschooling over the summer..but 2-3 days a week Noah will spend an hour and Declan 30 min doing formal stuff.. of course thats not right now..right now I am geting MY work done so it's leaving little time for theirs..lol
May 24th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Well, it looks like we will be in good company. I think it actually helps all of us to maintain our same routines, even when those routines haven't involved formal school work. But the days we "do school" go much more smoothly for some reason.

May 24th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Yup... i have zero desire to have to spend weeks reviewing because we took a long break..no thanks..lol Routines are key around here..however loose they can be at times.lol
May 24th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Our days go way better if we do school. And even better if I actually feed my kids breakfast before like 10. And even better still if we do Childrens Miracle Music in the morning. I think Ani needs structure. That's hard for me because I am so bad at structure and routines because after a couple days I forget what the routine was that I made up.

Smaller on the Outside

May 24th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
That's hard for me because I am so bad at structure and routines because after a couple days I forget what the routine was that I made up.[/b]
That is SO me!!

Thankfully though my boys are go with the flow type personalities, so we do Ok. I just wish I could give them a little more routine.

May 24th, 2007, 07:15 PM
I my case, I love writing out routines. I'm a total "list" person! The hard part is sticking with it... Funny how the more work the kids get done, the more tired I am at the end of the day!

May 25th, 2007, 03:42 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
You big meanies!! I can't believe you're doing that to your kids!
Just kidding!

We're taking the summer off, but I've already talked to Reilly about how we will be doing some math here and there, as well as reading. Our library has the Summer Reading Program where , if the kids visit the library 4 times and read 8 books and they get a coupon book for free things (zoo admission, cinnamon sticks at Mazzios, things like that) and a medal. If they read 12 books they also get an extra prize...this year it's a stuffed bison! The great thing is that Declan can participate because it does count if I read the books to him, but this year I told Reilly that she was going to have to read the books herself...bwahahaha! Heck, the thing is we read so much that we could be done in three weeks!

We're definitely taking two weeks completely off, though!! WOO HOO!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

May 25th, 2007, 05:17 AM
The summer reading program here is kind of a joke for us since we read so much, too. Yesterday I read 5 books plus Ranger Rick Magazine to Cameron and Fritz has these 6 books that he wants me to read to him at least once a day. But we're still going to do it because it'll be fun. They haven't released the details yet last time I checked. It starts 6/18 and has a VA history (since we're officially 400 years old now!) theme.

Smaller on the Outside

May 25th, 2007, 07:34 AM
I remember loving the summer reading program as a kid... but you could only write down like two books the first week, three books the next week, etc. It was too easy!

The kids are participating in a program that is regional where they get an entry for a drawing for each book read. The prize is a bike. I'm not sure if there is one bike to give away, or more than one. But after hearing that, the children checked out a total of 52 books from the library! We cleaned 'em out!

The program for our local library should be starting up soon, too. I love the library!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search