Bunch of Overgrown Kids!!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 24th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's what 75% of those dads and coaches are at the baseball field. Dealing with them is worse than dealing with a room full of Kindergartners. I will add that Jeff is in the other 25%......thank God. It is a shameful thing the way those "men" act!!!!!!!!!
May 24th, 2007, 08:05 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
LOL! Now I'm DYING to know what made you say that!!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

May 25th, 2007, 03:58 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Ditto..and I remember all too well from Noah's sports days the parents...ugh.. Declan starts team sports this fall and I am above all NOT looking forward to dealing with the parents!
May 25th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Me, too... I've heard that what you say is very true and pretty much universal in the world of sports. That's one reason why the gym we take our kids to has a strict "no coaching from the observation deck" rule. If they think you are coaching from the waiting area they will ask you to leave and come back after the class is over. And that's just for regular classes, not gymnastics meets. I've noticed that there are some moms (since in gymnastics it's usually the moms) who are the "stage mom" sort. Their child, no matter how talented, is always the best and they will consistently put down other kids to "prove" it. It's really crazy.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 25th, 2007, 05:18 AM
The Ballet world is no different.. parents are insane. Yes i love my kids and IMO they are the bestest...BUT I have a firm grasp of reality and know they are not perfect. People..parents of today really need to get that message. We were just talking about how too many parents are helicopter parents..
May 25th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It's really sad b/c in all reality it is FOR THE KIDS!! Those type of parents get in the way of that and take out the fun.

May 25th, 2007, 06:25 AM
It's too bad that it seems the majority of parents are like that..and it gets worse each year. We have parents yelling at my MIL if their kid is in the back row on stage.well SOMEONE has to be..and she rotates them during the dance!!
May 25th, 2007, 07:23 AM
You are right that it is really sad because it's all about the kids. My cousin used to carpool with another girl to the gym. They are high level competitors so they are there 40+ hours a week plus competitions around the country. The other girl - who was 10 - revealed that if she didn't do well in competition her father - a local minister! - would beat her. She always had unexplained bruises. Well, that explained it. At competitions the girls are always bragging about what their parents are going to buy them if they win. New gym bags, new leotards, etc. Carleigh (my cousin) won one competition and the other girls were saying what they would have gotten and asked Carleigh what she'd be getting and she said "I don't know. I guess I'm gonna get some pie!" They had a pie in the freezer and she would have gotten it regardless but she felt like she had to come up with something to get. Carleigh won a regional competition recently and she was excited about the stuff winning the competition got her (warm up suit and a couple other things), but her parents said good job and that's it. It seems strange that so many parents are basically bribing their kids. Carleigh's out there competing because she really truly enjoys it.

Smaller on the Outside

May 25th, 2007, 07:40 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
This is why I just can't bring myself to put the children in sports. Forget the fact that it is ridiculously expensive and time consuming... I just don't think that type of pressure and environment does the children any good.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 25th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Me, too... I've heard that what you say is very true and pretty much universal in the world of sports. That's one reason why the gym we take our kids to has a strict "no coaching from the observation deck" rule. If they think you are coaching from the waiting area they will ask you to leave and come back after the class is over. And that's just for regular classes, not gymnastics meets. I've noticed that there are some moms (since in gymnastics it's usually the moms) who are the "stage mom" sort. Their child, no matter how talented, is always the best and they will consistently put down other kids to "prove" it. It's really crazy.[/b]
Yep, I lost a good friend over that. She was constantly putting down Madison to make her own daughter look better in gymnastics. I took it and took it until one day she said, "Lauren is the best one on level 2." Well, I had had enough and finally spoke up and said, "Well, Joyce, I beg to differ." I told her that most moms thought the very same thing about their own child. Let me just say that it didn't go over well. Then, it was over for good when we went to our first meet and Madison did better than Lauren.....quite a slap in the face for her mom. Can you believe that she wouldn't speak to me after that.
As for me, I tried to never compliment my own child without pointing out the strengths of the other girls too. I just get sick of parents. I'm not saying that I am perfect..not at all....but I don't try to build myself or my children up by cutting others down.
"sigh"
May 25th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Yeah. That's part of the reason we chose to keep Cameron in the recreational program even though he was invited to join the competitive program. Ridiculously expensive (we pay $14.75 per week currently which is one hour a week; developmental pre-competitive team is 4 hours a week and would cost $45 a week; competitive team runs as high as $200 a week depending on level) and the environment can be crazy. I'm glad Carleigh seems to have a good view of it. She goes out and does her best and she wins sometimes and she loses sometimes but she always has lots of fun. I think she may win a lot partly because she doesn't care if she does or doesn't and her parents aren't pressuring her to win either. I'm very happy with our one hour per week at the gym just for fun, socialization (including for me lol), and exercise.

Smaller on the Outside

May 25th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Yep, competitive gymnastics is very expensive...time and moneywise. We used to pay, if I remember correctly, 145.00 per month. Then, she would have at least one meet a month for about 6 months out of the year. With the hotels, coaches fees, etc., those meets could run as much as 250.00-300.00.
Now, she is in a gym one day a week for $45.00 a month . She does, however, miss competing. It was her choice to stop, but I think she sometimes regrets it.
May 25th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Yep, I lost a good friend over that. She was constantly putting down Madison to make her own daughter look better in gymnastics. I took it and took it until one day she said, "Lauren is the best one on level 2." Well, I had had enough and finally spoke up and said, "Well, Joyce, I beg to differ." I told her that most moms thought the very same thing about their own child. Let me just say that it didn't go over well. Then, it was over for good when we went to our first meet and Madison did better than Lauren.....quite a slap in the face for her mom. Can you believe that she wouldn't speak to me after that.
As for me, I tried to never compliment my own child without pointing out the strengths of the other girls too. I just get sick of parents. I'm not saying that I am perfect..not at all....but I don't try to build myself or my children up by cutting others down.
"sigh"[/b]
How AWFUL! I'm like you. I point out all the kids' stengths to my kids. With gymastics there's just so many different things that of course kids will be better at some things than others. There are four boys in Cameron's class and Cameron actually is the best in his class and I'm not just saying that because he's my kid. It's more a matter of he should have moved out of that class (level 1+2) 3 months ago. We kept him in there because he has to change coaches when he moves up and we really really like his coach. Plus we'd have to move to a different time for class. And we felt he needed more time to learn the lingo and get to know the equipment better. His coach really works with the boys on whatever level they are so he's definitely not being held back by staying in that class. He'll move up in the fall since all the classes change then anyway. However, even though Cameron is the best overall there are things the other boys are better at and I point those out to Cameron and the other moms. Cameron honestly doesn't know he's at a higher level than the other boys. It might be a boy thing, but he just plain doesn't notice. All of us moms cheer on our boys and it doesn't matter whose kid did it, we are happy they did a good job at whatever they did. Ani's average in her class and we talk about how so and so is really good at beam and so and so is really good on vault and all. Ani's strongest point is bars. It's been a great learning experience for her to see how different people have different strengths. It's one thing I really like about our gym. The classes are dual level combined (1+2, 2+3, 3+4, etc.) so the kids are sometimes at the top and sometimes at the bottom. Sometimes they are helping others improve and sometimes they are the ones being helped to improve.

Smaller on the Outside

May 25th, 2007, 11:51 AM
twiggybumble
Quote:
This is why I just can't bring myself to put the children in sports. Forget the fact that it is ridiculously expensive and time consuming... I just don't think that type of pressure and environment does the children any good. [/b]

I agree. My son plays basketball at the Community Center, but its a very loose scene. He doesn't get constantly compared to the other children, and the parents are relaxed.
May 25th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Yup.. When Declan decides he wants to play sports ( he is a natural athlete ) he will only be allowed to play for our local Y which is non competitive and coaches or parents who are found to be keeping score or cutting the kids down are removed!

As for ballet.. I truely hope Jadziah doesn't want to be a ballerina..BUT even my evil MIL said of the 3 grand daughters Jadziah has the most natural ability..and she has not even taken a single class yet! Sigh

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search