New and Overwhelmed...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 25th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Regular
Hey there...

I'm new to this site and to homeschooling...our oldest will be five this summer and so we're getting ready to start kindergarten with him. I just have no idea what or where to be...

I would love any suggestions you guys might have!

Thanks,
~Annie
May 25th, 2007, 10:46 AM
willischomp's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to willischomp
Hi there and welcome!! I have a child starting K this year too. We just started homeschooling the two oldest this past winter. I don't have any suggestions but I know these ladies will!! Good luck getting started!
May 25th, 2007, 11:09 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Hi, Annie! First, it is normal to be completely overwhelmed at this point. I remember when I first started looking into hs'ing I was on complete information overload!

What has your son been doing up until now? If he has been at home with you, then you probably are already doing a lot of activities that most parents would continue through kindergarten. If he has been at daycare/preschool then you might have some "deprogramming" to do, and then just figure out what he already knows, and go from there.

Also, we've had lots of discussions about kindergarten ideas, and there are two subforums with ideas for projects and links as well. Really, at this point, all you "have" to do (if you haven't already) is find out about homeschooling laws in your state... you may have paperwork to file by the end of summer depending on where you live. You can go to www.hslda.org for more information on state law.

Again, Welcome!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 3 and John Anthony, born May 24

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

Remember your resolution to lose weight or start working out? Click the blinkie to join us!

May 25th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi! And Welcome!
I read and read and read books to get me started. Rent every book you can from the library- there are books that tell you what they should know by a certain grade and that will help you get started. you can check off the things he already knows, look at the things he still needs help with and then pick activities or books you need to get that done. Really, at this age playing games and things with him will get him going with school. My son loves his computer games as well- check into some reader rabbit games. Some days when my son won't do school, he'll still do his computer games which are all educational...so I still win! haha! Also there is a free study dog game that DS loves!
anyways, here are some links!

A list of things he should know for k:
http://www.worldbook.com/wb/Students...m/kindergarten

Free study dog game:
http://www.famlit.org/site/c.gtJWJdMQIsE/b...apps/s/link.asp

Also, you can get free worksheets at:
http://www.schoolexpress.com
http://www.abcteach.com

There are SOOooo many more links I could bombard you with- but they are all in the stickies!

I hope I helped you and didn't confuse you even more!
Again, welcome to our boards and to homeschooling!

May 25th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Regular
Thanks, Ladies. One of the things we have been considering is one of those places that helps come up with curriculum based on and does all the record keeping for you, as well as diplomas and all that. Of course that's thinking long term. But part of me thought that would make this less overwhelming, know what I mean?

Anyway, lots of stuff to think about for now!

~Annie
May 25th, 2007, 12:05 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Hi! We are also new to homeschooling. I just started pre-K with my youngest.

I also have read every book I cna get my hands on, talked to other homeschooling moms, and joined this board.

One mom told me that she wouldn't bother with curriculum until the actual grades (1st and up) - she suggested the workbooks from wal-mart and a good guide for what they need to know by the end of the year. I have started the preschool book with Scotty and things are going well. That is just a suggestion to save you money in your first year while you learn and get the hang of things and decide if this is really for you or not.

Also, I am a type A personality, and it helps me and my son to have a room where we learn. A lot of the moms here do not have a room, so that is really just up to you. We are so enjoying our school time though. I am actually schooling all the way through the summer because I want to start the Kindergarten learning when he is around 4 and a half. I can already tell that homeschool is going to put us ahead of the game!

Also, ask questions!! I have learned so much from the other homeschool moms here and the ones I know in my area. They really have things figured out and can give you tips that no book can give.

Someone told me to start with what your child knows, review that, get an idea of where you need to go and then do it. Also, Scotty tends to get a little bored as we do school so I keep the time to about 30 mins a day of the nitty gritty stuff and then I throw in some cutting and coloring as well. He loves glue so anything we can do with glue is such a plus for him.
May 25th, 2007, 12:10 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
You are probably talking about an "umbrella school." Usually it is a Christian school that keeps your records, comes up with the curriculum, and so on. A lot of folks go that direction. It is a good idea and works well for some. Personally, I have decided against it because I do not want to have to use anyone else's curriculum. I want to come up with my own and do it my own way. For legal reasons and record keeping, umbrella schools are great - most of them keep your records (attendance and grades) on file and will represent you if you ever run into a problem. They also, at least in TN, help parents who do not have a bachelors degree or above, continue to homeschool when their kids are in highschool. Here you can't homeschool after 9th grade unless you have a BA or BS - however, all you have to have with most unbrella schools is a hs education.

Before you do anything, though, I would just get a lot of books and really research your options. Also, look up online the laws for the state you live in. That will help you decide!
May 25th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Regular
well, as far as state laws go...dh is in the military, so that could change at any time...my thinking is we conform to the state with the most strict standards that has an Air Force Base...know what I mean?

I couldn't imagine designing my OWN curriculum, I would definitely be using a curriculum that someone else designed.

I am also very type A - and we're planning to have a little homeschool area/room. I have an idea of things I want to get - like a little table and a couple of chairs. I saw this really cool two sided easel that also is used as a chalkboard on one side and a dry erase board on the other - I really want that - since I've got two boys. Caleb is only three, but I know he'll want to do things too when Elijah is doing them. Of course, those are really my ONLY ideas right now. LOL.

~annie

Of course, the idea of the umbrella school is appealing because one of the things that overwhelms me MOST is that there is SO MUCH curriculum out there...I just don't know where to start.

~annie
May 25th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The curriculum choices are ENDLESS!!! But...if you get a book that discusses learning styles that can help narrow it down- figure out what learning style your son is and choose a type of curriculum that would cater to that. I bought Cathy Duffy's top 100 homeschool curriculum picks because she discusses learning styles and curriculum styles in the beginning. If he's a mover, that could mean unschooling for you, or at least a slightly different approach than you may get with an all in one curriculum by one company. My son thrives on workbooks- much to my dismay- I try to get him out and going but he loves to write things down. Can't be all bad, right?

May 25th, 2007, 01:19 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
I guess I shouldn't have said I would design my own curriculum. LOL But what I want to do is TAILOR it to my and my son's interests. For instance, my son LOVES dinosaurs. Right now, we are learning the craziest things for a preschooler because it is all about dinosaurs. I put dinosurs on the letters, I have them carry letters in their mouth, we count dinosaurs, and so on. What I did was print a copy of what skills are necessary to have at the end of preschool off the website http://www.worldbook.com/wb/Students...m/kindergarten (I selected Kindergarten so you could see on your sons level) and then I will work toward meeting all those goals. When we have met those, I will print the next one and start working on those. As Scotty gets older (1st and 2nd grade) I will use either Son Light, Abecka, or Light Path....but I never intend to follow them 100% - only get ideas and do my own thing.
May 25th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Regular
thanks for that link...that's very helpful to know what they should be doing at what levels.
May 25th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ok...I'll tell you what this group told me when I first joined...RELAX! It is going to be OK. You are taking a step in the right direction. It is a big decision, but definitely something that you can handle. I literally felt like I was spinning in circles and going wacko from being so overwhelmed. It has gotten so much better. I have found that reading as much information as possible is great. I have also gotten a library card and checked out some books on homeschooling. My ds is going to be 4 in July and we are just really getting a feel of how he likes to learn and not doing anything formal. There is a wealth of information in these ladies and they are more than happy to help. Ask away! Oh and did I tell you to RELAX??

May 25th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Welcome! I'm going to echo Tishas relax! You can do this.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 25th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
Regarding the USAF and the laws: I would just do what you need to do for the state you're living in, but make sure that when you move, you change what you need to to conform to the laws of the new state. It would be really unreasonable to expect yourself to do the strictest thing when you're living in a really leniant state (Louisiana, for example!). Take advantage of what the laws are where you are when you can.

I was really overwhelmed with the curriculum choice also, and made some choices that weren't the greatest. But I think that was the best thing I could have done because it let me know that choosing the "wrong" curriculum is NOT the end of the world. We ended up dropping our math entirely this year (kindergarten) and we're going to pick up a new and different program in the fall. And that's okay. We've all survived it. I also learned (the hard way, I guess) what does and doesn't work for ME in regards to curriculum, so it was all good in the end.

Welcome to the adventure!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search