My baby - again

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 25th, 2007, 01:52 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
I am still just so excited. This was Scotty's first day cutting out his own stuff. This is a pic of him pasting his yellow fruits in the yellow basket! LOL I have decided I started wrong with him. I want him to recognize his letters, but he is not ready to write them yet. Right now, we are reviewing colors and shapes as well as learning the letters and what they look like. HOWEVER, I am going to do the prepare to write series with him where he starts with straight lines, then slants, then circles, then half circles. I am excited to go this way instead. He was really getting frustrated with trying to write A's.

Thanks for sharing my joy....

May 25th, 2007, 02:04 PM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My ds, 3.5 today, isn't ready to really start writing letters either. Some kids are at this age and some aren't. But, like you, I think it isn't worth frustrating them to try to make them do something they just really aren't ready for.

He cut those out himself? He did a fabulous job!

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

May 25th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Awww What a cutie!! good job Scotty!

May 25th, 2007, 02:11 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
He sure did!! Nothing would do him but to do it himself. This is really the first time I have let him have scissors - I bought him some fiskars last night. He did beautifully. But I think he is going to be a bit of a type A like me...LOL He accidentally cut a little of the banana and he said, "Oh mommy, I cut the nanna - I am can't do dat again!" LOL
May 25th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Belle is good with scissors now...not great, but good. Ry loves using scissors, but umm..., he isn't so great at it at all. lol. I don't know if it has anything to do with them being lefties or not.

Ask Belle when she was 4 what a diphthong was and she could tell you, but ask her to cut out something super neatly...she would try and probably succeed, but she would struggle.

May 25th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Them being lefties probably has a lot to do with it. Have you gotten left handed scissors for them? That my help. I have just now gotten brave enough to let Eathan have his own scissors and I just let him cut away what he wants out of construction paper. I figure the practice can't hurt.

Scotty did a GREAT job!! Yay!!

May 25th, 2007, 02:53 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Scotty can use both hands to write, cut, etc. Ambidextrus (sp?). But he will favor his right for cutting and does a better job with that hand.

A dipthong. I am not sure I know what that is! LOL
May 25th, 2007, 04:30 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Awww..too cool! When are you 2003 kiddo's birthdays? Jadziah is 10-28
May 25th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Great job! BTW, The Well-Trained Mind has a section where it talks about learning to read and they say to separate reading and writing the letters particularly for the younger ages. That's actually one of their beefs with most learn to read programs. They also require writing. I learned to read when I was 3, but I was not writing until I was 5.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 25th, 2007, 05:20 PM
My 2003 baby's b-day is November 25! He is 3.5 today!!!

Quote:
Them being lefties probably has a lot to do with it. Have you gotten left handed scissors for them? That my help. I have just now gotten brave enough to let Eathan have his own scissors and I just let him cut away what he wants out of construction paper. I figure the practice can't hurt.

Scotty did a GREAT job!! Yay!![/b]
The scissors I have are supposed to be fine for either hand.

Quote:
A dipthong. I am not sure I know what that is! LOL[/b]
lol! I have noticed a lot of adults don't. I was soooooo homeschooled!

A quick def of diphthong is 2 letters that slide together quickly and sound like they make a new sound although they actually maintain their own sounds. But are said so quickly you don't hear their separate sounds. Like ew, au, oy, oi.... She also knows what digraphs, trigraphs, quadrigraphs are...lol! She had a computer game she used to play a lot (when she first turned 4) that she learned some of these on. She is bored with it now.

May 25th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
He looks like he is doing a good job! DD and I were working on her alphabet book today. She has a book that I put together with all of the letters of the alphabet on paper where she can glue pictures she finds that start with that letter. Or she can find little objects like a feather for F. Anyway, she was so cute and got so excited. She would say "Humm,... fish that letter is... F" and then she would try and "find" F. It was fun to watch her get excited about it. I am still reluctant to let her have the scissors because she is stuck on cutting hair.

Oh and I know what a diphthong is because my poor family used them ALL the time. My mom was a speech therapist, but thought it was cute and didn't correct it. My FIL was one too and when I started dating my Dh he used to tease me all the time about it. Thankfully I have stopped because I can't stand to be teased.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

May 25th, 2007, 06:46 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
My 2003 baby was born on September 29th! He was supposed to be born October 12 (my late grandfather's birthday) but was evicted two weeks early! LOL

I should have known what a dipthong was...I was an English major. But I have always been more interested in the writing aspect (thinking, telling a story) than the grammar. My grammar isn't bad at all, but sentence mapping. HA!
May 25th, 2007, 06:57 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
LOL..Jadziah was due in Nov and came over a week early!
May 25th, 2007, 07:06 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
She is a beautiful little girl. I love her blonde piggy tails in your siggy pic.
May 25th, 2007, 07:09 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
What a cute picture!!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

May 25th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
Everyone has told me that boys don't like to write as soon as girls and I've seen it play out in Samuel and his friends. His friends (girls) are all into writing: notes, journals, letters...you name it. Samuel, not so much. He's reading way ahead of them, but just started to write a little more consistently this spring. From my research, 7-8 seems to be the age that boys really get the hang of writing, which is also when their fine motor skills pick up.

I don't know what I'm going to do with Atley. He is ambidextrous also but doesn't really use either hand well. I don't think I'm even going to work with him on holding a crayon or pencil and instead we'll learn letters through finger tracing and such, at least until he's older.
May 25th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Quote:
I should have known what a dipthong was...I was an English major. But I have always been more interested in the writing aspect (thinking, telling a story) than the grammar. My grammar isn't bad at all, but sentence mapping. HA![/b]
I was an English major too! I have a degree in Creative Writing.

May 26th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I know what a dipthong, digraph, etc. is! My older brother is a college professor. He teaches linguistics lol

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 26th, 2007, 12:33 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
My degree is a BA in English with a focus in Technical Communications. Blah blah blah for I write technical manuals. But...that is how I met my hubby. He was an engineer and I was his writer. Well, I was the writer for his company anyway. Now hubby is a Six Sigma blackbelt and has transitioned to a level 3 (six sigma, T-plus, and lean) Manager for the Engineering Dept. More Blah blah blah. But what that means is that he can teach Scotty Math when the time comes. While I have always been a good reader/writer, I can't do math to save my life. All of my finances are on excel because my dh doesn't trust me to add and subtract properly. LOL
May 26th, 2007, 12:47 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
A dipthong is what you English majors wear to the beach.

After a few years, homeschooling can get to be "ho-hum" but your excitment is really quite catching. I enjoy it!! Please keep sharing!

Robert: 19 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 18 months!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search