Beginer

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 27th, 2007, 03:16 PM
~~~Sue~~~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ~~~Sue~~~
I want to include over the summer and for next yr some bible in our studies and this is important to me, but i dont know where to start. I am just getting back into my bible and dont know alot, and what i do know i wouldnt share with the kids because i dont know it well enough. I have begun to read my dd the childrens bible but i want her to learn unlike i did as a child about god from me but i need help... what are some of the starter books i can use to teach her with.... i dont want all my curriculm to be from a christian orginization because i use a charter school and they pay for my books but not christian books. i like the basic math, english, and stuff being seperate but want the religion in our lives and studies as well my child is 9 and my older son who will be here for the summer could really use this as well and he is just about 12 they are 4 & 5 grade... but they dont really have any training prior to this any help would be appreciated!
sue
May 27th, 2007, 03:39 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
My youngest son and I read his Children's bible together. Bryce reads an older version of the Bible on his own and with me. I also have a book called "Mom's Big Activity Book for Buliding Little Characters." It was written by Rebecca Bertolini. I love it because even though it says it is for 3-5 year olds...some of the activities are awesome for older kids.

Example:

Week One - May

Character - Genuine faith

Objective: To understand that faith implies personal committment.

Ask your child to stiffen his body staight as a board and fall backwards. See if he trusts you to catch him. Then explain to him that this is FAITH...believing in somebody so much that you trust Him with your life. Read him Matthew Chapter 6 : God said "If I am attentive to the needs of a mere plant on earth, how much more will I care for you, oh you of little faith."

There are all kinds of neat things in this book - The lessons are short and can be included in a school day or session - and there are crafts, science lessons, etc that all go back to a biblical reference.
May 27th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm getting some bible curriculum from bob jones for this next year- they seem to be really solid and the activities look like a lot of fun- of course, DS is only 4 so I'm not sure what the older grades look like- the whole thing could get expensive though. I would recommend going to a christian bookstore and looking at their sunday school lesson plan books- alot of those lessons and activities can be adapted and used in a homeschool. Usually you can just buy the idea book separate and its not in a all in one package deal that way. You can make your own visuals if you feel the need.

May 27th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Stellaluna's Avatar Super Mommy
I've found "Leading Little Ones to God" and "Egermeirers Bible Storybook" wonderful general resources for kids.

This year I'm ordering a book called "Plants Grown Up":

http://www.doorposts.net/plants.asp

There is also a version for girls titled "Polished Cornerstones" as well:

http://www.doorposts.net/polished.asp

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">Homeschooling Mom to Sam (3-21-02)

My Photography Website

My Blog - Pollywog in a Blog</span>
May 27th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We're reading the Egermeier's Bible and learning the songs on Sing the Word A-Z. At this age between going to church and just reading the Bible I think it is enough.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search