New here and new to homeschooling.

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2007, 06:41 PM
angeleyz's Avatar Veteran
Hi everyone! My name is Angela, mother to Dade (6), Alora & Kylie (4) and Jada (3). This will be my first year homeschooling! I'm so nervous but so excited too! My son will be in first grade and the other three are preschool (borderline kindergarten for the twins). I felt pretty lost and clueless when I first decided to do this but I think I'm figuring things out now. My son is using time4learning but I plan to also use Handwriting Without Tears and a math curriculum (maybe Saxon or Miquon). The other three are using Handwriting Without Tears as well. I don't plan to use any other formal curriculum with them. I have a subscription to abcteach and edhelper so I should be set with worksheets and what-not. I ordered some fun science kits (like sea monkeys and triops and crystals) and I plan to incorporate gardening as well. I have a ton of felt stuff to use and I plan to get some more manipulatives as well.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi to everyone!!! I have been searching like crazy for an ACTIVE homeschooling forum and this one sure looks to be active! I run a parenting site myself but no one there is really into Homeschooling and they don't seem to care much that I'm going to do it. . So I'm so glad I found you all!!!

Dade: 7
Alora & Kylie: 5
Jada: 3

</div><div align="center"><div align='center'>My Personal Blog</div><div align="center">
</div></div>
May 28th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi and welcome! I'm Jenny, I'm currently homeschooling only Xander. He's in kindergarten going into first grade next year. It's so much fun... most of the time. But we have our days sometimes. I'm glad you found us... I can't wait to get to know you!
May 28th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm Tisha. This is our first year as well. I will be doing PreK/K with Eathan who will be 4 in July. It looks like you have a good plan! The ladies here are SUPER nice and FULL of information! Can't wait to get to know you better!

May 28th, 2007, 07:16 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Hi, Angela!! I'm Lisa and our daughter, Reilly, is almost 7 and will be finishing first grade in three days! We also have a son, Declan, who is 4 and who will be "officially" starting preschool next fall. I've done a little bit of school here and there with him, as he's seemed interested, but I intend to be more...intentional.......about it next year.

I noticed you said that you might use Saxon or Miquon math.....you should let us talk you into using Math U See! There are several of us on here who are rabid fans of MUS and we LOVE talking people's ear off about how great it is!!

I'm so glad you're here! This board is just fantastic and all of the ladies on here are great! I look forward to getting to know you!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

May 28th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Welcome! I am Heather and my kids are Ani, 7, Cameron, 5 1/2, and Fritz who is 10 months. We live in northern VA. We use Sonlight and Handwriting Without Tears and Math-U-See. I'm one of those rabid MUS fans lol

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 28th, 2007, 07:21 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
and welcome to the board. I am Jo..lol guess you can see that. I am also the only Aussie on this board. My daughter Sarah is 5 1/2 doing Kindy and ds Daniel is 2 1/2.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 28th, 2007, 07:27 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
Hi! Glad to have you here! We also use HWT. Have you looked into Math U See?

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
May 28th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks for all the warm welcomes! Yes, I've looked into Math U See. If I could get it for cheap somewhere I would love to do it, but I've yet to find it at a reasonable price. Unless perhaps someone here has a first grade set they would sell? (with manipulatives) But I'm guessing yours are all in use right now.

</div><div align="center"><div align='center'>My Personal Blog</div><div align="center">
</div></div>
May 28th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My name is Jessica, mommy to Emily (3) and Lindsey (4 mon). I was homeschooled from 3rd grade all the way through high school. I went on to college and am still attending off and on with raising kids. I loved being homeschooled and really want to provide the same and even better experience for my kids. So excited for you and you will love it. It is really exhilarating to be part of.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

May 28th, 2007, 08:52 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany

I'm Jennifer, and we just finished our sixth year of homeschooling. Next year I'll have four that are old enough to "do school". I hope you like it here!

BTW- what is your website?

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 29th, 2007, 03:32 AM
Quote:

I'm Jennifer, and we just finished our sixth year of homeschooling. Next year I'll have four that are old enough to "do school". I hope you like it here!

BTW- what is your website?[/b]
Its a parenting site so I don't want to spam your board, but I will PM it to you (anyone else interested, I will PM you as well )

Hmmmmm Well it looks like I'm not allowed to use messenger yet.... I'll post it here and if it needs to be removed, that's fine. It's babiesandbellies.com. Thanks!

</div></div>
May 29th, 2007, 04:19 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Several people on here resisted MUS due to cost (myself included) and ended up shelling out the money for it. It is SO worth it! Cameron's in Primer and Ani's done Alpha through Delta and is in Epsilon. In the end if I hadn't avoided MUS for being too expensive I would've saved a lot of money. Funny how that works. I've learned that usually when the resale value is almost as much as the cost new, that tells you it is a good thing. That holds true with MUS.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 29th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi and welcome! I'm Jenn and I have 3 boys: Jack (7 soon to be 8), Jared (5 soon to be 6), and Justin (just turned 4). I started out homeschooling Jack at the end of 1st grade. He's beginning 3rd now. Jared & Justin have been doing pre-k since January. We were planning on taking the summer off, but my boys love homeschooling so much they're begging to continue throughout the summer. We're still breaking for now while I get some plans together, but they can't wait to get started again.
Oh, and add us to the MUS fan club! Jack has always despised math, and honestly didn't do very well at it either. We're about half-way through our first MUS book (started with Beta) and he not only LOVES math now, but he does very well with it! Where he used to fail miserably at math, he now does column addition IN HIS HEAD! It blows my mind! He also loves to sit and make his own math problems FOR FUN. That's something you never would have caught him doing a year ago. I'll be starting Primer with the younger 2 soon. MUS is well worth the money. I could have went with something cheaper, but I don't believe we would have had the same (or even close) results as with MUS.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

May 29th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the comments on MUS. I totally understand the idea of spending more in the long run. I've read a lot of articles where the family went through curriculum after curriculum trying to find the right one. That sounds so expensive and we really don't have a lot of money to be spending on this. But if its as good as you all say then perhaps I'll do it I know ebay had some MUS stuff. Maybe I'll go look again

</div></div>
May 29th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi and welcome to the board. We just finished our first official year of homeschooling and had a great time with it! I have a soon to be 6th/7th grader (man,that sounds so old! where did my baby go?), a 3rd grader, a 4 yr old preschooler, and an almost 2 yr old. I also have a baby due in September.

We used Sonlight last year and will probably use it again in the coming year. I'm also one of the ones this group has brainwashed, er I mean, convinced to use MUS. I just ordered it and my daughter is anxiously awaiting it's arrival. She has been having alot of trouble with Math, so I'm hoping it will help her.

Your plan sounds wonderful. I'm sure you and your kids will have a great time!

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
May 29th, 2007, 09:51 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
Hi! I am Rebecca and I have two boys. Bryce will be 8 in August and Scotty will turn 4 at the end of September. Bryce is in ps (divorced and dad won't let me homeschool) and Scotty just started pre-k learning this summer - so I am new as well. But so far, we have learned so much and also become potty trained! LOL So this has been a good few weeks for us. I am also doing math with Bryce this summer and in exploring my options, I found MUS to be AMAZING! Bryce started multiplication a few days ago and is already doing it with ease *he is really good in math naturally, though.* I know I will go with MUS for sure when Scotty is of age to use it.

This board is VERY active and these women are wonderful! I am sure you will find a wealth of information and knowledge on here. Glad to have you join us!
May 29th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Welcome next year will be my first year with state requirements. We've been homeschooling for a while now.

May 29th, 2007, 12:22 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Quote:
Thanks for the comments on MUS. I totally understand the idea of spending more in the long run. I've read a lot of articles where the family went through curriculum after curriculum trying to find the right one. That sounds so expensive and we really don't have a lot of money to be spending on this. But if its as good as you all say then perhaps I'll do it I know ebay had some MUS stuff. Maybe I'll go look again[/b]
So, do you feel totally battered over the head yet about MUS?
I promise that I won't say anything else about it after I say this one thing....I promise! I was just looking at Saxon and Miquon to compare prices and, honestly, MUS is quite comparable. It's a little more expensive than Miquon and a little less expnsive than Saxon, from what I can tell by the quick search that I did. (The difference was in the $15 to $20 range, it seemed.) I'm one of many who thought it was too expensive and I went through another curriculum (Horizons) that I ended up hating and then I tried just using cheap workbooks and flashcards and that just didn't work...so I basically wasted around $100! Well, long story short, I ended up getting MUS Alpha about 4 months ago and I could not be happier!
Have you looked at the demo from MUS? If not, I really encourage you to order it!

OK, I'm done! I PROMISE!!!!!!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

May 29th, 2007, 01:13 PM
I can get Miquon pretty cheap, that's why I was looking at it (I know of a site that sells it all for like $6/book or something like that). But yeah, compared to Saxon, its a comparable price. But ebay has some pretty darn good deals on complete sets. But I'm watching ebay now for MUS stuff. You ladies are so convincing

</div></div>
May 29th, 2007, 03:06 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I joined up here it was only Heather and I, and maybe one other person who used MUS, now everyone is!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search