What would you guys recommend we do?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 29th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have somewhat of a quandary. I had always decided I wanted to homeschool before I ever had kids. I've been doing stuff with Rachel even though she isn't 5 and K age until July. It's been going great. Mid-month, I had this feeling that I should look into sending her to school this year. I was so torn on what to do because I've been so pro-homeschooling. I figured I'd just look into it and enroll her anyway, and then see how I felt later as time passed, knowing that I can always decide not to send her before school starts or pull her out mid year if it's not going well, or just do the one year. And if all did go well since it's a good school, maybe do up to 1st or 2nd grade, but then homeschool her the rest of the time. Just play it by ear, but I'm sure I don't want her going to school in the later years! It's a year round school she'd be going to, so she'll be starting in July. I was starting to feel against it recently, and things about our stupid school board make me and DH so angry, that sometimes I wonder why I'm supporting this school system by sending my kid to school for a time?! Plus, just feeling sad about giving up homeschooling her, even if just for a year or part of a year. Then, I got her track info that she was assigned to today, and she got the worst track! So, that there gives me that little push to definately not keep her in school long term! I woudn't mind having that schedule for just this year, but don't want each summer getting screwed over either if I let her do 1st and 2nd as well. KWIM?

I guess I'm trying to figure out my flip flopping emotions about it. I'm having a baby in October, and not sure which would be more stressful. Having Rachel in school, and getting her up and ready to go when I'm tired after a long night up with Alyssa feeding her. Or, homeschooling while adjusting to a baby. Don't know if the baby coming is maybe why subconsiously I'm thinking of sending her to school for a time. OR, if maybe God knows that sending her to school for a short time is best for us and then pull her out as things settle down with the new baby and I can juggle homeschooling in. So, maybe the feelings are coming from Him? Ugh! Any advice from any of you BTDT moms that have been in my situation? Would it hurt to put her in, then take her out? Is it difficult? Or is it better to just never put her in school at all for any time?

Although she got the crappy track, it actually works out in my benefit for when I'm due as far as not having to get her off to school. For instance: I'm due Oct 17, and her last day of school before going off track for 3 weeks would be Nov 9. My mom will hopefully be here for 1-2 weeks after the birth, so depending on when the baby comes, my mom will be here to send her off to school if I'm too tired to get up, then mom would go home and I'd have maybe one week on my own to get her to school before she's out for her 3 week break anyway. She'd go back to school Dec 5 until Christmas beak. That's the point I think I'd take her out maybe. Or, after Jan or something. Whatever felt right at the time. Or, is it really not that difficult to homeschool efficiently while having a new baby, and I'm just not knowing what to expect?

Anyway, knowing that situation, what do you BTDT mom's think, or any mom's with an opinion. . . Please! I need input from other homeschoolers, not those who think "a little school will be good for her socially." That's NOT the reason I'm thinking of sending her!
May 29th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm expecting a baby in august and what we're doing is schooling now- year round until the baby comes, and then taking two or three months off. With homeschooling there is so much freedom to work around things like that. Where I fear just putting her in school may seem easy but end up more of a hassle in the long run for you. IE, having to get up to take her or arrange for someone else to take her and pick her up when you're pooped with the baby.

May 29th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I had a baby in July last year. We school year round. We took off a bit of time before his birth just because. We went back to doing school once we had moved which was about 2 or 3 weeks after he was born. I actually found it incredibly easy to do school with a new baby in the house.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 29th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree that if you are planning to homeschool it might be a bigger hassle to put her in and then take her out. And actually seeing so many moms do the whole "run the older child to school, clean house, run errands, go get them, make dinner, do homework" is a LOT harder than homeschooling. You have to remember the unnecessary homework part that will also be very draining, even in kindergarten it might be more work than you may want. I know what you mean with having the feelings to do things. I was feeling this way last year. Course my DD is only 3 so I knew I had time, but I was thinking of even bagging the whole homeschool idea and now I am so glad that isn't my mindset anymore. I had a baby 4 months ago and though my DD is young I have been working on little bits of school with her since last year. I agree that it is easier to do it with a new baby. You will most likely be home more because of the new baby and it will give you a chance to work with your DD on school. If you need a nap, take a quite break with her and sleep. If you didn't get as much done in the day, wait until your husband gets home to pick it up a little.

Anyway, good luck on your decision. It isn't an easy one. Trust me, I know.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

May 29th, 2007, 07:59 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
I would just keep her home. I had my youngest when my oldest and I were doing pre-k work. Now we are doing kindergarten/1st grade with a toddler. Let me tell you the infant was much easier to deal with during school time. nce you get into a groove it is pretty smooth. I definitely didn't envey my girlfriends who were lugging out a baby and a kindergartener every morning this fall. Morning and afternoon too. Yuck. LOL

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
May 29th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
IMO, if you know you want to homeschool her, I wouldn't recommend even starting her in the ps system. I don't know anything about homeschooling with a new baby because I haven't done it. But I did have my oldest in ps when my other boys were 2 & 3. It was such a PAIN having to get everyone up early, fed, & dressed in order to get Jack to school by 8. And then I had to get them up (and usually re-dressed) from the middle of their naps in order to pick him up from school. Then there were field trip or class party days when I had to find someone to keep the younger 2 because bringing them "wasn't allowed". And let's not forget about dragging the little ones out in yucky weather to take the older one to school or pick him up. Those were the days I really wanted to forget about school and just let everyone sleep in and have cozy days at home. Actually I think we did play hooky once or twice on days like that. All that to say, that it seems like it would probably be less of a hassle to just go ahead and keep her home now if you plan on homeschooling anyway in the near future.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

May 29th, 2007, 08:33 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
I would keep her home. When my youngest was born, I stopped sending my oldest to pre-K and finished pre-k with him at home. It was so much better. Oh, and trust me...not waking up and infant who has just gone back to sleep so that you can take a kid to kindergarten is SOOOOO MUCH NICER!!!

With homeschooling, you can take a month or so off, make it up in the summer (or you may not even need to depending on where your child is in school and her abilities). You just play it by ear. I surely do not recommend putting them in PS when they are starting out. It is much harder then for them and for you when you take them away from friends and teachers they look forward to having, etc.
May 29th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
I haven't read all the responses, but I have to say that I have a friend whose older 2 daughters were in school when her baby was born and it was a NIGHTMARE. As soon a baby was asleep for morning nap, it was time to pick up younger daughter. Then when baby went down for afternoon nap, it was time to pick up the oldest. Baby was fussy ALL THE TIME, mom was feeling crazy (more than she did with her other 2) and it just wasn't good. Then school let out and baby can fall into her routine and in two weeks of no school, baby has become MUCH happier. Coincidence? Possibly, but I know I wouldn't want to have to try to juggle naps and school pickups after seeing her do it!
May 29th, 2007, 10:40 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Another vote for keeping her home. The only pro I can see of sending your daughter to school would be some one on one time with the new baby. As far as learning goes, she will probably learn less while at ps. Really it is best seen as a baby sitter and not a very good one at that. Cons to ps are also that even 1/2 a year might mean your dd will need de- schooling. Children get into the ps mind set very easily and quickly. Such as The teacher does it this way, so this way is right, only this way is school. Also some schools may try and give you grief when it comes time to pull out. IMO it will be a wonderful time for your daughter to learn about caring for babies. Real life skills. Don't worry if you do little school, studies show that even so-so homeschooling gives kids better scores then ps.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 29th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You could even pick a really easy curriculum that lays it out for you- basically if you wanted to do school that day all you would have to do is pull out a couple books and games and that's it. Plus, school doesn't have to happen during school hours- you can put baby down to sleep, do school for 1/2 an hour and still get time for a nap before baby wakes up.

May 30th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm wishing I came here first and asked opinions before mentioning the thought of putting her in school 2 weeks ago to my DH and registering her "just in case" that's what I felt like doing. I registered her with the thought of thinking about it, and then if/when deciding against it, could just decide not to send her after all. Well, I was talking to DH last night after reading some replies here, and since she's all registered now, he thinks we should just send her to school this year, and then take her out at the end to go back to homeschooling, and he thinks it'll be easier on me with the baby. I MADE IT VERY CLEAR TO HIM THAT I NEVER WANTED TO GIVE UP HOMESCHOOLING PERMANENTLY. Even though at the beginning of this, he was saying that "if I decided not to send her, we just wouldn't and we'd just go on with our original plans." Now, he's not wanting me to pull her out right now. Wants to give it a try. He did say the door isn't closed to pulling her out mid-year, if we see that needs to be done. So, now I'm STUCK sending her to school now b/c DH thinks it'll be good and won't let us change our minds (cause it's not just MY decision I guess even though it was MY decision to think about it), unless I can prove to him somehow that pulling her out mid-year would be better for her when the time comes than leaving her in the whole year. Maybe 1/2 year would be better than whole year at this point, unless somehow he changes his mind before the start of school. As far as having to pick her up/drop her off at school, I'm hoping the school bus will work out so I dont have to leave home and disrupt Alyssa's schedule. But, I'd still have to get her dressed/fed/lunch made. I'm really wishing I came here and asked your opinions before opening my mouth to DH. I'm stuck sending her now b/c of it and him not agreeing to me changing my mind about it. UGH!

Do you think supplementing some HS time in when she's on her track out break, and some in the evenings when I can will keep her memory fresh enough of her homeschool days that it may be somewhat easier to get her back into it? I also want to keep her challenged so she doesn't slip behind. Right now she's a little ahead of the level she should be at, and don't want to see her loose that. I'm just frustrated now. Although, I've known lots of kids that have experienced some ps, and still went on to have a great HS experience. Even if I bring her back to HS, I'm afraid that in the future she may ask to go back to school. She's been asking to go to school even before I thought about sending her, and would always tell her, "No, when you're 18 and go to college." Maybe experienceing some school could nip that out of her till college? Ha! I'm almost hoping that she has a bad experience like getting in trouble a lot for talking too much so that she WON'T want to go back! She's a very friendly, outgoing person that will never shut up!

BTW, they called this am to change the track on us from 2 to 1. At least track 1 is better. If she does get stuck having to go all year b/c of DH, she'll end on June 3 vs. June 27.
May 30th, 2007, 10:41 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
My personal opinion is that it is not up to the child whether they are homeschooled at age 6 or 7 - because at that age, they do not know what is best for them and you do. Beyond that age, it is still touch and go. I will not let my kids say "I want to go to school" and that make me send them.

Bryce is in ps and he is very intelligent. They make sure to hold him with his class each year even though he is very capable of moving on and excelling in his work. By the end of the school year, your daughter will be right where she is supposed to be because unless they enroll her in a gifted class, she will be held back while the others catch up. Personally, I think that kids who are really smart or really advanced benefit greatly from homeschooling for that Kindergarten year and starting school in first grade if they are going to start school at all. When I was a kid, Kindergarten was OPTIONAL. As well, it should be now. But it isn't. The only way to get around sending your child to Kindergarten is to register as homeschool for that year.

Like you, I have restraints with Bryce. My EX says no to homeschooling and without a big fight (which may soon come), I cannot homeschool my oldest son!
May 30th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry about the conflicts with your Dh, my Dh would do the same thing. To him he would suddenly be worried because of my worry and then think I couldn't do it and we couldn't do it if I was unsure. Perhaps that is the problem with your Dh? And yes my 3 year old talks about "going to school" too because her cousin goes and mommy and daddy go. My Dh always tells me not to worry about that because she has no idea what she is saying and doesn't know what school is. Plus I remember being disappointed once I was in school, thinking it would be better than it was. Anyway, good luck on having a new baby and getting ready for school with your DD.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

May 30th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Kangaroo510
I wanted to go to school when I was little because we would drive by the middle school and I would see the kids playing on the playground. Needless to say I'm glad my mom didn't give in.

I think the first years are cruicial to a childs developement. I know a lot of people that say "I'm going to put them in school for the first few years and then homeschool them". I think you really miss your window of opportunity by doing that. A 5 year old is like a sponge, if you are pro homeschooling why would you want your sponge soaking up somebody elses influences and ideas. Just my opinion though!
May 30th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sorry your dh won't give in now- you could explain to him all your reasons again and how ultimately it would be easier on you to hs- but if he's like my dh once he's made a decision its stuck.
I don't know how easy or hard it would be to pull a kid out mid year but I'd imagine that it would be difficult especially if she has a good experience, loves her teacher, and makes friends easily...then once you start hsing her she may insist you do things a certain way because her beloved teacher did. Just a thought. You could tell dh that it may be harder to take her out mid year- by that point its almost worth avoiding the fight and letting her finish the year and use summer as a deschooling process...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search