Question

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 29th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What do you ladies do for yourselves to get a break or have some sanity? There's always the notion that homeschool moms go crazy half the time and that they never do anything for themselves. Since I know this isn't true with so many homeschooling moms because they really do value their own time and interests as well as their kids... what do you do?

If I need to get out I let Dh take the kids at least one night a week so I can have some time to go out by myself. I like to shop so this is often where I go. I also try not to spend money, which is easy since I always feel guilty spending unnecessary money. I also love to read and I try and do this as much as I can. When the kids go to bed I go on JM or read or I also like Star Trek- yes I am a nerd - late at night the Voyager reruns are on. I am also an artist and I will usually paint when the kids are asleep. This is why I never go to bed, I like my time to myself. These are the main things I do to keep my sanity.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

May 29th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I put both kids down at noon for their naps so I get two hours of peace and quiet all to myself everyday!! Sometimes I'll take a nap, read a book or do some sewing that I've been meaning to get to.
When I need to go out I peruse the second hand shops for some good deals

May 29th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I read or play Sudoku or take a bath or quilt or cross stitch or get on JM or scrapbook or talk to twiceinabluemoon on the phone for hours at a time... Honestly, because of the big kids' ages I don't need much me time. They are always outside or downstairs playing or listening to audiobooks or playing on the computer. The baby needs a lot of attention just because he's a baby, but even so he's spending more time wondering around playing and he's consolidated his naps into one a day and it's a long one. I never would've dreamed when A&C were little that it would be so much easier when they were bigger.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 29th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not much! None of mine take naps anymore, so there's no down time in the middle of the day. I try to get up before them most days. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. They seem to have a built-in alarm that goes off as soon as mom's feet hit the floor. Most of the time, they go to bed at night shortly before I do. Well, they are sent to bed earlier, but find a million reasons to get up or stay awake calling to me until I finally give up and go to bed myself. Even then, when I'm supposed to be sleeping, I get interrupted by little boys coming in to wake me up because: 1) I'm thirsty; 2) I can't sleep; or 3) Can I sleep with you? Sometimes they don't even wake me up to ask. They just go barreling across my face to squeeze between dh and me! We only have a full size bed and it doesn't accomodate 5 people very well. There have been many nights that I left the "comfort" of my little bed for the couch.
On the rare occassion that I do get some time to myself it's usually just to go get some groceries or other errands. Dh and I try to watch some TV together in the evenings when he's home (sometimes he works nights), but most of the time we end up pausing the movie several times to tend to kids who are supposed to be sleeping. Oh well, I guess I should be happy that they love me so much.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

May 30th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
If I'm up my boys want to be up. They take a nap, but it is a short one. Every night they end up in the bed with me. Maybe they think I'm lonely when DH goes to work at 2am. I don't mind that part. I get up before them and usually have an hour to myself and I do all of my computer stuff and twiddle my fingers..yeah right!! until they are ready to get up and play. I get my ME time when I leave them home with DH and I go get groceries, run errands, or window shop. I try not to go insane, though I have been known to grocery shop several times a week. I try to remind myself that they are only this little once and then they will be grown and want nothing to do with their old Momma! I enjoy it while it lasts.

May 30th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
If I'm up my boys want to be up. They take a nap, but it is a short one. Every night they end up in the bed with me. Maybe they think I'm lonely when DH goes to work at 2am. I don't mind that part. I get up before them and usually have an hour to myself and I do all of my computer stuff and twiddle my fingers..yeah right!! until they are ready to get up and play. I get my ME time when I leave them home with DH and I go get groceries, run errands, or window shop. I try not to go insane, though I have been known to grocery shop several times a week. I try to remind myself that they are only this little once and then they will be grown and want nothing to do with their old Momma! I enjoy it while it lasts. [/b]
Yep. I told my dh a little while back (when someone had asked when I found time for myself) that I had 6 years to myself before we had kids, and I'll have the rest of my life to myself after they've grown. I want to enjoy them while I can. It's hard some days not to let it bog me down and get frustrated, but then I just try to remember all the years I longed to have kids and couldn't. That usually snaps me out of it pretty good.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

May 30th, 2007, 06:52 AM
momroma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to momroma
Ok...I admit it.....I am a HUGE Young and the Restless fan.....Every day after the kids each lunch they have some quiet reading time, and I sit down for 1 hour and watch my show. I admit it...I am hooked!!!!!!!! That is really the only TV I watch, my husband works evenings, so I rarely go anywhere without the kids, which is fine, so I take my "break" for my show!!!!!

Trevor 14, Adelaide 11, Owen 7, Noah 4, Oliver 2 weeks!

May 30th, 2007, 10:10 AM
svecica's Avatar Veteran
Heh...I get my alone time when they go romp the neighborhood with the school kids in the afternoons. They always come straight to our door when the bus drops them off, before they even drop their bags at home, to see if my kids can come play. The kids also visit their dad for a few hours every other weekend usually. I usually just try to catch up on my sleep when they're with their dad! I like to play World of Warcraft or watch a dvd when they are out with their friends, or sometimes once they go to bed at night though.

When they take naps, I nap with them though. Family naps are a special snuggle time for us. =D

-incorrigible

May 30th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
ME TIME??????? what is that....I guess bubble baths, naps, JM and dates with DH.

May 30th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Kangaroo510
I recently started doing photography (my hobby) at the Braves Games here in atlanta. That was fun until it started to be more like work than pleasure. It was good for Aaron and Dahlia to get to spend time together though since he watched her while I was gone. I like to take naps with Dahlia and we usually do that for the morning nap on days we are at home. I LOVE going to Braves games and usually Aaron and I go together with some friends and we leave Dahlia at home with the grandparents or our good friend. We get the $1 tickets and I bring food for us so it's a pretty inexpensive date. We will probably start taking Dahlia now though cause she went Sunday and did fine. It's sometime I really enjoy and want to share with her. I love to watch Scrubs which I get from netflix. Unfortunately I'm on the last season that is on DVD so that pleasure is almost over. I used to scrapbook but I haven't done anything in a long time.
May 30th, 2007, 08:38 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My son takes a nap every day from 12-2/3pm. While he sleeps my daughter has quiet time, and I play SIMS or chat on the computer. I find I really need this time to recharge from the morning. Night time is good too as my kids go to bed well. My daughter dosn't always go till sleep till 9, but is in bed by 8. Normaly they both sleep all night apart from the occational dummy (paci) lost call from ds and a bad dream from dd. Luckly my kids have never had night terres or wonderd from bed, they both stay put.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 31st, 2007, 09:51 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I take a bath and read. I LOVE IT! Closing that door, turning on the fan and reading is HEAVEN!

I also take great relief in my midwifery training. It is such a different stress and so rewarding at times that I love it! It makes me remember who I am aside from the wife and mother.

Matthew and I watch movies or eat special meals when the stars are aligned and the kids get into bed and pass out in time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search