This threw me!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 30th, 2007, 12:25 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
I am a subscriber to a homeschool list-serv. A woman who just moved to TN posted today about her 4 year old that was in 1st grade (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and her 6 year old that was in 3rd grade!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT???? OMG are my kids that behind??? Are her kids just that smart??? Or did I miss something about homeschooling?? I was assuming we would stay on tartget for Scotty's grade and then if he get ahead, it is okay. But can you skip a homeschooled child like that? I mean, at this rate, the 4 year old will be out of school by the time she/he is 12 or 13. Can we do that??
May 30th, 2007, 12:28 PM
angeleyz's Avatar Veteran
I wouldn't see why not. Lots of homeschool parents do it. If they finish a 1st grade curriculum for instance and have mastered it before the next school year then sure, move them up to 2nd grade. I am bit shocked that they would be two full grade levels above what they should be though. Makes me wonder if this person is for real or not...

Dade: 7
Alora & Kylie: 5
Jada: 3

</div><div align="center"><div align='center'>My Personal Blog</div><div align="center">
</div></div>
May 30th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, the point with homeschool is to go at the pace of the child. If they want to zoom ahead good for them. My sister went to college at age 15, my brother and older sister at age 16. I didn't feel ready until 18. The point is that there is no age limit to the work. And some kids might be grades ahead in one area, but right on with others. This is the great freedom with homeschooling is that you don't have to stress about having your kids be ahead, but if they want to keep going then let them. It always bugs me that most ps atmospheres won't let kids do advanced work if they are ready for that and homeschool allows the room and freedom to expand the horizons.

ETA: Most kids even at age 12 or 13 if they were "technically" done, they wouldn't really be. They would still be learning, but probably just learning more of advanced material and at age 14 in most states they can take a couple community college classes so they can go on to that as well. They just need to meet with the dean.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

May 30th, 2007, 01:00 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
I think so.. Jae at 3.5 is just starting Kindergarten work and Declan at 5 is working mostly on 1st grade.. BUT in some area's they are more ahead and some area's not.
May 30th, 2007, 01:04 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
That was kind of my take on it. How could a 4 year old be working in 1st grade work. I mean, strenghts, yes. I know people whose children can read on a 4th grade level in Kindergarten. But to be completely 2 grades above in all subjects. I don't know!
May 30th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
miguel is all over the board that's why curiculum planning is so much fun for him. As long as they're learning it's hard to keep them straped into a grade level. The things they love they'll be further ahead the things they don't they may be on level, posibly behind, or even not as far ahead as other subjects. grade levels are artifical tracking of knowlege.

May 30th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Exactly!
May 30th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Some kids are ahead across the board. Ani is one of them. She is 7, would be a first grader. She chooses to "promote" herself on her birthday in February. This past February she decided she was in 5th grade. That is about where she is at academically. We don't use grade levels really nor do we use a curriculum that you could pinpoint a true grade level for. Since we homeschool we can be where the kids are when they are whether than is "on" level, behind, or ahead. In the homeschooling world you will find a higher than average number of kids well ahead of where they would be in public school, particularly as they get older. This is simply because they can move on at their own pace, plus many parents come to homeschooling because public school wasn't challenging their kids enough.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 30th, 2007, 03:28 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
Yes. I am thinking that my little guy who is 2 will be "skipping" ahead. He doesn't seem like he will be able to help himself. He knows most preschool stuff already, and I haven't been "teaching" him at ALL.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
May 30th, 2007, 04:38 PM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We don't assign grades. But Belle is ahead in every subject as well. The only things she is grade level on are scissor-skills (yes, this is actually on some K report cards! ) and penmenship. Beyond that she is at least 1 whole grade ahead in her "worst" subject. And up to 3 or more grades ahead in her "best" subjects. She is five right now. Will be 6 in 2 months.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

May 30th, 2007, 04:56 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I am a subscriber to a homeschool list-serv. A woman who just moved to TN posted today about her 4 year old that was in 1st grade (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and her 6 year old that was in 3rd grade!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT???? OMG are my kids that behind??? Are her kids just that smart??? Or did I miss something about homeschooling?? I was assuming we would stay on tartget for Scotty's grade and then if he get ahead, it is okay. But can you skip a homeschooled child like that? I mean, at this rate, the 4 year old will be out of school by the time she/he is 12 or 13. Can we do that??[/b]
Sure, why not? I was going to say Heather's Ani is 7 and at least 4th grade.
With homeschooling it is better not to think too much to what grade your child is at. There is the grade they would be at if they went to ps which is to do with there age and really is for convention sake only. Such as when someone asks "What grade are you in?" But as to what they work to... well that can be 'ahead' or 'behind' or all 'over the shop'

Dang my ridfe is here, gotta go! will come back to this later.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 30th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Kangaroo510
Ok, I started to write about 5 different times, each time deleting what I wrote because once I sounded like a pretentious ##### then I sounded like a couldn't put a thought together, then I sounded like I was crazy. Anyway, I don't think we should worry about grades when it comes to homeschool. I know I don't want my child being the homeschooler that walks around saying "I'm 5 grade levels ahead!". I would rather her show her maturity (Gosh, lets hope she has some) through her actions than having to tell people about it. I don't plan on assigning a "grade" until much later in life. I think the early years are all about learning. No lables! If I wanted her to be labled I would put her in public school.
May 30th, 2007, 05:57 PM
here here..exactly/.I say "8th and Declan I say K because accordign tot he school and our approval process that is where they would be. Yes Declan is doing 1st and some 2nd grade work..but I don'te tell him that..LOL.. he would be the kid tellig the world he was smarter than "whomever"..lol
May 30th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Ok I am back.

To finish...I hate having to leave a post unfinished!
Your kids are not 'behind' they are simply where they are at. Learning should be a journey, you might go ahead for awhile then camp out at a place and perhaps take some side tours till your ready to move on again. Doesn’t matter that the tour company buzzes by you, they have to get to x stop by nightfall because it's a group and the journey is set before hand.
You can go home with a lot of information on one spot while the company seems to have covered so much more. But later you realize they have to come back to that spot another 5 times because they didn't really get it the first time and meanwhile you have looked at two more things in depth.

Maybe her kids are that smart. Great for them. Being that smart may bring up other issues they have to deal with though. Maybe they have other areas of weakness they need to deal with, things that may not be a problem for your kids.

Homeschooling does tend to make for smarter kids, yes. You can't beat that one on one, stick till you understand then move on model. No time wasters of 'homework' or busy work.

They are not really skipping, just working to there level. Schools simply can't do that. They have to have age policies. If not they might have too many in one class, or the younger or older kids may not fit in socially so well. Grades, tests, revision and set curriculum are ways of dealing with large numbers of children. Even the amount of writing in schools is a way to keep children quiet.

Well she may have completed grade 12 work but she wouldn't be out of school. I think every place has some upper age range that kids must be schooled to. They would simply go on and do college level work and or self teach subjects of interest in more depth.

May 30th, 2007, 08:58 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
I guess I was really referring to Scotty - he is almost 4 and so totally NOT doing anything a first grader can do. Lord help him, he is learning the ABC's. Speech delays are so wonderful! Bryce is really smart, but you are right...they hold him back in ps. He is going into 3rd grade, though really, academically, he is reading 4th and 5th grade chapter books, doing pre-algebra at home, but then again fighting with cursive writing. Go figure.

I think what i was not understand is how you can classify a child as that advanced. BUT I see that as hs parents, we can't say...okay, he/she is 12, time to graduate highschool. I guess now my question is, how DO we allow them to graduate when they are ready to? What if they are only 16??
May 30th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Quote:
I guess I was really referring to Scotty - he is almost 4 and so totally NOT doing anything a first grader can do. Lord help him, he is learning the ABC's. Speech delays are so wonderful![/b]
I know it is hard. I have totally been there freaking out with worry because my child simply wasn't and isn't one of these super homeschooled kids. She is a great kid with a wonderful imagination but academically with things like ABC's and numbers she's pretty bad. Or seems bad when compared. Oh that comparing thing is deadly. It saps all your joy. Then as soon as they finally do catch on you start thinking about the next thing and when will they get to that and will 'All' the other kids have attained that level while she is still struggling with what came before let alone with what they are doing. Here I am with a 5 1/2 year old and we are still learning the alphabet. At 4 I made up letter themes and she had fun, but she only learnt a few letters. S and P and sometimes M (dh likes to point out you can spell that PMS probably because I was having kittens over her non learning) It has taken me a long time to be mostly ok with it. I say mostly because I do still have my panic moments.
So firstly Scotty is only nearly 4, so that means he's still 3. There is a big difference in 3 3/4 to 4 1/4 and so on up. You can be looking at the difference of 4,5 or 6 months. Kids can do huge things in that time. If you are providing a stimulating environment (which I am sure you are!) then he is right where he is meant to be. If he is ready to pick up academics then he will, if not it's ok too.

Quote:
I think what i was not understand is how you can classify a child as that advanced. BUT I see that as hs parents, we can't say...okay, he/she is 12, time to graduate highschool. I guess now my question is, how DO we allow them to graduate when they are ready to? What if they are only 16??[/b]
I guess if you are homeschooling and your 6 year old can do the work in a curriculum graded as being on grade 3 level, then you could saftly say they are on that level at least for the curriculum they are using.
I believe there are college courses you can take at home. I don't think there are age stipulations on that. Or nothing to stop them acquiring some college level books and studying as they choose.

May 30th, 2007, 09:43 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
How does a child "graduate" from homeschooling?? Or is it different in every state as to when and with what requirements met?
May 30th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It depends on the state and finachail aid. I plan to have miguel either take his GED or take an ability to achieve test so he can resive aid but I have at least 10 years before I even have to think about that.

May 31st, 2007, 01:54 AM
I think there a number of different options. You could use a curriculum/online school that can issue an official diploma. Take certain college courses and gain credits. Take a GED or SAT (I think it's called?)
I know here a teenager can take a certificate 1 course at TAFE (like a lower level college. Any one can go there) then with that they can then apply to a uni. These TAFE courses give them credits.
I only tend to think a few years ahead and not much on Uni or TAFE because with at least 10 years to go we figure things might change.

May 31st, 2007, 04:42 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
For the record, Ani doesn't tell people she's a fifth grader unless they really push her with the "what grade are you in" questions that everyone throws at her. Or when someone tells her she shouldn't be homeschooling, she should go to public school because it's so much better. Usually she just says grades don't really matter or just says she's in first grade. She knows most people doesn't atually care when they ask what grade she is in.

As for your 4 year old being "behind," he's not. Take what Jo said about her 5 1/2 year old daughter and pretend my name is on the end of it and the pronouns are all masculine and there you have my Cameron. He's learning his letters now, but it's slow going. He has trouble remembering them. But he'll get there. IMO he's not behind and Ani's not ahead. They are right where they are and it's right for them. Besides, what is ahead or behind varies so much state to state and even county to county so it's hard to pinpoint. Even with reading, some teach it in kindergarten and others in first grade so are the first graders learning to read in one state "behind" the kindergarteners learning to read in another? Nope. It's just where they are.

As for graduating, most places you simply declare them graduated. If a kid finishes high school you can send them to college even if they are younger than "normal" (I did it!). I even know of a few 12 year olds that are taking/have taken college courses. They were ready for it. Nowadays a lot of community colleges and some universities have on-line classes so you don't have to actually send a young child to a college in order for them to take college classes. I took my GED because the college couldn't figure out why I'd be taking courses without having graduated. But that was in the 90s before homeschool graduates started becoming more and more common. Many colleges now have policies about homeschoolers and most no longer require a GED. They simply require certification (from the parents) that the child has completed the requirements to graduate (and of course those requirements are designed by the parents). I have also heard about kids who finished their high school work early and then spent time volunteering or apprenticing. For example, one finished at 14 and then worked (volunteered) at a living history place nearby. She's a professional living history interpreter today as an adult (you know, those people who dress in costume at places like Colonial Williamsburg and pretend to be from that time).

There really are a lot of options for an early finishers. Also, just because a kid is ahead now does not mean things might change. They could get very sick and have to take time off. Their family could take a huge trip and choose not to do formal school for a year. They could hit a stumbling block and come to a standstill in their advancement. They could get burned out and unschool for a while. In our case, it doesn't matter what level Ani's at because Sonlight doesn't match up to grade levels. We're using Core C this year for both kids and that's what used to be Sonlight's "kindergarten" labelled course (of course it's for like ages 5-8 so you can see how they don't match up with typical grade levels). When she's ready to be done with formal homeschooling we'll cross that bridge then. I honestly don't expect that to be in 5 or 6 years though (12 or 13 years old). I'm figuring on it being 8 or 10 years from now (15 or 17 years old).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search