Help, please?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 31st, 2007, 05:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Since the discussion came up about that attendance requirements, I figured I would give myself a refresher in the laws here in FL. My mind is now spinning in circles with all of the statutes and such! It doesn't seem to be to bad. We don't have an attendance requirement, but I have to get them evaluated once a year and file the evaluation with the school superintendent. Also, keep records for up to 2 years.

Do ya'll have to keep records? If you do, what kind of things do you keep? Do you have to get your children evaluated? What are the things ya'll do to get them evaluated?

May 31st, 2007, 05:29 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Looking at the HSLDA page on FL, you don't have to do anything until "attained the age of 6 years by February 1" so you have a couple of years to go. The letter of intent says it is not annual. So I guess that means only one time.
"Maintain a portfolio of records and materials" simply means you keep some worksheets or photos of things you have done. Not a lot just a selection, such as one good page of writing per month. You probably would want to keep any nicly done work anyway. Just stick it in a folder and label it with your childs name and age.
As to testing I don't think that is too hard either, going by what Heather said another time I don't think that starts till end of first grade.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 31st, 2007, 05:31 PM
angeleyz's Avatar Veteran
We don't have to keep records here but I plan to. I use edu-track which makes it incredibly simple to keep track of everything ( http://www.edu-track.com ). We do have attendance requirements though. I also plan to take pictures of the things my kids do and make (a photo-journal so to speak) as records as well.

Dade: 7
Alora & Kylie: 5
Jada: 3

</div><div align="center"><div align='center'>My Personal Blog</div><div align="center">
</div></div>
May 31st, 2007, 05:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It never even dawned on me to use the photos of him doing stuff. I'm telling ya, I must be having a serious blonde day.

May 31st, 2007, 05:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Once we declare we do have to keep records I *think* but I'm starting now so I can get the hang of it and by the time I declare I will already have 2 years worth of records- we have no attendance laws here so I don't have to worry about that.
Don't get overwhelmed! HSLDA breaks it down much easier for you!

May 31st, 2007, 05:42 PM
Also reading the HSLDA site refreshed my memory. You only send in your intent after he turns 6, then you don't have to test till a year later at 7. At that point you can say he is first or second grade depending on his level.

May 31st, 2007, 05:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh you know what? we do have attendance...sort of- 180 days or an annual average of 1000 hours for instruction- guess its good I'm practicing keeping those records! I'd be the one who forgot and get in trouble!

May 31st, 2007, 05:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I thought about getting the psychological evaluation rather than testing. Do ya'll know what that includes? I am going to wait to send my letter of intent until the very last minute. I'm not giving them anything that isn't required.

I'm glad I checked b/c I really have forgotten and I thought the letter had to be sent by 5 and I thought we did have attendance requirements. That just goes to show what I know.

May 31st, 2007, 06:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
psychological evaluation? really? That is so weird to me that they would have that as an option.

Yeah, I guess I forgot what our laws were too- but I won't have to declare for a couple years yet so I guess I shouldn't worry yet.

May 31st, 2007, 06:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well, I really don't know what I'm going to do yet. I can have him evaluated by a certified teacher, but I would have to find one. I can have him do the FL standard test which I refuse b/c them tests are a joke!

May 31st, 2007, 06:16 PM
I bet having that extra year is a relief!

Hmmm personaly I would not touch psychological tests or evaluations with a barge pole. The standidized test would be easier. If you at all unsure as to his level you simply ask for the grade 1 test.

May 31st, 2007, 06:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That makes sense! Yes I am thankful for the extra time.

I know I'll get it all figured out. Thanks for the help and advice!!

May 31st, 2007, 08:17 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
In NC I only have to keep attendance record and administer one standardized test, I think. And I only have to turn in the attendance record to the state. The test scores I just keep on file in my home for review, if needed. We don't have to registe until age 7 though so I haven't had to deal with any of it yet.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
May 31st, 2007, 08:23 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We have to prove progress each year. I give the CAT-E Survey from http://www.setontesting.com It's very easy.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 1st, 2007, 06:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Did you have to get those approved before you could use them?

June 1st, 2007, 06:51 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
In Maine you can hs in 2 different ways: 1--make a portfolio at the end of the year and have a certified teacher look over it...has to make sure you have met the attendance requirements and that the child has made progress...the teacher signs a form that the requirements were met...you also have to do Maine history between certain grades and other requirements; 2--become a non-approved private school and pretty much have your own rules--no one has to approve anything, no testing is required. We are doing the non-approved private school. Actually the lady who is the leader of our hs'ing group has a private school that others are legally allowed to sign in under. All we have to do is sign a paper. She knows us and we talk every now and then about what we are doing and how things are going. We like it this way. This will be the first year we become a non-approved private school because Belle is now old enough that we have to do something legally to register. So we will do it this summer.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (13.75), Ryllan (11.5), Finn (7.5), and Zane (4).

June 1st, 2007, 07:11 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Nope. We can use any nationally normed standardized test. The CAT qualifies.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 1st, 2007, 07:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'll have to look into that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search