Going to start Homeschooling this Aug

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 31st, 2007, 06:44 PM
SassyGirl25's Avatar Mommy to 5
How did you set up your schedule? I will be going through a charter school this coming Aug... using the K12 program. I am soo excited. My oldest child is the one who will be homeschooled. My son Alex will officially start next year after he turns 5.. but I plan on starting with him this Aug as well.. that leaves my 2yr old and my 6 month old. They take regular naps and such I just need a start lol.. I am not sure what I am doing and have not recieved any of my supplies yet.. soon I hope lol.. anyway.. any information/help/advice you can offer I am listening TIA!

ETA: My oldest is 7 going into Second

May 31st, 2007, 06:56 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to the board.
I don't know much about charter schools. Is that where they send you the books and you return work to a teacher? I think I would be careful not to overdo things. So if it's padded out with busy work to skip it unless your son likes doing that.
Some of them give you enough work for a ps school day, when at 7 you only need 1 1/2 to 3 hours. My main advice would be to do short lessons and if you find there is too much written work (boys are notorious for not liking much written work) then have him do it orally. If hes a wiggle worm then find hands on methods such as games to cover the same material.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 31st, 2007, 07:15 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Welcome! Our schedule varies. We are go with the flow sort of people. I am Heather and Ani is 7 and Cameron is 5 1/2 and Fritz is 10 months.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 31st, 2007, 07:21 PM
SassyGirl25's Avatar Mommy to 5
oh.. and my oldest is a girl LOL.. Madison is very into school.. loves math the most. I log our hours online and there is a teacher that I touch base with daily. I am not sure all the details yet since I have only spoken to them a few times. But our paperwork is all set and I am just waiting on the supplies

May 31st, 2007, 07:26 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oops sorry, I read that as you having two boys as the older ones. A girl who is very into school might well find that just her cup of tea!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 31st, 2007, 07:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
With them sending you all the supplies and being in such close contact, I'll bet they set the schedule for you or at least write all the lesson plans for you.
We don't really have a set schedule either- we do school sometime before noon b/c noon is his naptime/quiet time.

June 1st, 2007, 08:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Welcome! I looked into K12 a bit too. The cost (free!) makes it very attractive, but it does seem like a heavy workload with lots of deadlines. This could work for us, but I like the idea of being in charge of my own homeschool. My guess is with k12 the schedule would be an all day every day kind of thing. In fact, if I remember correctly, their site had a sample schedule and it went from 8 am to 8pm or something like that. Then again, if your child works quickly it probably wouldn't really take that long at all.
Good luck and have fun homeschooling. Nice to have you on the board.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
June 1st, 2007, 02:48 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
I am with the others. I began homeschooling with my pre-k age son just a few weeks ago. So far, we have made HUGE progress. I toyed with the idea of doing a charter or even umbrella school, but my little one is so kinetic that there is just no way. We love to learn "our way" and I don't want anyone telling me not to. That is one of the great joys of homeschooling for me.

My oldest son is almost 8 and starting 3rd grade in public school. Unfortunately, I can't pull him out and homeschool just yet because his dad and I are divorced and his dad will not agree to it. However, I am working with him this summer and having a blast! We are doing Math-u-see (which is wonderful, BTW...just ask the ladies here!) and cursive writing and he is really enjoying working ahead.

I think your approach this year will give you an idea next year if you really want such rigidity in your life or it will give you the urge to say "ya know what?? I can do this!"

As for where to start - one of the things that was important to me was setting up my space for Scotty. I asked the women here about their school rooms (which a good majority of them choose not to have them at all) and got ideas from those who posted pictures. I have also read a lot of books - "The Homeschooling Handbook" "Homeschooling the middle years (ages 8-12),"Homeschooling the Early Years," Homeschooling on a shoestring," "Family Matters - Why Homeschooling Makes Sense," and I am anxiously awaiting my copy of "Creative Homeschooling for Gifted Children."

With my preschooler, I started at the beginning. Young kids do not need "Curriculum" at this stage - so I purchased some "Everything you need to know Pre-K" books from Wal-Mart and started there to see what he knew. I am also using Preschool CD's on the computer to make learning more fun. We do a lot of arts and crafts, coloring and drawing. One of my favorite books is "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom." I have the book and tape and Scotty LOVES it. It has really helped him get excited about the ABC's. With little kids, you just have to get creative and tailor it to how they learn. Like I said, Scotty is Kinetic (hands on), Bryce is a concrete thinker - put it in front of him, he does it. Workbooks, tests, he thrives on it.

Best of luck as you and your daughter find your place in the world of homeschooling! Glad to have you with us.
June 1st, 2007, 08:52 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
Glad to have you here. I am not experienced with Charter schools either but if that is what you like then great. I have a 5.5 year old, a 4 year old, and a 21 month old. ALL BOYS! Ahh! LOL We have been doing kindy so our schedule has been pretty lax. Next year I will step it up a bit, but not much. Good luck and if you have any more specific questions, just ask. There is a plethora of knowledge here!

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search