Beginning to teach reading

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 1st, 2007, 08:30 AM
Veteran
Greetings everyone! I just posted my info in the sticky above but wanted to introduce myself again. My name is Stacey and I have a 2 year old son named James. We are considering homeschooling in the early years (before grade 2 or 3) but haven't made the decision 100% yet.

James seems to be obsessing about letters recently. He knows his alphabet and can read capital and lower case letters. He's constantly asking me how to spell various words and then trying to memorize them. He's memorized about 5 or 6 words so far. All day long, he talks about letters. Even at night when he's trying to fall asleep, I hear him reciting the alphabet or spelling words. He's practically begging me to teach him to read. Part of me thinks that I should work with him since he's so interested, but I don't want to push him. Most of the reading programs I've read are too advanced for him. What are your suggestions? Drop it? Teach him letter sounds? Start some kind of phonics program?

www.choicesoaps.com - Luxury Handmade Soap
-You've never seen soap like this before!-

June 1st, 2007, 08:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'd say just keep doing what youre doing. Introduce letter sounds to him since that is the next step before reading and figuring out spelling on your own. Have fun, make games of it since he likes it. Do letter puzzles and that sort of thing. My son started reading at 2 as well and by 4 could read entire books. We didn't use any sort of program, just mommy and son time. I didn't push any of it and would never recommend pushing a child to read who isn't interested, but your son sounds alot like mine at that age. He craved the learning, so I did my best to supply it.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
June 1st, 2007, 08:58 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I totally agree with Motherbird. My nephew was like your son starting at about 20 months. Erik was reading all sorts of stuff by the time he turned 3. He's almost 4 now. My sister didn't really do anything specific with him until he asked to learn to read. In fact, one night when he said his prayer he said "And please help Momma to teach me to read tomorrow." So then she started working with him. She used a combination of Hooked on Phonics and The Reading Lesson, but only started with that stuff when he was 3 and already was reading CVC words. She did up to that point with him naturally.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 1st, 2007, 10:07 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Belle recognized many words by 2 as well. And by about 3.5 she was reading books--books we had never read before so I know she was reading them. I didn't teach her to read though. All I did was read to her a lot. Since she was born. By the time she was 2 mos we would read for a couple of hours at a time and by 4 months she was turning the pages for me. lol. I am not sure how she learned all the letters or the phonics sounds. We had flashcards that came with a book that when she was about 12 months...old enough to not eat them...I had them on the same shelf as some of her books. She looked at them a lot. Sometimes she would ask me what a certain letter was. And as for phonics sounds she asked all the time when she was about 12-18 months "what letter does ___ start with?" So answer his questions, read to him, have things around that have the letters (things he can play with...nothing formal)....flashcards (not for drills, just that he plays with), magnets on the fridge (Leap Frog has 1 that tells phonics sounds and another that tells phonics sounds and short words--I didn't have any of those when Belle was little though). There is also a cute little DVD series from Leap Frog, also didn't have this for my dd but I do have it for my ds. Leap Frog DVDs

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

June 1st, 2007, 02:27 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome Stacey.

Your son sounds gifted, so even without a programme I bet he will be picking up reading over the next year. I would read ABC books using the sounds of the letters, play games with fridge magnets such as jumping on letters sounds you call out, seeing if he can pick out all the aah's or all the bbh's ect and 'feed' them to a toy that is hungry for just that letter. He would probably also like to spell words with them. Show him word families such as with "at' you can make hat, mat, cat etc just by changing the first letter. I would have 2 or 3 sets to make sure there are plenty of letters. Make letters using playdough, wool, whatever you can think off. My daughter has taken to making letters out of sticks in the backyard and jumping over them. I would start with his name if he doesn’t know that already. I second the leap pad products, the letter factory and word factory dvd's are excellent. I would just play around like that rather then buying a programme.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
June 1st, 2007, 10:33 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with the others...

I would show my Remy a letter and say its sound. I didn't bother with the name of the letter...he got that on his own through daily life and pbs. By the age of four he was sounding out itty words with a short vowel. Have fun with it and let it be a game. Keep us up on how it is going!

June 2nd, 2007, 06:45 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Speaking of short vowels. We sang Old MacDonald had a farm AEIOU. And on that farm he had an A...With an ah, ah here and an ah, ah there...

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

June 2nd, 2007, 07:07 AM
Veteran
WOW! You guys have been so helpful! Every single reply has something in it that I can easily incorporate into our day. Interestingly, this morning at the breakfast table, James grabbed a book and started picking out letters, saying some of the letter sounds, and then saying a word that starts with that letter. I suppose he picked it up from some alphabet books or something. It amazes me what sponges those little minds are! I will work with him on letter sounds and then combinations of letters. Love the idea of rhyming words too. Thank you all so much!

www.choicesoaps.com - Luxury Handmade Soap
-You've never seen soap like this before!-

June 2nd, 2007, 09:47 AM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
like i said in my update post, we use a magnadoodle, and if he can spell it, then he can read it!

i remember learning to read with 2 books my mom would always read to me, and one day i just started reading it, and from that i recognized letters and the sounds they made...ooo gotta go! sorry PTing a 2 year old!
² married to matt ²
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
²

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I ♥ triathlon, running & hot yoga!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search