Has anyone done K12?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2007, 09:08 AM
twiceinabluemoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Is that what it is called? It will be knew in our city next year. I am thinking about enrolling my oldest daughter. This would be to help appease my husband that we are doing what we 'need to be doing'. He isn't exactly supportive on anything non traditional (aka school at home). But my children learn best from Unschooling and Unit type of situations. So, this is kind of creating an issue.

Anyway, she is the one that doesn't do best with unschooling. She needs a bit more structure than that. And I think it might be a decent compromise between me and my husband.
I was looking at public schools and really just ended up kind of sick. SO, I don't think that is the right decision.

I'll Cry if I Want to / My Photography Blog </div>
June 19th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I haven't used K12, but I did look into it a bit. I was tempted by the free price tag and the idea that everything is set up for you and prepackaged. I was eventually turned off by the due dates and tight schedule. Other than that, it looks like a solid program, and does offer some flexibility in grade levels I think. It definitely sounds like something that might be a good compromise for your daughter, especially if public school is the alternative.

My husband is the same way and didn't like the idea of homeschooling much until he saw the Calvert catalog. I think it looked public schoolish enough to make him feel safe. But the price tag on that- way too much for us! K-12 would be much better in that case I think. In the end, we ended up with an electic mix of Sonlight curriculum with a Well-Trained-Mind and Charlotte Mason approach. My husband turned out to be very pleased with the structure of Sonlight (he really is impressed with how much they learned from that program!) and I am happy that it fits in with my desire to have a natural/gentle but highly academic environment.

I hope you're able to find something that works for both you and your husband and most importantly, your daughter.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
June 19th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I've looked at K12 but the price is insane if you do it "independent". If I really wanted to do it it would have to be through a virtual school and they are not allowed here. It looks like a solid curriculum and it would be a good compromise for W. I think it could work very well for M. It wouldn't be a good fit for N, but I'm sure you know that.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 19th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've never heard of them...?

June 19th, 2007, 03:46 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have heard of K12, that it is a good programe but rather a lot of work. Which I am guessing means busy work. The main con I see with something like that is if you do one publishers entire programe you are restricting yourself to there levels. Unless they do placement tests and will give you differing levels if needed. The other thing is boredom if they stick to the same pattern for subjects.

Could you maybe get some of the different catalogs from various publishers to show your dh the range of what is available? What subjects is he concerned most about? Reading and maths? Someone I know online does Abeka LA and Maths which keeps her dh happy, while science, history etc she does as a unit study.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search