Math for upper grades?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Allison, Shery, Jen, anyone else with older kids.... what do you use for Math?? I need a good, challenging program for Evan. He'll being doing 7th grade Math in the fall, but I'm not sure which program to use. I love the look of Teaching Textbooks, but it's sooo expensive. He tried the demo and loved it too and really hopes to use it. But as I've mentioned I'm trying to keep curriculum costs down. He is strong in Math, it's one of his favorite subjects, and he needs a good program since he's hoping to get into the Math and Science high school (and they will most likely want to know which program he used.)

Anyway, hoping maybe someone here has suggestions?

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
June 19th, 2007, 02:56 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Noah is in 8th and using MUS.. we tried so much beforehand and MUS is so perfect for Noah.
June 19th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi,
I suggest Saxon Math! If you want him to be challenged in something that he is strong in, Saxon will be great. The lessons are very long, but the great thing is that you can go through and circle the problems that he needs the most work on. What I love is that it is constantly reviewing past lessons, so if there is an area that she needs more work on, she will get it. I am using it for all of my children.
Another good thing about Saxon is that it prepares them well for testing. I'm not saying that it should be used for this reason alone, but it is great to see them test well if you do that once a year for records.
There are different styles of the Saxon textbooks, tests, etc. If you are interested in it, I can share more with you...show you what I have used and what I am using.
June 19th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
When I was homeschooled for math my parents started with A Beka. I HATED IT!!! Then they looked at Saxon and realized it would kill any love of math I ever had. BORING! They got Alpha Omega LifePacs and I really liked them. They must've worked okay since I did through trig and took trig in college and got an A quite easily (most of the rest of the class dropped or failed). I wish Math-U-See had been around. I would've LOVED that and the upper grades are very solid since they re-did them.

But I will say if he likes Teaching Textbooks and it would work for him, I would spend the money for it. This is his education and you don't want to kill his love of math and you want him to be challenged. It is worth a little extra money IMO.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 20th, 2007, 05:39 AM
willischomp's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to willischomp
Aaron will be using BJU for everything this year. I have heard really good things about Teaching Textbooks though!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search