pre-k or K?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 20th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I'm wondering how do I know when to move Jared & Justin from pre-k to K? Right now they're still learning their letters & sounds, but are doing very well. Jared is beginning to sound out words to begin reading. We haven't worked in the Explode the Code books in a while, but they are on book B--Get Set for the Code. They are learning number recognition & grouping and we will be starting Primer in MUS soon. They know their shapes & colors, position words, can work simple mazes with no problems, are beginning to write their names. We're working on days of the week. We'll be moving on to the months & seasons when they have that down. Am I missing anything? I'm not sure how far they can each count. That's something we don't really do consistently (need some fun ideas), but I know Jared can at least go to 20 (usually skipping #14) and Justin can go to at least 10 (usually skipping #8).
So when do I consider them Kindergarten level?
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

June 20th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think Eathan is still in between, just b/c he still hasn't grasped a few concepts.

Somebody posted this and it has A LOT on there, but I'm using it as a general guideline. It has all grades.

Guideline

June 20th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Wow! Thanks for posting that! I must have missed it before. I read through the preschool list and really the only thing on there that they aren't doing is address & phone number. We've been working on phone number, but not consistenly. So, I guess they've just been bumped up to Kindergarten. Cool!
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

June 20th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yay!! You have kindergarteners!!

June 20th, 2007, 10:39 AM

Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

June 20th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I feel ya!! Eathan can stay in pre k for as long as he wants to.

June 20th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I don't really differentiate. If people ask I go by age-mate level. Cameron's tricky because he misses the cut-off in VA by 3 days due to his birthday and in some states would be a kindergartener this year. So I decided he could be a kindergartener since almost all his friends who are his age are. What is expected of pre-k vs. k varies so widely from state to state and county to county as well. Plus pre-k isn't required before kindergarten. The way I look at it grade levels are rather arbitrary anyway since most kids are not all one grade in every subject so I just don't worry about what grade they really are and figure they are at the level they are and that's that.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 20th, 2007, 11:41 AM
I totally see your point. By age, Jared would have been in Kindergarten this past school year. I wouldn't have sent him though (if ps was an option) because he barely makes the cut-off date. Justin wouldn't be Kindergarten age until next year because he misses the cut-off date by about 6 weeks.
However, I'm still in that box to a degree. I guess it's because I *know* Jack is in 3rd because we took him out at the end of 1st grade and started hs'ing with 2nd. He knows his "grade" and has gotten the other 2 asking what "grade" they are in. I guess knowing their grade kind of gives them a goal to work toward (the next grade up).
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

June 20th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
We just go by age as well. It would be so hard for me to explain to someone what "grade" samuel is in. We say first, but that's not very accurate, really.

I understanding being "in the box" but give it a couple more years and they'll be all over the board, too, I'm sure.
June 20th, 2007, 01:19 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Well if non HS'ers ask then I go by what age they are so we don't scream weirdo any louder than we already do..lol.. Declan is all over..K in some, 1st or 2nd in others..but we just stick with K..even though he wouldn't be IN K until sept had he gone to school.
June 20th, 2007, 04:13 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really don't think it matters except as a social nicety. I just say prep (Which is Kindergarten) as a label for other people who ask what grade she is in. Kind of takes of the pressure if I say prep. Crazy system here could have her in first grade! It is totally normal for kids to be at different levels and for those to be even more so as they get older. So if they do maths at grade 1 level and read at grade 3 level but enjoy science at grade 5 level when they are actually grade 2 in age it doesn’t matter. Sarah is at pre K and K level.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
June 21st, 2007, 06:10 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It is just crazy when I start thinking of grade levels.

Elijah has yet to show me a limit on what he can understand and keep in that beautiful mind of his. Remy as well. We do say the age-grade thing for others who aren't so enlightened.

June 21st, 2007, 09:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Luckily people haven't started asking us since DS isn't quite K age yet. He could be in preK but its not necessary and they know I stay home with him so I guess they just assume I'm keeping him out for preK. I get enough funny looks/comments as it is when they find out we want to home school in the future. I can't imagine the looks I'll get when they ask what grade he's in.

But yeah, I use that worldbook link to double check preK/K readiness too. I printed it out b/c i'm anal like that But there are some things Ds is doing that's 1st/2nd grade level and some things he's right on target for. I guess when the time comes I'll just go with whatever his age is to avoid any more hassle than I'm already going to get.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search